Make these ads go away.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Oldest woman dies aged 122 years old.

Local Date
    03-28-2020
    Local Time
    03:29 AM

Oldest woman dies aged 122 years old.

We all hope for a long and healthy life however this lady was heading for a double life when she passed away aged 122 years young. How long would you like to live for? I think after reaching the century youv'e had a fare innings.
    Jeanne Calment at the age of 85, she took up fencing. At 100, she was still riding a bicycle. Jeanne lived on her own until shortly before her 110th birthday, when her cooking caused an accidental fire in her apartment and it was decided that she needed to be moved to a nursing home. However, Jeanne was still in good shape, and was able to walk until a fall at age 114 years and 11 months. Jeanne survived a hip operation in January 1990 to become the oldest verified surgery patient. Although she needed to use a wheelchair afterward, Jeanne remained talkative and received frequent visitors until her 122nd birthday, at which time it was finally decided that her health status had declined and warranted privacy. Indeed, it was said by Jean-Marie Robine that this "allowed her to die", because the attention had kept her going. Jeanne Calment died five months later

Local Date
    03-28-2020
    Local Time
    04:29 AM

Re: Oldest woman dies aged 122 years old.

Well it seems like she made good time at any rate.
    You ask how long we'd want to live, well, not that long for me. I don't mean to sound morbid but there's not a whole lot holding me to this world. I just want to have a reasonably good life for however long I'm here.

Local Date
    03-28-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by maccat View Post
    We all hope for a long and healthy life however this lady was heading for a double life when she passed away aged 122 years young. How long would you like to live for? I think after reaching the century youv'e had a fare innings.
    Jeanne Calment at the age of 85, she took up fencing. At 100, she was still riding a bicycle. Jeanne lived on her own until shortly before her 110th birthday, when her cooking caused an accidental fire in her apartment and it was decided that she needed to be moved to a nursing home. However, Jeanne was still in good shape, and was able to walk until a fall at age 114 years and 11 months. Jeanne survived a hip operation in January 1990 to become the oldest verified surgery patient. Although she needed to use a wheelchair afterward, Jeanne remained talkative and received frequent visitors until her 122nd birthday, at which time it was finally decided that her health status had declined and warranted privacy. Indeed, it was said by Jean-Marie Robine that this "allowed her to die", because the attention had kept her going. Jeanne Calment died five months later

Quite, quite remarkable. More than longvity, I feel the emphasis should be on the quality of life. Mind you, if the Book of Genesis is to be taken at face value, she was just a baby. According to Genesis ct. 9 v 28:
    "And Noah lived after the flood three hundred and fifty years. So all the days of Noah were NINE HUNDRED AND FIFTY YEARS; and he died. Even as a practising Christian I find that a bit hard to swallow!

I think, therefore I post chonsigirl's Avatar
    Local Date
    03-28-2020
    Local Time
    06:29 AM

Wow, she lived a long time. My grandmother is 97, and in great health. I think I will live a long time like her. But the quality of life is what is important. And what happens to you when you are that old-I don't want to be in a home. I would want to be home, and on my own.

Local Date
    03-28-2020
    Local Time
    06:29 AM

I don't like that 'it was decided' stuff. If she had been in her 40's and started an accidental fire no one would have dreamed robbing her of her independence. That last statement seemed the most cruel to me:

"... it was finally decided that her health status had declined and warranted privacy. Indeed, it was said by Jean-Marie Robine that this "allowed her to die", because the attention had kept her going. Jeanne Calment died five months later."

Whoever the 'it was decided' people were took from her the last thing that she apparently enjoyed, leaving her to suffer five months of isolation.

I wonder what her decision would have been, had the 'it was decided' folks not stepped in.

That article leaves me very angry.

Local Date
    03-28-2020
    Local Time
    07:29 AM

what accountable said.

my great grandmother was left in the care of her quite dotty daughter and the old lady dies of bedsores, because her crazy daughter had hid her clothing, because she figured ma was too old to run about.

was only 91...

Local Date
    03-28-2020
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Accountable View Post
    I don't like that 'it was decided' stuff. If she had been in her 40's and started an accidental fire no one would have dreamed robbing her of her independence. That last statement seemed the most cruel to me:

"... it was finally decided that her health status had declined and warranted privacy. Indeed, it was said by Jean-Marie Robine that this "allowed her to die", because the attention had kept her going. Jeanne Calment died five months later."

Whoever the 'it was decided' people were took from her the last thing that she apparently enjoyed, leaving her to suffer five months of isolation.

I wonder what her decision would have been, had the 'it was decided' folks not stepped in.

That article leaves me very angry.
    Sorry but I have to agree, the poor woman must have been quite lonely not being aloud any more visitors, like they wanted her to kick the bucket as they had obviously made up their minds that she was too much of an 'oldie'. I have seen this in an supposedly care home I used to work in where the treatment was appalling.

+ Reply to Thread