Make these ads go away.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: Queer

  1. #1
    Mad Arse Face Snooz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Other Square State, USA
    Posts
    4,691
    Local Date
    05-31-2020
    Local Time
    10:07 AM

    Queer

    I miss being able to use that word without everyone's thoughts turning to homosexuality. It used to be one of my favorites back when I was s child and it was fun to use in place of "weird"... it just sounded sort of high-falutin' to me.

    Actually "gay" is another one. Remember when it meant happy? Can't really use it for that anymore.

    This is starting to sound sort of homophobic, which wasn't my intent. I just miss certain words that have become ... er... corrupted? I'm not sure what you'd call it.

    Any other ones?

  2. #2
    Senior Member Bruv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Kent..... South East England
    Posts
    12,178
    Local Date
    05-31-2020
    Local Time
    05:07 PM

    Re: Queer

    Just to put you straight about Grumpy Bums use of the word 'Fag'
    It is a word used in the UK to mean a cigarette.
    So.....if someone has a fag, they are smoking, not having intimate concourse with a homosexual.......although in Grumpy's case...........we will have to await and see.
    I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth

  3. #3
    Supporting Member spot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Brigstow
    Posts
    37,146
    Local Date
    05-31-2020
    Local Time
    05:07 PM

    Re: Queer

    Quote Originally Posted by SnoozeAgain View Post
    I just miss certain words that have become ... er... corrupted? I'm not sure what you'd call it.

    Any other ones?
    I'm distressed I can't announce that I'm off cottaging any longer without raising eyebrows. References to fruit occasionally come out wrong too. Even "are you coming out" has its risks. Mind you, taking a vada at someone's bijou lallies was always asking for trouble.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

    The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

    England's troubles will increase until the bishops open Joanna Southcott's box.
    It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

  4. #4
    Zero mod strikes. HAH!!! YZGI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Middle America
    Posts
    11,531
    Local Date
    05-31-2020
    Local Time
    11:07 AM

    Re: Queer

    Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    I'm distressed I can't announce that I'm off cottaging any longer without raising eyebrows. References to fruit occasionally come out wrong too. Even "are you coming out" has its risks. Mind you, taking a vada at someone's bijou lallies was always asking for trouble.
    You talk like that here people would say you were queer.

  5. #5
    Senior Member WonderWendy3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,552
    Local Date
    05-31-2020
    Local Time
    11:07 AM

    Re: Queer

    Quote Originally Posted by YZGI View Post
    You talk like that here people would say you were queer.


    Snooze, my kids and I use the word "gay" all the time and we are not referring to homesexuality at all. It is meant as weird or silly. I hardly ever use queer or fag but do immediately think of homesexuals when I hear those words.

    Rainbow is one that comes to mind....not to stay on the homesexual lifestyle -just what popped in my head.

  6. #6
    High Priestess of Cardis theia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    8,166
    Local Date
    05-31-2020
    Local Time
    04:07 PM

    Re: Queer

    Quote Originally Posted by WonderWendy3 View Post


    Snooze, my kids and I use the word "gay" all the time and we are not referring to homesexuality at all. It is meant as weird or silly. I hardly ever use queer or fag but do immediately think of homesexuals when I hear those words.

    Rainbow is one that comes to mind....not to stay on the homesexual lifestyle -just what popped in my head.
    Rainbow?
    Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    13,586
    Local Date
    05-31-2020
    Local Time
    05:07 PM

    Re: Queer

    The funniest transatlantic confusion is the word fanny, That and an apparent slightly strange fascination with the nether regions of Equus africanus asinus although I suspect that ones' due to a speech defect americans share with the Japanese - the inability to pronounce the letter r properly. I always feel like shouting at the TV for them to pronounce the word arse properly.

    Dave Allen on the Vagaries of the English Language - YouTube

  8. #8
    Zero mod strikes. HAH!!! YZGI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Middle America
    Posts
    11,531
    Local Date
    05-31-2020
    Local Time
    11:07 AM

    Re: Queer

    Quote Originally Posted by gmc View Post
    The funniest transatlantic confusion is the word fanny, That and an apparent slightly strange fascination with the nether regions of Equus africanus asinus although I suspect that ones' due to a speech defect americans share with the Japanese - the inability to pronounce the letter r properly. I always feel like shouting at the TV for them to pronounce the word arse properly.

    Dave Allen on the Vagaries of the English Language - YouTube
    Its hard to pronounce an "R" when we spell it without one. Ass--Not you. Just spelling it.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    13,586
    Local Date
    05-31-2020
    Local Time
    05:07 PM

    Re: Queer

    Quote Originally Posted by YZGI View Post
    Its hard to pronounce an "R" when we spell it without one. Ass--Not you. Just spelling it.
    Don't feel embarrassed about it several million English people can't pronounce it either.

  10. #10
    Supporting Member spot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Brigstow
    Posts
    37,146
    Local Date
    05-31-2020
    Local Time
    05:07 PM

    Re: Queer

    Register to remove this ad.
    It has become impossible to ask "Are you being served" with a straight face here. It doesn't sound like an expression any American would have heard to begin with though.

    "I'm free" definitely has different connotations too.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

    The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

    England's troubles will increase until the bishops open Joanna Southcott's box.
    It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. a queer point of view
    By Carl44 in forum Friends, Relationships, & Advice
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-18-2006, 04:01 AM
  2. Queer.
    By gordonartist in forum General Chit Chat
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 04-19-2006, 02:19 AM
  3. Queer Beer launched for gays
    By Cass in forum Bizarre News Stories
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-01-2005, 11:58 PM
  4. Queer Eye President Guy
    By Tombstone in forum Political Humor & Satire
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-10-2004, 03:40 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts