+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Random Thoughts

Local Date
    12-16-2018
    Local Time
    01:52 PM

Random Thoughts

It was a beautiful day. I was sitting outside on the patio enjoying a quiet cup of coffee when a mockingbird started up in a tree on one side of the yard. It was annoying. Still, I tried to enjoy my coffee. Then another mockingbird started up on the other side. They didn't take turns, they tried to drown each other out. It was very very annoying.

I was about the give up and go inside, when there was sudden blissful silence. It wasn't just the mockingbirds who fell silent, it was everything including squirrels. From experience, I knew that there was only one reason for that. I looked, and up in the highest tree, I could see the hawk. I was very thankful and quietly enjoyed the rest of my coffee.

Local Date
    12-16-2018
    Local Time
    04:52 PM

Re: Random Thoughts

I really enjoy listening to Mockingbirds. I miss them around here.
    While I was in Las Vegas for work back in March, there was one hanging out in the trees near my hotel. I enjoyed my morning coffee sitting out on the patio, listening to his song.

I never knew they were out in the Southwest.
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so." - Will Rogers

Local Date
    12-16-2018
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
    I really enjoy listening to Mockingbirds. I miss them around here.
    While I was in Las Vegas for work back in March, there was one hanging out in the trees near my hotel. I enjoyed my morning coffee sitting out on the patio, listening to his song.

I never knew they were out in the Southwest.
    During mating season, they can be a bit obnoxious, going 24 hours per day (if they are the also-rans). I did a contract at a nearby city where they used artificial ponds as part of the A/C system and all sorts of waterfowl living there. I laughed out loud on the walk to the office when a mockingbird was going through his repertoire and there was a "ribbit" in the middle of it. I've never heard that before or since.

Local Date
    12-16-2018
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Wandrin View Post
    During mating season, they can be a bit obnoxious, going 24 hours per day (if they are the also-rans). I did a contract at a nearby city where they used artificial ponds as part of the A/C system and all sorts of waterfowl living there. I laughed out loud on the walk to the office when a mockingbird was going through his repertoire and there was a "ribbit" in the middle of it. I've never heard that before or since.
    The little oddities are the things that make life worth living, I think.
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so." - Will Rogers

Local Date
    12-16-2018
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
    The little oddities are the things that make life worth living, I think.
    I agree. They certainly make it more interesting.

Local Date
    12-16-2018
    Local Time
    02:52 PM

Wandrin
    was that your 1st cup of coffee? LOL
    I have a lot of wild life - the other evening (dusk) a large owl flew over my pool and landed on my fence - very cool. When the Quail take off there's a hawk near. I have hawk families - often I'll go to my patio and a hawk or 2 or more are on my fence - wires - waiting & perched to grab a rabbit - very cool to watch. I also have many coyotes up & down the golf course. I don't see Road Runners like I use to.
    Patsy

Local Date
    12-16-2018
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Patsy Warnick View Post
    Wandrin
    was that your 1st cup of coffee? LOL
    I have a lot of wild life - the other evening (dusk) a large owl flew over my pool and landed on my fence - very cool. When the Quail take off there's a hawk near. I have hawk families - often I'll go to my patio and a hawk or 2 or more are on my fence - wires - waiting & perched to grab a rabbit - very cool to watch. I also have many coyotes up & down the golf course. I don't see Road Runners like I use to.
    Patsy
    No, thankfully, it wasn't the first cup. In fact if was afternoon and I sweetened the coffee with a little Baileys. That should have made the annoyance easier to tolerate.

I get a few flocks of geese in the morning, on their way from their safe overnight spots to the feeding grounds, and then they will return in the evening. The local hawks live in the two tall redwoods a couple of houses down. There is plenty of potential food for them since the whole neighborhood was nothing but orchards until the '50s. Lots of opossums and rac****s, among others.

I enjoy most of the birds, except when a loud group of crows stops by, but nothing is as annoying as the last few desperate mockingbirds during mating season. Those guys can go 24 hours per day.

Local Date
    12-16-2018
    Local Time

I enjoy the birds around the farm, here.
    We have several Red-tailed Hawks, and a family of Great Horned Owls. The Mrs is worried about letting Pitstop out unattended because of the hawks, but I don't think they are interested in her. She's as big as they are.
    The Owls, even larger, still have plenty of easy prey in the dozens of small rabbits and other rodents in the fields around us.

I've become fascinated with the American Robins that frequent the area.
    They come around the water dish every morning, five to eight of them. They gather around and take turns drinking the water while others post a watch.
    If I let the water dish get to low, they will line up along the fence and stare at me when Pitstop and I come out for our morning stretch.
    They are actually quite aggressive in defending their territory. I've watched them run a flock of Blackbirds off, and woe to the Blue Jay or squirrel that gets too close.

Local Date
    12-16-2018
    Local Time
    02:52 PM

One of my neighbors across the golf course came out with a rifle because the Hawks were perched around his patio. He had a small puppy at the time. The old fart was going to start shooting until he saw me..
    Around here you'll see signs missing dog - well the coyotes aren't starving - hawks are large - I wonder where my puppy went..
    I love all the wild life here.
    Now the Mockingbirds!! I had one all night long - very annoying.

My baby quail are a hoot - smaller than a golf ball..
    Patsy

Local Date
    12-16-2018
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Patsy Warnick View Post
    One of my neighbors across the golf course came out with a rifle because the Hawks were perched around his patio. He had a small puppy at the time. The old fart was going to start shooting until he saw me..
    Around here you'll see signs missing dog - well the coyotes aren't starving - hawks are large - I wonder where my puppy went..
    I love all the wild life here.
    Now the Mockingbirds!! I had one all night long - very annoying.

My baby quail are a hoot - smaller than a golf ball..
    Patsy
    Most of the Hawks we have around here are maybe 3 lb max. A 7-9 pound dog would be quite a load for them to fly off with.
    Coyotes, on the other hand, yeah we have a family of them around here, too.
    I won't let Pitstop out alone at night because of them.
    They are the likely culprits with most dog and cat disappearances.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast