Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Republican victories

Local Date
    02-24-2020
    Local Time
    04:41 AM

Re: Republican victories

Quote Originally Posted by Accountable View Post
    IMO, "right" in this sentence means "correct". It certainly can't logically refer to politically right, which your very next sentence declares.
    You know what it means! It takes too many keystrokes to type out conservative/libertarian every time. And they are not only advocating shrinking the number of people working in government, they also want to shrink the regulatory roles, and the services provided to address issues such as poverty and unfair hiring practices. We are learning now that a civil society is a lot less "civil" when the wealth gaps increase. The marketplace left to itself, will allow the rich to get richer, and the poor to get poorer. And all arguments about who's at fault, do not address the fact that, for whatever the reasons, an increasingly stratified society is more volatile.

How are the Dems any different?? Look at the tax cheats managing the tax system and the guys with no car experience running the new Government Motors!
    Like I said before -- at least Democrats do not have the voice of Ayn Rand in their heads, telling them that greed is good, and they should grab whatever they can. And what hasn't been mentioned about the saving of GM, is that GM is being saved by drastic wage cuts to make them more competitive with third world autoworkers. Once again, the basic economic philosophy of free trade, which has allowed capital to move freely across borders to flow in the direction of the cheapest labor -- goes unchallenged!

If we trim all the extra-constitutional bureaucracies, then the federal government would be better able to perform the regulatory roles they are not doing now.
    During the runup to the Election, I couldn't believe these fundamentalist Republicans yacking about the Constitution during the campaign, it sounded like they make no distinction between it and the Bible! They think both are divine revelations or something. The framers of the Constitution were trying to cobble together something that would hold a collection of rebellious colonies together, and survive as a small, isolated nation that began under precarious circumstances. This idea that nothing can be added to what the FF's wrote down is pure lunacy! They couldn't foresee what the demands on the new nation would be a 100 or 200 years in the future, and were just trying to put together a system that would preserve republican government. A lot of teabaggers say that Social Security and Medicare have to be abolished because they are unconstitutional. Maybe idiots like Rand Paul, should get a chance to test this theory and abolish these programs! Then they might learn the limits of treating the Constitution like its the Bible!

Doesn't this contradict your earlier statements about big government?
    No! Because laws and rules have been changed to give lobbyists more access. Attempts to restrict lobbyists have been attacked as "unconstitutional" denials of freedom of speech.

Careful! You're getting dangerously close to agreeing with me.
    http://www.forumgarden.com/forums/ge...ml#post1342197
    I'll check it out later.

Premium Member
    Local Date
    02-24-2020
    Local Time
    03:41 AM

Nah, I'm not in the mood to read you saying that a single step is not a race or a single blow is not an entire war. The camel's nose is under the tent, which is what Obama et al were going for, and the repubs have vowed to carry the baton by repeating - oops, repealing - and reforming that which shouldn't be addressed federally at all.
    Wuss! You acknowledge its not a 'takeover' then, but you're afraid it will become one eventually. I hope you're right about that, but one thing is probably certain, and that is that it will not occur in our lifetime.

A question: How is it I'm partisan when in your words there is no difference between the two parties?

Local Date
    02-24-2020
    Local Time
    02:41 AM

I would've missed the link if I hadn't quoted your post. It's dated last month, just a bit after the campaign, and I don't believe McCain would ever authorize military action, except maybe of the Clinton variety. He's been too close to war. More likely he would have been more focused on ending the current crap-fest than Obama's been.

I always shake my head at those who point at war as an answer to economic woes. The Great Depression ended because FDR died.
    What's disturbing is if you look back at her statements, she's been consistently on the same message for two years now. Very much like Bush on WMD. I started noticing it during the campaign. McCain may have had a cooler head, but he was unelectable. Only the hardcore extremists can win in the GOP nowadays.

Premium Member
    Local Date
    02-24-2020
    Local Time
    03:41 AM

Quote Originally Posted by yaaarrrgg View Post
    What's disturbing is if you look back at her statements, she's been consistently on the same message for two years now. Very much like Bush on WMD. I started noticing it during the campaign. McCain may have had a cooler head, but he was unelectable. Only the hardcore extremists can win in the GOP nowadays.
    We're not going to war with Iran next, if we invade another country it will be Yemen IMO, and we'd already be there if McCain had been elected. Yemen is where Al Queda is now hiding according to the media. Whether or not thats true matters little. We need to continue to use up all that stuff we pay defense contractors for, otherwise the public would want to cut defense more, and they ain't gonna let that happen. We are in a perpetual state of war from here on out IMV. Its about the only thing we can point to thats helping the economy. It isn't much but its all we have, unfortunately.

Local Date
    02-24-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Ahso! View Post
    We're not going to war with Iran next, if we invade another country it will be Yemen IMO, and we'd already be there if McCain had been elected. Yemen is where Al Queda is now hiding according to the media. Whether or not thats true matters little. We need to continue to use up all that stuff we pay defense contractors for, otherwise the public would want to cut defense more, and they ain't gonna let that happen. We are in a perpetual state of war from here on out IMV. Its about the only thing we can point to thats helping the economy. It isn't much but its all we have, unfortunately.
    That's a good point. They probably wouldn't want to attack a country that could fight back (due to the last two).

Local Date
    02-24-2020
    Local Time
    08:41 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Ahso! View Post
    Sadly that was proven in 1990 after Congress tried to cut the defense budget after the fall of the Berlin Wall.

Local Date
    02-24-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by recovering conservative View Post
    They couldn't foresee what the demands on the new nation would be a 100 or 200 years in the future, and were just trying to put together a system that would preserve republican government. A lot of teabaggers say that Social Security and Medicare have to be abolished because they are unconstitutional. Maybe idiots like Rand Paul, should get a chance to test this theory and abolish these programs! Then they might learn the limits of treating the Constitution like its the Bible!
    I read the Constitution and social programs are clearly supported. If some service is beneficial to more than one person, we can consider providing them as part of the general welfare. And good social/economic policy also constitutes defense, since it's already known that social disorder occurs when extreme poverty is left unchecked. If our country were smarter, it would take an equal interest in stabilizing developing countries through humanitarian work, as it does towards destroying the ones that have grown up not to our liking. Hard to be painted as an enemy by a lunatic or dictator, when we've already made friends around the world with the majority of populations.

Local Date
    02-24-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Bryn Mawr View Post
    Sadly that was proven in 1990 after Congress tried to cut the defense budget after the fall of the Berlin Wall.
    Kinda makes you wonder what these guys have planned, when the defense budget is as much as the rest of the world's combined.

Local Date
    02-24-2020
    Local Time
    08:41 AM

Quote Originally Posted by yaaarrrgg View Post
    Kinda makes you wonder what these guys have planned, when the defense budget is as much as the rest of the world's combined.

When you own the government and you own the media then there is little you cannot do :-(

Local Date
    02-24-2020
    Local Time
    01:41 AM

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by recovering conservative View Post
    We are learning now that a civil society is a lot less "civil" when the wealth gaps increase. The marketplace left to itself, will allow the rich to get richer, and the poor to get poorer. And all arguments about who's at fault, do not address the fact that, for whatever the reasons, an increasingly stratified society is more volatile. .
    I've been saying this for years. When you get too big a gap between the rich and the poor...heads will roll. (See: The French Revolution.)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast