+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Prom night

Local Date
    06-20-2019
    Local Time
    12:01 PM

Prom night

We went out to dinner on a Saturday night - restaurants are very busy - check in get a beeper. We're seated dinner is delicious. The workers are setting up tables for a large group.
    When here it comes - a parade of young ladies in their gowns and the young men in beautiful suits - it was sweet.
    I had a flash back - way back (1974) when I was 16 yrs. old in my gown for my Prom.

Did you attend a Prom - if not why?

Patsy

Local Date
    06-20-2019
    Local Time
    01:01 PM

Re: Prom night

Our prom was cancelled due to the reaction of some people to the assassination of Dr King.
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so." - Will Rogers
    "Truth isn't Truth" - Rudy Giuliani

Local Date
    06-20-2019
    Local Time

Lars -" they" didn't want to reschedule if there could be conflict unfortunate for you & many others.
    That was the "Lorain Motel" in Memphis - visited during our road trip to NY.

I wore a yellow designed gown and my date wore yellow shirt as we drove away in a yellow car..LOL I don't think I remembered that until now.

so young
    Patsy

Local Date
    06-20-2019
    Local Time
    08:01 PM

It's more an american thing. I left school in 74 as well at the height of the three day working week, r inflation was in double figures and britain was the sick man of europe and we wee on bended knees asking the eu to let is join. suits were a luxury, flares kipper ties and long hair were the thing I went to university because i couldn't get a job, got a degree and was unemploted for two years after that and I still hate thatcher.

Life was beige and so were the cars. I'm ome of the lost generation post hippy and pre punk.

Local Date
    06-20-2019
    Local Time

I wasn't really the type for the Prom, anyway.
    I was the nerdy kid in a Redneck School.
    I did make sure that my daughter got to be a part of her Prom. (Even if it was just sending my ex the money for a dress.)
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so." - Will Rogers
    "Truth isn't Truth" - Rudy Giuliani

Local Date
    06-20-2019
    Local Time

I had the time of my life at my Junior Prom because I had met my first "real" girlfriend and we went together.

By a year later, we were fighting at Senior Prom, so she went with my worst enemy...and I took her best friend.

This deteriorated after that.

Local Date
    06-20-2019
    Local Time
    08:01 PM

I'm aware proms exist in Britain but I have no knowledge of them. There certainly wasn't one at the school I attended.

Back then, in some parts of British society, there was gender segregation comparable to anything you might anticipate today at a strict Taliban or Saudi madrassa. I don't believe I'm blanking any memory when I say I didn't speak with any non-related school-age female between my 8th and 16th birthday.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

Local Date
    06-20-2019
    Local Time

Wow

I've always thought being Home Schooled kept the child from interacting with other students - & not being able to participate with all a public school offers.
    I don't think that separation is healthy.

Patsy

Local Date
    06-20-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Patsy Warnick View Post
    Wow

I've always thought being Home Schooled kept the child from interacting with other students - & not being able to participate with all a public school offers.
    I don't think that separation is healthy.
    Patsy
    It's not. As an educator, it's often painfully obvious when a student reaches the level where the parent can no longer educate them and they join the public school system.

Those students are very awkward and lack many of the social skills and understanding of social cues that the other children have. It's pretty heart breaking sometimes.

Think about it...did you learn anything on the playground? Or in the lunchroom? Coping skills to deal with bullies, or racists, or even the other gender?

Local Date
    06-20-2019
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    Saint
    That's exactly my point the lack of social skills.
    Certainly a disadvantage.
    Do you notice if these students are withdrawn?
    Do you notice if they're the ones bullied more so than others?
    I find this particularly sad.
    Patsy

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast