Local Time
    11:32 PM

So now the bastards are trying blackmail

Local Date
    12-09-2019
    Local Time
    12:32 AM

Re: So now the bastards are trying blackmail

Is this a case of taking our ball back if we can't all play together nicely ?

Or just veiled threats ?
    I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth

Banned
    Local Date
    12-08-2019
    Local Time

So does this mean that no new contracts will be awarded until after the referendum? If Scotland gains Independence, then you become ' Johnny Foriegner' ???

Local Date
    12-08-2019
    Local Time

Or is the idea that in the current difficult economic climate the contract will be awarded to a UK company, and we don't know if Scotland will be UK?

You can imagine the furore if a UK shipyard closes while a foreign Scottish one is kept open by UK contracts...

I can actually see a reasonable case for delaying the decision. The Northumbian Council considering whether to encourage Scottish drinkers south of the Border to beat the price hike is much nastier, stupider and much more wrong, imo.
    The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"
    Lone voice: "I'm not."

Local Date
    12-08-2019
    Local Time

Most scots would go for greater devolution rather than independence these kind of attitudes and actions will result in scots voting for independence rather than put up with the childish idiots that think we will. Being told we would be confused unless the question is very clear and that scots don't understand that a vote for independence would mean the break up of the union is the kind of patronising arrogance that pisses us off. We are a separate nation with a distinct culture and history all our own, the legal and educational systems are different as are the general attitudes of the people towards government, by and large we are far more left wing than the English and being told we need permission to rule ourselves is like a red rag to a bull. Not one of the unionist parties is coming out with any reasons why we would be better off remaining in the union it's all along the lines of we couldn't cope.

I actually voted no in the referendum in 1979 - the one with the 40% rule which if applied to the last thirty years of election would have meant none of the parties would have been able to form a government. Even now the coalition has less than 50% support in the last election. I voted no mainly because the prospect of living in a country ruled by a labour party that was run like the mafia was somewhat less than appealing. An independent Scotland with proportional representation is a different ballgame, it's unlikely salmond would remain first minister too many see him as a wee sweetie wifie that can't be trusted - the donald trump affair cost him a lot of credibility as he showed himself to be as corrupt and too willing to kow tow to powerful wealthy people as labour are.

Who most wants independence for Scotland? The English

Local Date
    12-09-2019
    Local Time

As far as the English apparently in favour of Independence more than the Scottish, I think there is an element of "well, sod 'em. If they want to independence let them have it " I think the attitude would be much different had there been no discussion and far less would have a negative attitude. It's not one I'm in favour with. I'd sooner see a stronger United Kingdom. It doesn't mean any of us are any less "English" or "Scottish" because we are British. We have far more in common than any differences that would divide us
    "He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."
    Winston Churchill

Local Date
    12-08-2019
    Local Time

Interesting to see that the issue of what the English think about Scottish devolution has finally surfaced in the Press. I have been aware of the attitude Snowfire mentions for some considerable time and like him I seem to be in a minority who think it is a bad idea.

My Scottish friends support Independence because they both believe it's the only thing that will stop the Scots blaming everything on the English and make them stand on their own two feet. English support for Scottish independence seems to range from that attitude at one end, to several rude words about Scots ending in .... off."

At present, if the referendum were held South of the Border, I reckon you'd be out of the Union faster than you can say Midlothian question.

Local Date
    12-08-2019
    Local Time

...thinking about it, opinions expressed may not translate into votes in the ballot box. I'm not sure if a vote down here would expel you. I think it would be pretty close though.

And the Northumbrian stupidity is just the start, imo. It or something like it will be used (understandably) as an excuse for future Scottish nastiness and it will roll on from there, just as one thing led to another before the Union.

Ah well. It's all going to happen. Oh joy.

Local Date
    12-08-2019
    Local Time

And while I'm at it, why on earth would Scotland even expect to be considered for a large UK defence contract when we don't know whether you will be part of the Union? That's the sort of thing that makes me think the Scots want to have their cake and eat it and are stupid enough to think it reasonable.

And devo max might be what you want, but the way things are going at present it would be very unpopular south of the border, where the extra money Scotland gets for being Scottish is increasingly resented . I don't think there is anything at all England could do to make Scotland happy and your reaction to the defence contract being delayed is an example why: At present Scotland could not be awarded the contract because of Scotland's uncertain status. So if a decision about the contract were made now, Scotland would not be considered. And you consider this English nastiness rather than simple common sense. If we aren't considering Eire (and no-one suggests we should) why would we consider an indpendent Scotland?

The whole issue of Scottish independence is going to create, or rather is creating, a width and depth of resentment and bitterness down here that simply didn't exist a decade ago. And that's going to hang around whether you stay in the Union or not.

I also gather a lot of Scots are basing their hopes for independence around membership of the EU. I'd check on your welcome before you jump, because there are signs that the Spanish, with separatist movements in Catalonia and the Basque regions, intend to veto a Scottish application. An article about this appeared very briefly on the BBC website after British journos wondered why there were so many Spanish journalists at an SNP press conference. Was taken down after an hour or less and it is assumed down here that it was to avoid irritating the Scots. Pointless if you ask me because we irritate the Scots by existing.

Local Date
    12-09-2019
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    "A Spanish veto would undermine claims an independent Scotland could immediately operate as a viable state. Although Alex Salmond insists Scotland would be able to join the EU following a "yes" vote in a referendum, experts maintain membership would not come automatically."

Spain could wield veto over Scotland's EU membership - UK Politics - UK - The Independent

All eyes would be on an independent Scotland operating outside the EU. If they make a success of it we might see an increased clamour for states voting to leave the EU
    "He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."
    Winston Churchill

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast