Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: The Presidential Election of 2020

Local Date
    09-23-2019
    Local Time
    02:23 PM

Re: The Presidential Election of 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Ahso! View Post
    For the record, I do not think any relationship between consenting adults is wrong. That includes incest.
    The moral issue is clouded by what in England we call "positions of trust", which includes teacher-student contact. I expect it could also include adult intergenerational incest. Saying no to mom doesn't get any easier as you get older.
    Tho' all the world may frown, and ev'ry friend depart,
    She never will forsake us in our need!
    Our refuge evermore is still within her heart.
    For us her loving sympathy will plead!
    Her pure and gentle smile forever cheers our way.
    'Tis sweeter and 'tis purer than all other!
    When she goes from earth away,
    We'll find out while we stray,
    A boy's best friend is his mother.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

Local Date
    09-23-2019
    Local Time
    07:23 AM

Interesting how far the thing has spread from the original question of whether a woman should have the right to decide whether to carry a pregnancy to term even, and especially when it was the result of actions committed against her will.
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so." - Will Rogers
    "Truth isn't Truth" - Rudy Giuliani

Local Date
    09-23-2019
    Local Time
    08:23 AM

Quote Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
    Interesting how far the thing has spread from the original question of whether a woman should have the right to decide whether to carry a pregnancy to term even, and especially when it was the result of actions committed against her will.
    To me, there has got to be a point of when we are talking about person entitled to all the protections that the rest of us have.

The only problem is once such a limit is established when violated who goes to prison?

Local Date
    09-23-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by tude dog View Post
    To me, there has got to be a point of when we are talking about person entitled to all the protections that the rest of us have.

The only problem is once such a limit is established when violated who goes to prison?
    By "when" I suppose you mean establishing a limit after which there is a person, and before which there is a cluster of dividing cells or a growing embryo with the potential to become a person.

In deciding who goes to prison if that established limit is exceeded, both American and British law have much the same answer. The abortionists go to prison and the person procuring the abortion goes to prison. That's the current state of the law. I think you'd find everyone on this site would agree that the principle of the established limit is a fair law.

I which case do we have any difference in our position? Is there something you're saying that anyone here might disagree with?

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.

Local Date
    09-23-2019
    Local Time
    07:23 AM

It seems to me that limit was long ago established, but now people are wanting to change the established law, and go back to when there was only back alleys and coat hangers.
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so." - Will Rogers
    "Truth isn't Truth" - Rudy Giuliani

Premium Member
    Local Date
    09-23-2019
    Local Time
    09:23 AM

Quote Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
    It seems to me that limit was long ago established, but now people are wanting to change the established law, and go back to when there was only back alleys and coat hangers.
    I understand Roe v Wade to be a privacy case that did not address the question of when life begins. This has been what the right-wing has latched on to in their endeavor to establish conception as life. In the minds of most religious conservatives, a female gives up her right to privacy, in the legal sense, when a male plants his seed in her, thus claiming her (In the unofficial sense, a female surrenders her right to privacy when she becomes attractive and child-bearing able - thus rape). Women are, after all, merely an extension of men, Eve having been created, not out of the dirt as Adam supposedly was, but Adam's rib.
    "We need not resolve the difficult question of when life begins. When those trained in the respective disciplines of medicine, philosophy, and theology are unable to arrive at any consensus, the judiciary, in this point in the development of man's knowledge, is not in a position to speculate as to the answer." — Roe, 410 U.S. at 159.[53]
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roe_v._Wade
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”
    Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's
    Be the wave that I am and then
    Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple

Premium Member
    Local Date
    09-23-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    In deciding who goes to prison if that established limit is exceeded, both American and British law have much the same answer. The abortionists go to prison and the person procuring the abortion goes to prison. That's the current state of the law. I think you'd find everyone on this site would agree that the principle of the established limit is a fair law.
    When was it that any male was ever sent to prison for "procuring" an abortion?
    pro·cure /prəˈkyo͝or/ verb 1. obtain (something), especially with care or effort. "food procured for the rebels" synonyms: obtain, acquire, get, find, come by, secure, pick up, get possession of; synonyms: be a pimp, be pimping; More informalponce; informalhustle "the police found that he was procuring" 2. Law persuade or cause (someone) to do something. "he procured his wife to sign the agreement"
    Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple

Premium Member
    Local Date
    09-23-2019
    Local Time

From what authority would you accept an "established" precedent?
    Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple

Local Date
    09-23-2019
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    Is Joe Biden seriously pulling ahead to become the Democrat candidate?

He ran for President thirty years ago in 1988, he ran again in 2008, and now he's proposing to start a first term as President at the age of 78?

If someone took over at the Kremlin aged 78, Americans would howl derisively and talk about comatose geriatrics like Andropov and Chernenko who were both dead long before they reached that age. Hu Yaobang was viewed as old when he became General Secretary in China at the age of 67, so was Zhao Ziyang at 68, Jiang Zemin at 67, Hu Jintao was 60 and... Joe Biden will be 78?

I'm speechless. The fact that he has so many millstones round his neck on top of that just leaves me baffled. Why on earth is he muddying the waters? What does he hope to get out of it? How does he think the country is going to benefit when the election finally happens?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5