Page 118 of 119 FirstFirst ... 18 68 108 116 117 118 119 LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,180 of 1184

Thread: "The Friendly Café - Open for chinwaggin'

Local Date
    05-20-2019
    Local Time
    04:12 PM

Re: "The Friendly Café - Open for chinwaggin'

I think I did my bit for Maths education last week.

Whilst in the lift on my way home, there was a little boy somewhat flustered because he couldn't handle take-aways at school. He had managed with adding, but take-aways was something else. I said, "I'm getting off at the 4th floor. You're getting off at the 7th. How many more floors is that"? Then, looking at the buttons, he replied "3". Then, open mouthed, said, "So taking away is just adding upwards"?

With any luck that's helped him understand something a bit easier. Gives a good feeling inside.

Local Date
    05-20-2019
    Local Time

Ha ha ha Fourpart. That's certainly a novel way of demonstrating take-away maths !
    Different ! Reminds me of trying to teach my son about computer maths.. Don't ask. I remember using large U2 batteries, SP11s, and AAs etc. but can't for the life of me remember what I did. All I can remember is something about 1 and 0 !!!! LOL
    I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully

Local Date
    05-20-2019
    Local Time

It's late, 12.55 am. so eyes orf to me flea pit ! Nite nite LOL >>>>>>>>>>>woosh

Local Date
    05-20-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by G#Gill View Post
    Ha ha ha Fourpart. That's certainly a novel way of demonstrating take-away maths !
    Different ! Reminds me of trying to teach my son about computer maths.. Don't ask. I remember using large U2 batteries, SP11s, and AAs etc. but can't for the life of me remember what I did. All I can remember is something about 1 and 0 !!!! LOL
    It was the look of realisation on his face that really got to me.:-)
    As I got out of the lift I could see him touching other floor buttons. I think he was experimenting with other take aways.
    It always seems to be that once you can associate one idea with another that they're already familiar with it becomes easier for them to understand. I use metaphors all the time with customers on the phone at work.

Local Date
    05-20-2019
    Local Time

I'm just so 'fed up' with all this pathetic hassle over Brexit. I've signed off I'm afraid. They will do what they want anyway. Europe doesn't want us to leave because it could start an exodus among other countries and that would ultimately be the end of EU. So, of course, EU will be as obstructive and awkward as possible. After all GB was one of the main members.

Anyway I'm fed up with it all. Let them get on with it. I have given up trying to understand what is going on. I've given up even being mildly interested. I'm a pensioner so I suppose I'm not that far off leaving this mortal coil, so why should I worry ?

There are far more important and world threatening happenings with nature, so why the hell is anybody worried about politics ? Nature could destroy the earth just like that, if the human race continues to mess with it. We human beings are a curse to ourselves, and until we wake up to the more important things on this planet and take ourselves in hand, and look after our planet instead of greedily sucking the life-blood out of it, then this planet will die.

Like I said, I'm fed up with the pathetic rubbish called politics. There are far more important and world-threatening issues to sort out. It really is about time that the so-called leaders of the various countries listened and absorbed what science, nature, and intelligent thinking humans are constantly telling them !

Gill dismounts from her soapbox and, rolling her eyes, walks sadly away with her fingers crossed.

Local Date
    05-20-2019
    Local Time

I wonder where Zap is. Haven't seen her for ages and ages, so I do hope she is OK. Does anybody know where or how she is ?

Local Date
    05-20-2019
    Local Time

Looks like an assault of the 'word games' brigade !
    Attached Images  

Local Date
    05-20-2019
    Local Time

I am heartily sick of hearing BREXIT. Seems that every time I switch on the radio or TV there's some goon spouting off about it. Listen you prats that call yourselves politicians, the public voted in a referendum to LEAVE the EU. So what the hell are you all fa****g around at ? I reckon that school teens could do a better job, and in half the time ! Europe geezers don't want us to go so they are being obstructive and have been from day one, basically. We should just pull up our skirts and leg it out of Europe. Sod all the arguments, and sod all the mind games. Let's just get away from that corrupt, unelected bunch of gravy train addicts and refuse to pay any severence billions ! What can Europe do to us ? Kick us out of the EU ! Put trade embargos on us ? Close all the UK Embassies ? Such actions from an unaudited 'business' - so hypocritical. I'm sure we could re-establish better trade with our Commonwealth Nations.

Oh I'm so fed up with all this. I am confused, and ill-informed, and i just want this whole pig's ear rubbish sorted. I tell you now that at the next general election I will not be voting for Tory or Labour or Liberal parties. BUT I will vote ! The so-called main 3 parties couldn't organise a pi*s up in a brewery ! They are all so far up their own obnoxious orifices. I can see NOBODY in Parliament capable of taking up the position of Prime Minister - whichever party, NOBODY grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Local Date
    05-20-2019
    Local Time

We've just had a couple of lovely sunny days in the Midlands of England, and it would seem that tomorrow will probably be very similar. That's OK by me, but does it herald another drought year ? I sincerely hope not.

Today marks one week since our gorgeous dog Jessica had to be put down. It was discovered, after a thorough scan, that she had cancer of the liver and it was terminal. She will be so missed. We are all devastated and know that her passing has left a very large hole. Jessica was the 6th dog that we had wonderful comfort, joy and loyalty from. All our dogs have been 'rescue dogs' except the very first one, Freddy.
    We have cried buckets for each and every dog that has passed through our family, as each of them had their own personality, and each of them loved us as we loved them. People who have never experienced the joy of the company of a dog, maybe would not understand how these four-legged fur bags so easily and quickly worm their way into a person's affections. When they part from this mortal coil, it is as if a close member of the family has died.
    Attached Images

Local Date
    05-21-2019
    Local Time
    01:12 AM

Register to remove this ad.
    I'm so very sorry to hear that G Gill . It's hard when a pet dies. You probably are coming into drought . what goes around comes around on this planet of ours. We are in severe drought. My area has had a 'green drought' for about five years.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 118 of 119 FirstFirst ... 18 68 108 116 117 118 119 LastLast