+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Random Thoughts

Local Date
    12-16-2018
    Local Time
    02:52 PM

Re: Random Thoughts

My friend has a doggy door - her yard is fully fenced (Block wall).
    Coyotes climbed the wall & killed her dog.

I watched a hawk swoop down grab a rabbit & then sat on my fence. hawk had the rabbit it it's talon and started plucking the fur off.
    The hawk then tried to fly up to the fir tree but couldn't carry the rabbit. Other hawks help get the rabbit to the fir tree.
    Then all the hawks started to pluck the fur - it looked like it was snowing. very cool

Patsy

Local Date
    12-16-2018
    Local Time
    01:52 PM

The robins are migratory around here. They should show up some time in the next month or so. They like their little group and tend to hang out together, hitting the water dish and scratching at pecking in the yard.

While most of the hawks are year round, there is a big guy that comes in in the fall. As I understand it, these guys summer in the Rockies and head west for the winter. It is easy to spot them since they have such a wide wingspan. Oh, and they have feathered legs.

While we have coyotes, most don't venture quite this far down. I live about a mile or so from the foothills and there are a lot of easy pickin's closer to their home. Although there are many creeks with preserved space around them that are home to coyotes and feral cats. Some of those feral cats can be pretty nasty.

It has always been interesting to me to notice the bird migrations. Some species come in as a flock and then go their separate ways until it's time to go. Some are very social and hang out together, and some take it to the extreme doing everything as a group that is only separated by inches.

It's gonna sound crazy but the Orioles drive me nuts. They are beautiful to look at, but they show up during the season when I have to put out the hummingbird feeder. They are the only larger birds I have seen whose tongue is the right size and length to raid the hummingbird feeder. Those Orioles and suck a feeder dry in a day or two.

Local Date
    12-16-2018
    Local Time
    04:52 PM

Our Robins show up around March or April, nest and hatch young'uns and then disappear during the heat if June - August. Then show up again when the weather cools in late summer. Then they come and go with the weather. We must be on the very edge of their favorite range. We won't see them around through the Extreme cold in January-February, but a warming cycle will bring them around. then next snowfall, they vanish.

When we lived in Port St Lucie, we only saw them for a week or so in late fall, as they headed south, and a week or so in late Spring when they headed north. They came through by the thousands.

Right now, the Canada Geese and cranes are beginning their migrations.
    I plan to drive up to Nebraska and try to get some pics of the Sandhills and Whooping Cranes.
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so." - Will Rogers

Local Date
    12-16-2018
    Local Time
    09:52 PM

You've no idea how exotic that all sounds. I've never heard or seen a mocking jay the biggest wild canine round here are foxes and they hunt alone. Met a vixen with two cubs out walking one night, had a pub with me and it looked like they were going to play together till my other dog spotted the. Biggest bird of prey is a buzzard - have seen golden eagles but the gamekeepers on the shooting estate keep killing them and deny all responsibility - even though they are fitted with satellite trackers that suddenly stop working on their estate. The number of birds (or as we say burds) has declined noticeably over the years.

"One of my neighbors across the golf course came out with a rifle because the Hawks were perched around his patio. He had a small puppy at the time. "

Ah what different countries we live in - If one of my neighbours appeared with a rifle at his door there would be an armed response team on it's way as soon as someone could call the police and he'd be nicked at the very least.

Local Date
    12-16-2018
    Local Time
    02:52 PM

gmc
    My neighbor held that rifle up - OMG - it's pointed at me actually. I ran & screamed at my hubby ( hubby has played golf with him several times) - neighbor tried to hide the rifle and put it away. Hide - meaning it was along side of him. I said - he's trying to make me look like I'm nuts. just put your dog inside. There were @ 3 large hawks perched at the time - I'm sure the old fart neighbor was a good aim.... LOL that's why I ran...

Don't get me started on my Hummingbirds - I have @ 15 feeders through out my yard. 3 feeders in my kitchen window - they're busy all day long.. Beautiful...

I had a group on my patio - my Nephew & I were in the yard and hummingbirds were around.
    I told my Nephew to stand still and this one you'll be able to touch/pet... YES My nephew & I both were able to touch/pet the hummingbird..

The group of friends went wild... amazing

Patsy

Local Date
    12-16-2018
    Local Time
    04:52 PM

Last night, I took Pitstop out for her evening constitutional. I immediately heard the calling of an Owl. hoo-h-hoo, hooo, hooo.
    Then an answer from another across the field, and then a third. The first one was up in the big Locust over our driveway, very close.
    I listened as they called back and forth several times.
    I decided to join the conversation. It took a couple of tries, but it really isn't a hard call to mimic.

After the third or fourth try, I got a reply from them. All three started to answer me. After a few times, the one in the tree decided to come down closer to get a look at this interloper. He (she?) came out of the tree and perched on the edge of the roof of the garage.
    Beautiful in the porch light. Another call from this one, and I answered. She gave off another, slightly different call, and flew off. Her next call was from across the field in an old Cottonwood. I could hear the others answering her call, all of them now off in the distance.
    Wonder if they'll be back tonight.
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so." - Will Rogers

Local Date
    12-16-2018
    Local Time
    10:52 PM

You have amazing wildlife there! Hummingbirds and Orioles! (jealous!)

I'm wondering if the hawks you saw that co-operated to lift the rabbit into the tree and pluck it were Harris Hawks, which iirc are the only hawks that co-operate in groups and I think are native to you...
    The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"
    Lone voice: "I'm not."

Winter months-Florida, Summer months- New England
    Local Date
    12-16-2018
    Local Time
    06:52 PM

Register to remove this ad.
    Did you ever wonder, Should "electronic devices" fly when you put them in "Airplane Mode"?
    Cars
    <"LIFE is SHORT, Make the most of it!!!" GET OUTTA HERE!>
    <Love living Large!>
    <Home is where you're treated the best, but complain the most!>

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2