+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: new volunteer position

Local Date
    02-19-2020
    Local Time
    04:52 AM

new volunteer position

Oh boy I have sunk myself deep into this one.
    I have signed on for a 1 year term with a new family from Afghanastan. I am what is called a host volunteer, I basically am to visit them 1 day a week and help them get into the "Canadian" way. Welll this family is going to be challenging. There is 6 of them. They come from a farming community, they arrived here on refugee status. Our government will pay their way for 1 year then they are tossed to the wolves. (very scarey really) Well the father has the equivalent of a grade 5 education, the mother has none and is illiterate. They have a 15 year old daughter who is in ESL (english as a second language) she tested at s grade 4 level. She is stunningly pretty and very shy. Second born child their son is 13 he speaks.... some english, and my guess is he has the potential to do well as he has been here since Sept of 2005 and he is the communicator of the family as best as he can be. (yeah and we think we have it bad huh) then there is an 8 year old son, and a 1 year old son. They basically want me to help them with English. The parents await admission to English school. Then things will improve.
    I have to start at the very beginning with... the alphabet, and childrens picture books. Telling them how to say things like thank you, hello, please, what time is it, where is this or that. Show them how to catch the bus, how to read the routes. It sounds challenging, but how bleak and issolated can this be coming here with no skills, no english and trying to function. They seem very very nice and greatful.
    �You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�
    ― Mae West

Local Date
    02-19-2020
    Local Time
    06:52 AM

Re: new volunteer position

How very generous of you to commit to such a demanding position. I'm sure you will be greatly enriched by the experience and hope you'll be able to share some of your successes with us. Good luck and bless you and them.

Local Date
    02-19-2020
    Local Time
    11:52 AM

Wow!!! That sounds like a challenge and a half! Is this your first time or have you done this sort of thing before?? It must be very rewarding but a lot of hard work. That must be a horrible position to be in, knowing that at the end of the year they are completely on their own. Thank gawd for people like you though, or they wouldnt stand a chance!

Good luck!
    "Before criticising someone, always walk a mile in their shoes. That way, if they get angry or violent, they are a mile away and haven't got any shoes."

Local Date
    02-19-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Hazel
    Wow!!! That sounds like a challenge and a half! Is this your first time or have you done this sort of thing before?? It must be very rewarding but a lot of hard work. That must be a horrible position to be in, knowing that at the end of the year they are completely on their own. Thank gawd for people like you though, or they wouldnt stand a chance!

Good luck!
    this is my second assignment first one was easier as the father spoke some english and improved as time went on. I guess I can say I have a little experience with this because as a kid I had to try and converse with my hungarian granny who as she aged lost all command of english (i never learned hungarian) and I work with mostly russian staff so I know to be patient and listen and let them finish and then try to work with them repeatedly. I look forward to the challenge.
    ― Mae West

San Diego, California (Native born and raised)
    Local Date
    02-19-2020
    Local Time

Thumbs up Re: new volunteer position

Minks if anyone can do it you can...!@! BRAVO..IT WILL BE A CHALLENGE YOU WILL NEVER FORGET..
    ALOHA!!
    MOTTO TO LIVE BY:
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.
    WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Local Date
    02-19-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by CARLA
    Minks if anyone can do it you can...!@! BRAVO..IT WILL BE A CHALLENGE YOU WILL NEVER FORGET..
    aw shucks thanks Carla, I am going to look online for those alphabet writing letter sheet things we had in pre-school, and I am putting up little notices all over the malls for kids book donations this weekend.
    ― Mae West

Supporting Member
    Local Date
    02-19-2020
    Local Time
    07:52 AM

Quote Originally Posted by minks
    this is my second assignment first one was easier as the father spoke some english and improved as time went on. I guess I can say I have a little experience with this because as a kid I had to try and converse with my hungarian granny who as she aged lost all command of english (i never learned hungarian) and I work with mostly russian staff so I know to be patient and listen and let them finish and then try to work with them repeatedly. I look forward to the challenge.
    And you'll do great minks!
    How grand that you can be of assistance and help these people! Fantastic!

Local Date
    02-19-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Lil~Basco
    And you'll do great minks!
    How grand that you can be of assistance and help these people! Fantastic!

Thanks Lil B. I just seem to have the volunteer itch all the time
    ― Mae West

Local Date
    02-20-2020
    Local Time
    12:52 AM

I am curious about how these individual families are selected. There are so many refugees, why this particular family. Also, what is it that the Canadian Gov. expects to happen in one year of support? Is it likely the male head of household find suitable work in one year to support his family? New Zealand brings in various families from South Pacific Islands in similar fashion, however they seem to remain on the Dole forever.

Local Date
    02-19-2020
    Local Time
    05:52 AM

Register to remove this ad.
    I think you'll do great Minks.

Your truely a nice person to volunteer your time for such a big task.
    "Girls are crazy! I'm not ever getting married, I can make my own sandwiches!"
    my son

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast