+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wotsit

Local Date
    02-18-2019
    Local Time
    12:32 AM

Wotsit

This is a structure in a woods near where I live. It is the subject of quite a bit of curiosity as to what it is. Does anyone have any ideas? Previous suggestions have included an Ice House, something war related, or even a shrine of some sort, but no-one seems to know for sure. https://www.forumgarden.com/forums/a...1&d=1546091709 (Edit: I thought the glitches regarding removal of Line Breaks & Image Inserts / Advanced Editing had been fixed. Apparently not)
    Attached Images

Local Date
    02-17-2019
    Local Time
    05:32 PM

Re: Wotsit

Well, I would go with the "Shrine of some sort."

Perhaps the land once belonged to a monastery or something, before the days of the Reformation.
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so." - Will Rogers
    "Truth isn't Truth" - Rudy Giuliani

Local Date
    02-18-2019
    Local Time

Too small for an Ice house and I'm not convinced that the bricks look right for a pre-reformation structure - a bit of privacy for the Victorian gamekeeper when he was caught short? :-)

There's a workaround for the editor line problem rather than a fix and that is to change to the standard editor in your setting rather than the advanced editor.

Premium Member
    Local Date
    02-17-2019
    Local Time
    07:32 PM

Housing to a statue?
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”
    Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's
    Be the wave that I am and then
    Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple

Local Date
    02-18-2019
    Local Time

Some kind of wartime structure? You don't say where you live but old brick wartime bunkers and air raid shelters can be found in most parts of the country in places where it is no longer immediately obvious why they would be built.

Local Date
    02-18-2019
    Local Time

It's located in Westwood, on the boundary location between Weston & Netley (also the boundary between Southampton & Hampshire). On the other side of the road is the Southampton Water, facing across to the Fawley Oil Refinery. As can be seen by the dog, the scale of the thing means it is less than 1 metre high, so its purpose is fairly limited. It's certainly not big enough to get anyone into, and doesn't appear big enough, or suitably designed to house anything, yet it appears to have been constructed intact & obviously for a very specific purpose, which seems to elude everyone.

Local Date
    02-18-2019
    Local Time

A coke oven, perhaps. For making coke on a small scale.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

Local Date
    02-17-2019
    Local Time
    05:32 PM

Quote Originally Posted by FourPart View Post
    It's located in Westwood, on the boundary location between Weston & Netley (also the boundary between Southampton & Hampshire). On the other side of the road is the Southampton Water, facing across to the Fawley Oil Refinery. As can be seen by the dog, the scale of the thing means it is less than 1 metre high, so its purpose is fairly limited. It's certainly not big enough to get anyone into, and doesn't appear big enough, or suitably designed to house anything, yet it appears to have been constructed intact & obviously for a very specific purpose, which seems to elude everyone.
    Well, I'm sticking with my original guess. Perhaps more recent than the Reformation, though.
    I see that sort of thing housing statues of various religious figures all the time.
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so." - Will Rogers
    "Truth isn't Truth" - Rudy Giuliani

Local Date
    02-18-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
    Well, I'm sticking with my original guess. Perhaps more recent than the Reformation, though.
    I see that sort of thing housing statues of various religious figures all the time.
    That was my chain of thought, as in a shrine.

Local Date
    02-18-2019
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast