Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Brett Kavanaugh

Local Date
    11-17-2019
    Local Time
    04:46 AM

Re: Brett Kavanaugh

Quote Originally Posted by yaaarrrgg View Post
    But did it? The Constitution originally represented less than half the country, given that women and slaves couldn't vote. It had a mix of really good and bad ideas.

It's worth thinking about... We place more importance on imaginary boundary lines than we do flesh and blood people.
    Seriously?

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.
    As a group, they pretty much recognized the contract we live by was not all perfect. Served us well.
    Gosh, it would be awful pleasin'
    To reason out the reason
    For things I can't explain

Local Date
    11-17-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by tude dog View Post
    Seriously?

As a group, they pretty much recognized the contract we live by was not all perfect. Served us well.
    I just mean, in regards to the idea that it provided representation to all Americans, it actually failed quite badly. If you give it a letter grade... less than 50% is an F. There's a big difference between "not perfect" and "F" :-)

This was one area where the document needed quite a LOT of improvement, and still needs improvement.

The electoral college was a defect which aimed to protect the plutocracy at the time, while using the idea of democracy as a fig leaf.

Local Date
    11-17-2019
    Local Time
    05:46 AM

Quote Originally Posted by YZGI View Post
    Name calling is neither mature,responsible or professional. Neither is unsubstantiated accusations.
    EXACTLY!
    “This whole two-week effort has been a calculated and orchestrated political hit, fueled with apparent pent-up anger about President Trump and the 2016 election, fear that has been unfairly stoked about my judicial record, revenge on behalf of the Clintons and millions of dollars in money from outside left-wing opposition groups.”
    BRETT KAVANAUGH

Local Date
    11-17-2019
    Local Time
    10:46 AM

Um. I replied and it said error to server....

Ah well. As best I can here it is again:

You seemed to imply Trump is not corrupt up the wahoo. So corrupt he cannot see a difference between truth and lies because everything - everything - is there to serve his purposes. So he thinks he's a genius, thinks he's a great businessman, thinks he's an alpha male...

He's not. He's a pathetic little trustbaby: everything he is came from Dad, the money especially. He is a multiple bankrupt who would have been richer if he'd done nothing but party and abuse more women. Morality is ONLY what suits him - there is no other.

You've got a mediaeval king with all the faults that power all his life gives him: He wants and feels he deserves more power, more money, and all of YOU are just there to give it him. You have no other purpose. You are nothing, compared to him. Nothing at all.

Well the Scots where he built his golf course aren't fooled by his lies any more. How long will it take the American Right (religious or otherwise) or the brexiters?

...I DO love the story I heard tonight from a friend (so can't vouch for truth) that Trump has fired Kelly several times...and Kelly just ignores him and is still there.

I've heard it said that it's a good thing there is no crisis for the President to deal with. Unfortunately there is a crisis and he's doing his best to make it worse: Climate Change. I gather he's recently said it's just weather and will change back so he's pursuing policies that really do make it noticeably worse.

At this point Americans are a bit like Germans when Hitler came to power. He's got his hardcore followers and a whole lot of others who go along. All it takes. Brexit is much the same.

Please vote Democrat in the mid-terms. Please. This is the world and all its species at stake. It's not like the early C20th, this is the C21st and we really can kill the planet fast by both wrong action and by inaction.
    The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"
    Lone voice: "I'm not."

Local Date
    11-17-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by AnneBoleyn View Post
    EXACTLY!
    “This whole two-week effort has been a calculated and orchestrated political hit, fueled with apparent pent-up anger about President Trump and the 2016 election, fear that has been unfairly stoked about my judicial record, revenge on behalf of the Clintons and millions of dollars in money from outside left-wing opposition groups.”
    BRETT KAVANAUGH
    Touche'

That is a good point. Now we can all go to our corners and decide which one is telling the truth.

Local Date
    11-17-2019
    Local Time

You know what's interesting is Kavanaugh said he believed that Ford was telling the truth about being assaulted. His argument was to say they were both speaking the truth in a sense: except that she just didn't know who actually did it, and is now she blamed the wrong person.

It's an interesting defense. But that's not really how memory works, is it?

Recently, I happened to be in a restaurant next to a guy I went to school with. I didn't know him very well... he was the younger brother of one of my friends. It kinda cracked me up though.

Seeing him, I remembered something about him from probably almost 30 years ago ... we were on a school bus and he thought it would be a funny prank to punch me in the arm, when I wasn't looking. He was laughing about it, though it actually hurt a bit.

I remembered that about him when I saw him. Now, there's a 100% chance he forgot about the prank. I doubt he would even remember me, since that was about our only interaction. I probably wouldn't even remember him except for that. So, obviously it's an instinctive survival mechanism that the brain locks onto even mild injuries, probably more strongly than jokes.

The fact that Kavanaugh said she was telling the truth about being assaulted by "someone" and Ford saying that he was drunk and laughing ... that paints a fairly clear picture.

Local Date
    11-17-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by yaaarrrgg View Post
    You know what's interesting is Kavanaugh said he believed that Ford was telling the truth about being assaulted. His argument was to say they were both speaking the truth in a sense: except that she just didn't know who actually did it, and is now she blamed the wrong person.

It's an interesting defense. But that's not really how memory works, is it?

Recently, I happened to be in a restaurant next to a guy I went to school with. I didn't know him very well... he was the younger brother of one of my friends. It kinda cracked me up though.

Seeing him, I remembered something about him from probably almost 30 years ago ... we were on a school bus and he thought it would be a funny prank to punch me in the arm, when I wasn't looking. He was laughing about it, though it actually hurt a bit.

I remembered that about him when I saw him. Now, there's a 100% chance he forgot about the prank. I doubt he would even remember me, since that was about our only interaction. I probably wouldn't even remember him except for that. So, obviously it's an instinctive survival mechanism that the brain locks onto even mild injuries, probably more strongly than jokes.

The fact that Kavanaugh said she was telling the truth about being assaulted by "someone" and Ford saying that he was drunk and laughing ... that paints a fairly clear picture.
    To reason out the reason

Local Date
    11-17-2019
    Local Time
    05:46 AM

Quote Originally Posted by tude dog View Post
    As it was not a trial, due process does not come into it. It was part of a job interview. His arrest, or being charged with a crime never was a part of this. You are just trying to cloud the issue and to change the subject. A smokescreen designed using irrelevant facts to make your non issue appear to be real.

Due Process of Law. A fundamental, constitutional guarantee that all legal proceedings will be fair and that one will be given notice of the proceedings and an opportunity to be heard before the government acts to take away one's life, liberty, or property.
    Due Process of Law - Legal Dictionary

No one tried to take his life or liberty. As for property, no one owns a potential job. He got the rest: notification & opportunity to be heard.

Local Date
    11-17-2019
    Local Time

Exactly. The GOP senators were pretending this was a court case. Saying that Ford was trying to "ruin Kavanaugh's life." But he was born into privilege and would still be quite comfortable if he didn't get the job. He's not fighting for his freedom. He's fighting for more power. Completely different case.

Meanwhile if I showed up at a job interview, and multiple women there said I asaulted them, I certainly wouldn't get the job.

Apparently you ruin a privileged person's life by (one time) holding them to the same standards as everyone else.

Local Date
    11-17-2019
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by AnneBoleyn View Post
    As it was not a trial, due process does not come into it. It was part of a job interview.
    NO

From minute one there was a lynch mob in the wings.

Can we be honest, really?

It is not about Kavanagh, but that the Senate refused to consider Merrick Garland.

Not only that, Kavanagh seems to be a conservative jurist who reads the Constitution for what it is.
    To reason out the reason

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast