+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Shooting Gallery

Local Date
    12-06-2019
    Local Time
    05:55 PM

Re: Shooting Gallery

It was your last sentence I put in as the search term.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

England's troubles will increase until the bishops open Joanna Southcott's box.
    It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

Premium Member
    Local Date
    12-06-2019
    Local Time
    12:55 PM

On my last visit which was about three weeks back, I tried a different handgun. I commented to the person monitoring the range that it felt more comfortable than the previous one and that I was more comfortable shooting.

He then asked me if I was going to purchase the gun, to which I stated that I was not ready to own a gun because I was far too sloppy and not attentive enough for one. He looked surprised and said that that is what the shooting range was for.

I disagree with the notion of owning a gun first and then becoming familiar with handling it. That seems to me to be backward thinking. I suppose the mindset is to get the guns out there first. Not smart in my opinion.
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”
    Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's
    Be the wave that I am and then
    Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple

Local Date
    12-06-2019
    Local Time
    10:55 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Ahso! View Post
    On my last visit which was about three weeks back, I tried a different handgun. I commented to the person monitoring the range that it felt more comfortable than the previous one and that I was more comfortable shooting.

He then asked me if I was going to purchase the gun, to which I stated that I was not ready to own a gun because I was far too sloppy and not attentive enough for one. He looked surprised and said that that is what the shooting range was for.

I disagree with the notion of owning a gun first and then becoming familiar with handling it. That seems to me to be backward thinking. I suppose the mindset is to get the guns out there first. Not smart in my opinion.
    I think you're going at it the right way. Get the feel of a gun, and figure out if you even want to make it a regular thing. Find one that is comfortable and easy for you to handle.
    Then make sure of your motivation for owning one. If you just want to target shoot, and play with it then that's cool. You will enjoy it a lot more if it's comfortable.

Do you think you need one for protection? then absolutely knowing how to handle it without having to think through the process is critical. You don't want to be fumbling around with something you are not comfortable with if you are feeling an immediate threat.
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so." - Will Rogers
    "Truth isn't Truth" - Rudy Giuliani

Premium Member
    Local Date
    12-06-2019
    Local Time

I still don't think I need a gun, though all these shooting going on has gotten my attention. I have family members living with me, including a granddaughter, and more next door to me.

My main reason for getting into this was to see what all the excitement is about and to get a feel for people who advocate for guns.

I would have no problem if guns didn't exist or the manufacturing of them were to be outlawed tomorrow. I wouldn't rush out to buy one ... or five.
    Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple

Local Date
    12-06-2019
    Local Time
    10:55 AM

I still don't think I need a gun, though all these shooting going on has gotten my attention. I have family members living with me, including a granddaughter, and more next door to me.

My main reason for getting into this was to see what all the excitement is about and to get a feel for people who advocate for guns.

I would have no problem if guns didn't exist or the manufacturing of them were to be outlawed tomorrow. I wouldn't rush out to buy one ... or five.
    I have been around guns my whole life. I have been in situations where I needed one.
    I've been lucky enough to never had to actually kill anyone, and now plan to try and get through the rest of my life without doing so.

Whatever else people do and say about guns, they are primarily designed and intended for one specific purpose.
    Forget that at your own peril.
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so." - Will Rogers
    "Truth isn't Truth" - Rudy Giuliani

Premium Member
    Local Date
    12-06-2019
    Local Time

On one of my visits, there was a couple probably in their late 30s or early 40s in the booth next to mine. The female was shooting and could hardly hit the target from about 25 yards. They ended up purchasing a gun for her. She'll hopefully get a lot more practice. Guns are too easy of a solution that have lasting consequences at both ends.
    Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple

Local Date
    12-06-2019
    Local Time
    11:55 AM

On one of my visits, there was a couple probably in their late 30s or early 40s in the booth next to mine. The female was shooting and could hardly hit the target from about 25 yards. They ended up purchasing a gun for her. She'll hopefully get a lot more practice. Guns are too easy of a solution that have lasting consequences at both ends.
    Golly, without knowing the target or the firearm hitting something at 75' sounds pretty good.
    “The best laid schemes o' Mice an' Men,
    Gang aft agley.
    An' lea'e us nought but grief an' pain,
    For promis'd joy!

Premium Member
    Local Date
    12-06-2019
    Local Time

Thinking of it in terms of feet, 25 yards is pretty far. It was much closer, more like 15 to 25 feet. She hit the bottom of the square paper target about five times out of quite a bit of shots fired. She was using a small handgun. My target, which was the same, was about double the distance and I got most of my shots within the spectrum of the target, and that was only my second or third time shooting. So, I'm guessing it was her first time. I was using a Glock 19x and hers was smaller.
    Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple

Local Date
    12-06-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by henrychalder View Post
    I decided to have a go at shooting seeing the Americans find it so fascinating, so off I went to Las Vegas to a shooting gallery. After firing several guns I found it quite boring and not very stimulating so I thought I'd have a go at the 50 caliber, I fired one shot then questioned why 2 holes were in the target instead of one? "Oh thats because the shell fragmented" the female instructor said, I was puzzled by this, wasn't the real fact that the shell had hit the target ricochet off back into the target and was coming back at me?
    Quite possibly.

These pictures were taken during an event at my locall gun range.

Back when my wife and I went to an indoor range with only a hundred feet to the back it wasn't all too unusual to get splattered with fragments.
    Gang aft agley.
    For promis'd joy!

Local Date
    12-06-2019
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    Thinking of it in terms of feet, 25 yards is pretty far. It was much closer, more like 15 to 25 feet. She hit the bottom of the square paper target about five times out of quite a bit of shots fired. She was using a small handgun. My target, which was the same, was about double the distance and I got most of my shots within the spectrum of the target, and that was only my second or third time shooting. So, I'm guessing it was her first time. I was using a Glock 19x and hers was smaller.
    Sounds like ya all did pretty well.

I can't expect any miracles to become gun folk like my wife. Well, she loves anything that she is better than me. Her interests go afar as the shooting range.

They are not welcomed in indoor ranges.

Ten years ago I went to a gun shop to buy a Glock 19 for concealed carry it having a 15+1 magazine capacity. It was to fat so when I left still had 500$ burning in my pocket.

Went home got on the computer and ordered a reproduction Colt Army Model 1860

Then I went for a Hawken rifle

Gang aft agley.
    For promis'd joy!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3