Make these ads go away.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Oh the joy of flat-pack furniture

amy

Oh the joy of flat-pack furniture

Oh the joy of flat-pack furniture!

how long does it take for 2 people to put;
    1 tv cabinet, 1 table and 4 chairs, 1 coffee table and 1 dresser together???

uhm well it took us from 11 am untill 8 pm to put all that together. inc a 30 min lunchbreak
    still it took a good 8,5 hours!
    even the 4 chairs had to be put together!

And why is it that you find out half way putting something together that somewhere in between a and e there was a c you had to put in first otherwise it will not fit in the end! (yes of course we did read the unclear instructions! )

or; the holes on side a and side b have to match so you can screw it together but why do the never match?!

By this time you're so frustrated, you wish you never started on the project!

Then you're finished putting everything together you find yourself in one of these situations;

1. they have given you tomany screws.. ? (um well just dont lean on the cabinet and it will be oke)
    2. they have given you to little screws... ? (um well just dont lean on a particular side of the cabinet and it will be oke)

Has anybody else endured this joyfull experience with flat-pack furniture?

San Diego, California (Native born and raised)
    Local Date
    04-03-2020
    Local Time
    07:30 PM

Wink Re: Oh the joy of flat-pack furniture

Rule #1 Buy it assembled or pay someone to assemble it and watch them struggle.
    ALOHA!!
    MOTTO TO LIVE BY:
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.
    WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Banned
    Local Date
    04-04-2020
    Local Time
    02:30 AM

Re: Oh the joy of flat-pack furniture

Amy... I went to Grammar School, I went to College but I could not assemble Flat pack furnature should my life depend on It.
    It Is a monstrosity forced upon us mere mortals by smug Swedish companies who wish to make us feel Inferior. One needs a University degree In Chinese mythology to even comprehend the basic Instructions.

Local Date
    04-04-2020
    Local Time
    03:30 PM

I paid $60 to have a pro assemble my new computer desk last month. It's a pretty big desk and it took him about two hours. If I had attempted to do the job it would still be in progress. I am not Mr. Handyman. It took me one week to assemble a kid's Swing Set when I was first married.

Winter months-Florida, Summer months- New England
    Local Date
    04-03-2020
    Local Time
    10:30 PM

Ah yes, assembling flat pack furniture! The dufuses who have written those supposedly easy step by step assembly instructions S/B shot!!! Most times the instructions & or even the assembly sketches appear to have been done by a 10 year old! (No offence to 10 year olds)
    Luckily for me, being a one time engineer, I can determine how the pieces go together without the instructions. Otherwise just relying on the instructions provided most times are futile.

(However, as Lon said, the easiest way to go is pay to have it assembled by another!)
    Cars
    <"LIFE is SHORT, Make the most of it!!!" GET OUTTA HERE!>
    <Love living Large!>
    <Home is where you're treated the best, but complain the most!>

Local Date
    04-03-2020
    Local Time
    08:30 PM

I've always had a talent for putting stuff like that together.
    Reckon if I lose my job, I could hire out as an assembler?
    "Learn from the mistakes of others---you can never live long enough to make them all yourself."
    - Anon

Local Date
    04-03-2020
    Local Time
    09:30 PM

I can still remember the first desk I put together. There were 3 extra parts when I got finished and finally littleones dad got home and told me that they sometimes put in extras.
    I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.
    Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.

Premium Member
    Local Date
    04-03-2020
    Local Time
    09:30 PM

Quote Originally Posted by flopstock View Post
    I can still remember the first desk I put together. There were 3 extra parts when I got finished and finally littleones dad got home and told me that they sometimes put in extras.
    He was right. At least thats been my experience and I'm pretty good at that sort of thing.

Its most fun assembling furniture such as this with limited use of the directions. It becomes a family project as each member involves themselves in figuring out the final product. We've had lots of fun doing it time and again.

amy

Quote Originally Posted by CARLA View Post
    Rule #1 Buy it assembled or pay someone to assemble it and watch them struggle.
    AHA! now i know where i went wrong!
    Well...... my father inlaw was supposed to help us but! he quickly left after putting the coffee table together.. i wonder why??????

Local Date
    04-04-2020
    Local Time
    03:30 AM

Register to remove this ad.
    Oh I don't envy you. We had a flat-packed bed delivered for my son and it was impossible to put together. Two parts were wrong anyway. We called the company where we got it and they said it takes 2-3 professionals to put together. They should have said that when we bought it! Gave up in the end and bought another one which my 11 year old son managed to put together all by himself. The other will be going on eBay.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast