I am:
    ----

Local Date
    09-25-2018
    Local Time
    04:26 AM
    Gifts Cocktail Car Beer

Re: Healthcare in the USA

Hope all turns out well. It must be terrifying being ill in America something like that is bad enough without having to worry about medical costs as well.

Proudly humble
    is Lost in the Ozone, again.

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    09-24-2018
    Local Time
    09:26 PM
    Gifts Beer Balloons Gift Car Beer

Thanks for all the good wishes.
    We got home this morning. After release, we decided to go have breakfast at one of our favorite cafe' spots. The sun was shining, and a nice breeze, we found a table on the patio, and soaked in the morning.

It has been four months since our last breakfast together in such a place.
    It was almost like getting out of jail.

We learned a lot in these months.
    You - the patient - MUST take responsibility for your well-being. You need to realize that these people really don't know you, and they have a whole lot of other people they are working to care for, and they will forget you, the moment they walk into the next room to see the next patient. Anything you don't have in writing did not happen, and likely will not be remembered.

If something is written down in your record, it is fact. If it is wrong, it is still fact until you make them remove it from the record. Even if they remove it, it may still be fact, until all parties have seen that it is no longer part of your record. Remember that part about them forgetting you? well, not if it is wrong. You'd be amazed how long an incorrect item can remain in their consciousness.

Medicine is more of an Esoteric Art than a Science. Trust me on that.
    It may not be so much that I've conceded your point as that you just can't hear me rolling my eyes.

is just wandrin

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    09-24-2018
    Local Time
    08:26 PM
    Gifts Balloons Cake Gift

Sounds like a great breakfast and a nice way to start the next phase.

I agree that the patient must be assertive enough to push the doctors to run the tests and come to the right diagnosis. I also agree about the medical records becoming the bible for future medical decisions. I know that it isn't easy to change incorrect information in one's medical records, from my own experience.

This user has no status.

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    09-24-2018
    Local Time
    11:26 PM
    Gifts Kitten

I'm happy your partner is better, LM.

Healthcare looks to me to be the latest financial bubble. Pharmacies are popping up everywhere and hospitals are merging. The question is whether or not it's sustainable. I don't see how it can be. Insurance is a middle player in the industry that just shouldn't be there, and it's justified by the enormous costs associated with anything medical. Costs are inflated in order to justify the insurance because of the medical industry having an investment portfolio heavily invested in insurance and insurance being heavily invested in medical. It's a scam.

There are so many sundry issues associated with all this too.
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”
    Voltaire

This user has no status.

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    09-25-2018
    Local Time
    04:26 AM
    Gifts Beer Beer FacePalm Ban Hammer Beer Beer Beer Beer

Quote Originally Posted by Ahso! View Post

Healthcare looks to me to be the latest financial bubble. Pharmacies are popping up everywhere and hospitals are merging. The question is whether or not it's sustainable. I don't see how it can be. Insurance is a middle player in the industry that just shouldn't be there, and it's justified by the enormous costs associated with anything medical. Costs are inflated in order to justify the insurance because of the medical industry having an investment portfolio heavily invested in insurance and insurance being heavily invested in medical. It's a scam.

American healthcare, I heard is the best in the world........if you have enough money you can be kept alive forever. (Slight pun there)
    If you haven't got much cash, get to the back of the queue.
    It happens to be the most expensive in the world.

British Healthcare is very cost affective, amongst the best value in the world, not THE best healthcare these days however, mainly due to political ideology.
    There is lots of money in healthcare, if it's done for profit, and that's why the NHS is ever so slowly being privatised............frighteningly.
    I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth

Proudly humble
    is Lost in the Ozone, again.

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    09-24-2018
    Local Time
    09:26 PM
    Gifts Beer Balloons Gift Car Beer

Quote Originally Posted by Ahso! View Post

Wish I could argue with that, but you are spot on.
    I haven't totaled up the whole thing, yet, but I am pretty sure this whole adventure has hit a million bucks, on paper. Fortunately, my insurance has covered a great deal of it. It seems that insurance is paying something like 30 cents on the dollar.
    Without insurance We would be in debt for the rest of our lives, and forced to eventually file bankruptcy and die penniless, leaving the providers holding the bag.
    It may not be so much that I've conceded your point as that you just can't hear me rolling my eyes.

This user has no status.

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    09-24-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Kitten

Quote Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
    Wish I could argue with that, but you are spot on.
    I haven't totaled up the whole thing, yet, but I am pretty sure this whole adventure has hit a million bucks, on paper. Fortunately, my insurance has covered a great deal of it. It seems that insurance is paying something like 30 cents on the dollar.
    Without insurance We would be in debt for the rest of our lives, and forced to eventually file bankruptcy and die penniless, leaving the providers holding the bag.
    Well, if .30 on the dollar is what they are willing to accept, why not accept that from the patient? But no, what you have to do is pay hundreds of dollars per month in the form of insurance payments to belong to the .30 on the dollar club. But it gets even worse because then most people have to pay deductibles and co-pays on top of the insurance premiums. It is a total scam, and Obama played it too, even to the point of making it mandatory. Insurance needs to be taken out of the equation to make the system fair and sustainable and people involved in the healthcare industry need to admit that they don't need to make ridiculous amounts of money for what they do. What really aggravates me is that my tax money went to the education of all these people. For what? To rip me and my loved ones off? To put us all in a perpetual cycle of debt? And then we're lectured about saving. Insane.
    Voltaire

This user has no status.

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    09-24-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Kitten

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by YZGI View Post
    Healthcare in the US is all about profits and Wall Street. A persons health care should not be decided by the amount of money or the type of insurance one has. Until we get our health care system to care more about our health than money it will never get better.

As a normally right leaner I am definitely a left leaner when it comes to health care. We need a national health care system and we need it now. Of all the things we as Americans protest I cant believe no one take up this cause with more importance.
    I agree but I don't see it happening. With the way the private industry it putting CVS pharmacies on almost every corner, they believe the trend is consumer base and for-profit. All this talk of Medicare for all is just rhetoric for votes. This condition didn't appear overnight and the time to fight for public healthcare was years ago, and none of them did to any real degree. Neoliberal policies beginning with the Reagan administration and accelerated mainly during the Clinton administration screwed us all. In more ways than one too.
    Voltaire

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2