+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Returning to the road

Local Date
    02-25-2020
    Local Time
    12:17 PM

Re: Returning to the road

I have been reading one of the most well-constructed free-flowing set of novels it's been my privilege to encounter, all relating the exploits of Travis McGee by John D MacDonald. The one I've so far finished is The Deep Blue Good-by, set in and around Lauderdale, with a use of English that stands Travis easily alongside Sam Spade.

eta: I have no idea why this post went into this thread, it can't have been meant to.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

England's troubles will increase until the bishops open Joanna Southcott's box.
    It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

Local Date
    02-25-2020
    Local Time
    01:17 PM

Brilliant ! That's a bit of me that is.
    "He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."
    Winston Churchill

Local Date
    02-25-2020
    Local Time
    05:17 AM

Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    I have been reading one of the most well-constructed free-flowing set of novels it's been my privilege to encounter, all relating the exploits of Travis McGee by John D MacDonald. The one I've so far finished is The Deep Blue Good-by, set in and around Lauderdale, with a use of English that stands Travis easily alongside Sam Spade.

eta: I have no idea why this post went into this thread, it can't have been meant to.
    John D MacDonald was one of my favorite writers of pulp fiction when I was young. And some of his perspectives on Florida are spot on.
    I happen to be in possession of the entire collection of MacDonald's work. It goes with us on the bus.
    "Learn from the mistakes of others---you can never live long enough to make them all yourself."
    - Anon

Local Date
    02-25-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
    In my early life, I was quite the nomad. Dad changed jobs a few times, and we moved around a lot. By the time I was in my teens the highway was in my blood.

I was in different schools almost every year, and had been in 25 of the 50 states by the time we had fifty states.

Well, work has kept me tied down for some time, limiting our mobility a bit.
    Now we enter a new era and I look forward to retiring.

This will be our home, soon, and we will be able to move about at will, and drag our few remaining worldly possession along.

Car and caravn for me, in UK terms that is huge for a mobile home, bit too big to be practical, the ones you see often a small car behind them so they can go in to town - the problem would be finding somewhere to park though I can see the attraction in a countr like amereica. What length is it? looks about 30 feet or so maybe? Never been to the states always had a hankering to see death valley, yosemite and the grand canyon cities not so much.

Local Date
    02-25-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by gmc View Post
    Car and caravn for me, in UK terms that is huge for a mobile home, bit too big to be practical, the ones you see often a small car behind them so they can go in to town - the problem would be finding somewhere to park though I can see the attraction in a countr like amereica. What length is it? looks about 30 feet or so maybe? Never been to the states always had a hankering to see death valley, yosemite and the grand canyon cities not so much.
    Yup. 30 feet. It would be a bit large and unwieldy in a lot of the UK, and Europe. I've seen some nice class B outfits that would be practical over there. Here, this is a fairly middling rig. There are some real behemoths on the American highways. About the size of many of those buses you see hauling tourists around to all the sites. I could be happy in something smaller, but the wife is a bit more of an indoor person, and we need SOME room to stay out of each other's hair. Our maiden voyage planned for this weekend got cancelled when one of the wife's sisters went to the hospital, so hopefully next weekend is still decent, weatherwise.
    "Learn from the mistakes of others---you can never live long enough to make them all yourself."
    - Anon

Local Date
    02-25-2020
    Local Time

I have on several occasions seen London double-deck buses converted for life on the road, they appear to have a lot of room. The conversions may be in imitation of a 1963 film musical starring the talented Melvyn Hayes and the extraordinary Una Stubbs.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

England's troubles will increase until the bishops open Joanna Southcott's box.
    It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

Local Date
    02-25-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
    Yup. 30 feet. It would be a bit large and unwieldy in a lot of the UK, and Europe. I've seen some nice class B outfits that would be practical over there. Here, this is a fairly middling rig. There are some real behemoths on the American highways. About the size of many of those buses you see hauling tourists around to all the sites. I could be happy in something smaller, but the wife is a bit more of an indoor person, and we need SOME room to stay out of each other's hair. Our maiden voyage planned for this weekend got cancelled when one of the wife's sisters went to the hospital, so hopefully next weekend is still decent, weatherwise.
    A typical class two hgv here is 33-35 feet long about 8ft wide You can buy airstreams and fifth wheelers here but the biggest are just too wide to be practical if you actually want to travel anywhwere height would be an iisue as well a lot of our bridges were built before they had cars never mind anyuthing else.

Always wondered why do your hgv's have such long cabs with a big bonnet? Over here they are just as powerful and the loads just as big but typically you sit over the engine access to which is gained by tilting the cab

Local Date
    02-25-2020
    Local Time

Well, the maiden voyage got postponed due to family illness taking up most of our time since Saturday last.
    I have driven a bit around town to get familiar with the dimensions, and have figured out a list of "Must-have" items before we launch.
    1. A rear-view Camera, and the it is difficult to judge the distance behind through the mirror.
    2. I need a heavier rated Trailer Hitch. The one we have is rated for 3500 pounds, Max. By the time I hook a 1000 lb Tow Dolly to the thing, I can only tow a 2000 lb car. (well 2500 lb, possibly)
    3. Tires. The tires are on the tail end of their recommended age, and exhibiting a bit of weathering. From what I can tell, they were purchased either just before, or just after the original owner sold the vehicle to the second owner, who put barely 2000 miles in the thing in six years. (Yes, I had planned the tires into my budget. though shopping for tire for these things is a bit tougher than I anticipated.)

It's beginning to look like I may have to delay our launch til after Winter sets in, which means we may have to winterize the plumbing before the first freeze comes along.

A name. I need to name the thing. Since my original retirement fantasy was to have a sail boat, and spend my latter years plying the Caribbean (dashed when I married a landlubber who gets sea sick standing on a pier.) the name should be of a nautical theme. (Thanks, but SS Minnow has already been posed and rejected)

I shall spend the afternoon listening to my old Jimmy Buffett albums to see if something appropriate comes to the fore.
    Suggestions welcome.
    - Anon

Local Date
    02-25-2020
    Local Time
    01:17 PM

Mayflower ?
    Discovery ?
    Beagle ?
    I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth

Local Date
    02-25-2020