Make these ads go away.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 137

Thread: What does it mean to "Believe in the Lord Jesus Christ"?

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    219
    Local Date
    11-14-2019
    Local Time
    02:16 AM

    What does it mean to "Believe in the Lord Jesus Christ"?

    What does it mean to "Believe in the Lord Jesus Christ".
    About 90% of the time the word believe (used in the new testament part of the bible) comes from a Greek word which is a verb and a verb is an action word. If you want to know what you really believe look at your actions: as your actions are a mirror showing what you really believe.

    The words most associated with Jesus are the words Lord and Christ. The word Lord is used 728 times in the new testament part of the bible and most of those uses refer to Jesus, while the word Christ is used 571 times and all of those are a reference to Jesus.

    The term Christ is synonymous with the term Messiah: both come from the Greek and Hebrew words "anointed".

    Dan 9:25 Know therefore and understand, that from the going forth of the commandment to restore and to build Jerusalem unto the Messiah the Prince/Commander...

    Now the Messiah was to be King of the Jews.

    Mat 2:1 Now when Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judaea in the days of Herod the king, behold, there came wise men from the east to Jerusalem,
    Mat 2:2 Saying, Where is he that is born King of the Jews? for we have seen his star in the east, and are come to worship him.
    Mat 2:3 When Herod the king had heard these things, he was troubled, and all Jerusalem with him.
    Mat 2:4 And when he had gathered all the chief priests and scribes of the people together, he demanded of them where Christ/Messiah/King should be born.
    Mat 2:5 And they said unto him, In Bethlehem of Judaea: for thus it is written by the prophet,
    Mat 2:6 And thou Bethlehem, in the land of Juda, art not the least among the princes of Juda: for out of thee shall come a Governor, that shall rule my people Israel.

    So what does it mean to believe in Jesus? It means you believe (verb: through actions) he is your Governor/King/Lord and thus you are his servant: anyone who doesn't believe this is not a Christian (follower of Christ). If you are not committed to following Jesus' teachings: how are you his sheep/follower? You are not.

    Joh 12:47 And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.
    Joh 12:48 He that rejecteth me, and receiveth not my words, hath one that judgeth him: the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day.
    Joh 12:49 For I have not spoken of myself; but the Father which sent me, he gave me a commandment, what I should say, and what I should speak.
    Joh 12:50 And I know that his commandment is life everlasting: whatsoever I speak therefore, even as the Father said unto me, so I speak.


    If Jesus was given his words from God the Father and Jesus is the Christ/King/Commander/Governer/Messiah is it not clear that what Jesus spoke are actual commandments?

    Mat 28:20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you...

    1Jn 2:1 My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:
    1Jn 2:2 And he (Jesus) is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.
    1Jn 2:3 And hereby we do know that we know him (Jesus), if we keep his (Jesus') commandments.
    1Jn 2:4 He that saith, I know him (Jesus), and keepeth not his (Jesus') commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.
    1Jn 2:5 But whoso keepeth his (Jesus') word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him (Jesus').
    1Jn 2:6 He that saith he abideth in him (Jesus) ought himself also so to walk, even as he (Jesus) walked.


    There is a very continuous theme in the NEW TESTAMENT/COVENANT. To deny the Lordship of Christ, in your life, is to deny Christ and not to obey him as Lord is to deny his Lordship.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    13,489
    Local Date
    11-14-2019
    Local Time
    08:16 AM

    Re: What does it mean to "Believe in the Lord Jesus Christ"?

    You've fallen for a tale with no basis in reality?

    Which version have you gone for. Father son and holy ghost or the one and only begotten son - leaving aside god is at best a fornicator.

  3. #3
    Senior Member FourPart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    6,264
    Local Date
    11-14-2019
    Local Time
    09:16 AM

    Re: What does it mean to "Believe in the Lord Jesus Christ"?

    I believe that he was a man who existed & that he was basically a Hippy Guru - a total Political Revolutionary, with such a novel aspect on life that, just as with latter day philosophers, took those that came across him by storm. No 'Son' of an imaginary Deity. Just a man.

    And to believe does NOT mean to be a Sheep (an animal with no will of its own, I might add) or a Follower. I believe Hitler existed. I do not follow him, though.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    219
    Local Date
    11-14-2019
    Local Time
    02:16 AM

    Re: What does it mean to "Believe in the Lord Jesus Christ"?

    Quote Originally Posted by FourPart View Post
    I believe that he was a man who existed & that he was basically a Hippy Guru - a total Political Revolutionary, with such a novel aspect on life that, just as with latter day philosophers, took those that came across him by storm. No 'Son' of an imaginary Deity. Just a man.

    And to believe does NOT mean to be a Sheep (an animal with no will of its own, I might add) or a Follower. I believe Hitler existed. I do not follow him, though.
    The Greek word for believe is the verb form of the word persuasion. To be persuaded in Jesus is to be persuaded in him for who he says he is. The abstract form, or noun form, of the word persuasion, is what you are describing: in your form of the word believe. If you are persuaded in Jesus without actions that is not a verb form of persuasion.

  5. #5
    Senior Member FourPart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    6,264
    Local Date
    11-14-2019
    Local Time
    09:16 AM

    Re: What does it mean to "Believe in the Lord Jesus Christ"?

    Quote Originally Posted by sheep View Post
    The Greek word for believe is the verb form of the word persuasion. To be persuaded in Jesus is to be persuaded in him for who he says he is. The abstract form, or noun form, of the word persuasion, is what you are describing: in your form of the word believe. If you are persuaded in Jesus without actions that is not a verb form of persuasion.
    Utterly wrong. I believe in Jesus as the person he is on record as heving existed. You are trying to say that this is to believe in the superstition that others attribute to him. These are 2 totally different beliefs. One is absolute. The other is abstract.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    219
    Local Date
    11-14-2019
    Local Time
    02:16 AM

    Re: What does it mean to "Believe in the Lord Jesus Christ"?

    Quote Originally Posted by FourPart View Post
    Utterly wrong. I believe in Jesus as the person he is on record as heving existed. You are trying to say that this is to believe in the superstition that others attribute to him. These are 2 totally different beliefs. One is absolute. The other is abstract.
    Everyone that saw Jesus in his day believed that he existed. What does that prove? Verbs are action words and how is your form of belief a verb?

  7. #7
    Senior Member FourPart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    6,264
    Local Date
    11-14-2019
    Local Time
    09:16 AM

    Re: What does it mean to "Believe in the Lord Jesus Christ"?

    Your argument is not only irrelevant, it's wrong. The word 'believe' is a verb & the way in which I have used it is correct. However, the fact that it is a verb has nothing to do with the subject of belief. 'Move' is a verb, but the context in which it is used has nothing to do with the verb itself. "I move the furniture" is a physical concept", whereas "I move people with my singing" is abstract. Yes, the people who saw him in Jesus' time believed in his existence. How could they fail to do otherwise? His existence was there to see. To believe him to be a Messiah, on the other hand is nothing to to do with the other. The first is based on irrefutable fact. The other is based on an opinion.

    Furthermore, 'belief' is equally valid whether it be in the positive or the negative context. "You believe he is a Messiah" is a valid sentence, with which I imagine you would agree. "I believe he was never a Messiah, nor is there any such thing as a Messiah" is also a valid sentence. Both sentences are correct AND both sentences are true. The grammar was never in question. However, your claim that the use of the word which, in its very nature is subjective, is absolute & that to use it affirms that anyone who believes in the physical existence of Jesus must, therefore also believe in the abstract concept of him being the son of an imaginary non-entity is false as well as insulting.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    13,489
    Local Date
    11-14-2019
    Local Time
    08:16 AM

    Re: What does it mean to "Believe in the Lord Jesus Christ"?

    Quote Originally Posted by FourPart View Post
    I believe that he was a man who existed & that he was basically a Hippy Guru - a total Political Revolutionary, with such a novel aspect on life that, just as with latter day philosophers, took those that came across him by storm. No 'Son' of an imaginary Deity. Just a man.

    And to believe does NOT mean to be a Sheep (an animal with no will of its own, I might add) or a Follower. I believe Hitler existed. I do not follow him, though.
    Since you don't believe in his divinity that would mean to many "christians" that you are not a christian since you do not believe as they do. Be glad you live in secular times at least no one will burn you at the stake as a heretic - for the moment anyway let's hope we never go back to thise days.

    Incidentally anyone who believes sheep don't have a will of it's own has never seen one head butting a dog.

  9. #9
    Senior Member High Threshold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2,796
    Local Date
    11-14-2019
    Local Time
    09:16 AM

    Re: What does it mean to "Believe in the Lord Jesus Christ"?

    Quote Originally Posted by sheep View Post
    What does it mean to "Believe in the Lord Jesus Christ".
    To "believe" that Jesus is "the Lord" is your first problem. I knew a fellow from Cardiff who "believed" pigs could fly. He could never produce a flying pig, not even a photo of one airborne ...... but he still "believed" it. I was going to draw an analogy but I forgot what it was.
    Cardiff = Jerusalem? Lord = Flight? Jesus = Pig?

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    219
    Local Date
    11-14-2019
    Local Time
    02:16 AM

    Re: What does it mean to "Believe in the Lord Jesus Christ"?

    Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by FourPart View Post
    Your argument is not only irrelevant, it's wrong. The word 'believe' is a verb & the way in which I have used it is correct. However, the fact that it is a verb has nothing to do with the subject of belief. 'Move' is a verb, but the context in which it is used has nothing to do with the verb itself. "I move the furniture" is a physical concept", whereas "I move people with my singing" is abstract. Yes, the people who saw him in Jesus' time believed in his existence. How could they fail to do otherwise? His existence was there to see. To believe him to be a Messiah, on the other hand is nothing to to do with the other. The first is based on irrefutable fact. The other is based on an opinion.

    Furthermore, 'belief' is equally valid whether it be in the positive or the negative context. "You believe he is a Messiah" is a valid sentence, with which I imagine you would agree. "I believe he was never a Messiah, nor is there any such thing as a Messiah" is also a valid sentence. Both sentences are correct AND both sentences are true. The grammar was never in question. However, your claim that the use of the word which, in its very nature is subjective, is absolute & that to use it affirms that anyone who believes in the physical existence of Jesus must, therefore also believe in the abstract concept of him being the son of an imaginary non-entity is false as well as insulting.
    Let me deal with your post in reverse. You say there is no God, can you be 100% sure? Is consciousness a byproduct of the physical, or does consciousness create the physical: as Robert Lanza suggests in his book "biocentrism". As he points out, quantum physics appears to confirm the second is true and that reality is in consciousness, not in the physical which we are conscious of.

    The concept that consciousness is eternal can easily explain eternity in uncontradicting terms, while a belief in the physical being eternal has all kinds of contradictions and thus some have tried to justify those contradictions by claiming multidimensional universes, which is to say, since the universe cannot self-exist alone, lets create the idea that there are more physical universes that cannot self-exist. You say there is no God, I say there is only God: as without consciousness nothing actually exists.

    You want to claim there is no God, fine, but can you prove that what you see is real apart from consciousness? No, you cannot, as dreams have the exact same structures as non-dream states: except they are longer. What state of consciousness will you have after you die? Might this life be but a dream and a new, longer, conscious state await you still? According to Jesus, the bible, most believers in God and myself, the answer is Yes: this is exactly what will happen. Can you disprove this? No. So keep your ignorant comments to yourself. Your claim, there is no God, is nothing more than an assumption and I believe my belief in God has more grounds in fact than your claim there is no God. You have absolutely no proof God does not exist and as I stated, a belief in God not only makes sense to explain how the physical exists, you cannot even begin to explain how the physical exists and thus you make theories that need continual modifications once people catch on to the problems with them.

    I'll make you a deal, you explain a better way to explain eternity from an uncontradicting perspective than consciousness and you can post there is no God, otherwise don't: as your statements are less sound than a belief in God and your ignorance is all that you have.

    Next, a person's belief is not belief if not acted upon, actually it is disbelief if not acted upon and thus their belief is disbelief. And this is the issue with your belief in Jesus. You say you believe he existed, but you don't believe what he said: only that he existed. Why are you here? I'm curious. Sure you believe in Jesus' existence, but Jesus wasn't interested in people believing in his existence: but rather in his teachings. And Jesus did teach of God and he claimed his teachings are of God; if you don't believe Jesus why defend that you believe Jesus existed and then condemn what he promoted: if you don't believe his words?

    I actually think you're not here to fight for the sake of being a **** disturber, but rather you like what Jesus taught on some levels, but just not on others. I don't think you deny the goodness in Jesus' teachings, on expelling evil from one's actions, by being committed to doing good instead of justifying evil, but I think you are much like others who want to take a piece of Jesus but not the whole package.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts