+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 34 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: The USA Position on Libya

Local Date
    11-13-2019
    Local Time
    01:35 PM

The USA Position on Libya

According to recent polls 60% of Americans support our involvement and 40% do not.
    I guess I am in the 40%. Why? I don't like Gaddafi, but how does this differ from a Civil War? We kill those that kill the rebels to protect the rebels. Now that makes a lot of sense? Who are the rebels? Whose their leader? What is their agenda? Will they be better or worse than Gaddafi? I think the U.S. is flying by the seat of their pants and really doesn't have a clue. If that sounds sarcastic you are right. After Viet Nam, Iraq & Afganistan I am loosing all confidence in our diplomacy and Intelligence Service.

Local Date
    11-12-2019
    Local Time
    05:35 PM

Re: The USA Position on Libya

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    According to recent polls 60% of Americans support our involvement and 40% do not.
    I guess I am in the 40%. Why? I don't like Gaddafi, but how does this differ from a Civil War? We kill those that kill the rebels to protect the rebels. Now that makes a lot of sense? Who are the rebels? Whose their leader? What is their agenda? Will they be better or worse than Gaddafi? I think the U.S. is flying by the seat of their pants and really doesn't have a clue. If that sounds sarcastic you are right. After Viet Nam, Iraq & Afganistan I am loosing all confidence in our diplomacy and Intelligence Service.
    One word. Bull****.

Those polls are all Bull****. Do you really believe any American with their head on straight would ever support a THIRD war in the Middle East when we are already tiring of our first two? We aren't stupid. Our country is broke, we are on the brink of economic collapse, and they're trying to tell us that 60% of Americans are in favor of spreading our military even thinner than it already is......

Sure. Those polls are all fake. This just proves it even more.
    Link removed by moderator

Local Date
    11-13-2019
    Local Time
    01:35 PM

Quote Originally Posted by TruthBringer View Post
    One word. Bull****.

Those polls are all Bull****. Do you really believe any American with their head on straight would ever support a THIRD war in the Middle East when we are already tiring of our first two? We aren't stupid. Our country is broke, we are on the brink of economic collapse, and they're trying to tell us that 60% of Americans are in favor of spreading our military even thinner than it already is......

Sure. Those polls are all fake. This just proves it even more.
    Well do tell-----------------My mini poll has 6 of my 8 neighbors supporting and two of us not.-----No bull****!!!

Local Date
    11-12-2019
    Local Time

We should do a poll here... I'm not in favor of any involvement in Libya.

Local Date
    11-12-2019
    Local Time
    07:35 PM

how about including your neighbour Canada, we are also involved?

I guarantee none are in favor.

Local Date
    11-12-2019
    Local Time
    07:35 PM

Not in favor. I don't understand how we can engage legally without congressional approval. We weren't attacked and aren't in danger of being attacked by Libya.

Local Date
    11-12-2019
    Local Time
    06:35 PM

NOT!!!

To the polls being "fake" I can say with a certainty that 70 to 80% of the folks in my neighborhood are in favor.
    I am in the minority around here.

At least this time, the French, British and Canadians are in on it, and it was not really an American decision. I think we should have stayed out of this on, entirely. No matter how it goes, we will be perceived as the bad guys, here.
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so." - Will Rogers
    "Truth isn't Truth" - Rudy Giuliani

Local Date
    11-13-2019
    Local Time
    12:35 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Accountable View Post
    Not in favor. I don't understand how we can engage legally without congressional approval. We weren't attacked and aren't in danger of being attacked by Libya.
    Obama on presidential war-making powers - Glenn Greenwald - Salon.com

OBAMA: The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation.

As Commander-in-Chief, the President does have a duty to protect and defend the United States. In instances of self-defense, the President would be within his constitutional authority to act before advising Congress or seeking its consent.
    You think you have problems? The RAF squadrons being used were about to be disbanded, another year and it would have been paper aeroplanes.

posted by larsmac
    At least this time, the French, British and Canadians are in on it, and it was not really an American decision. I think we should have stayed out of this on, entirely. No matter how it goes, we will be perceived as the bad guys, here.
    Oh dear poor america being bullied by the nasty french and canadians in to going to war. It's all about the oil and trade, always has been and the french and british used to colonise the area for just that reason, (come to that it's by no means the only time american ships have bombarded tripoli - you still sing songs about the first time) you could put a case that the old colonial powers have been manipulating the states but you'd have to accept the americans are gullible half wits for that view to have any validity. If push comes to shove it's getting to the point the west really needs libyas oil. On the other hand it's clear gaddafi wouild have gone in and slaughtered all those that rose in revolt so what do you do?

meanwhile

US Army 'kill team' in Afghanistan posed with photos of murdered civilians | World news | The Guardian

Local Date
    11-12-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by gmc View Post

you'd have to accept the americans are gullible half wits
    Done.

Local Date
    11-12-2019
    Local Time
    06:35 PM

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by gmc View Post
    Obama on presidential war-making powers - Glenn Greenwald - Salon.com

You think you have problems? The RAF squadrons being used were about to be disbanded, another year and it would have been paper aeroplanes.

posted by larsmac

Oh dear poor america being bullied by the nasty french and canadians in to going to war. It's all about the oil and trade, always has been and the french and british used to colonise the area for just that reason, (come to that it's by no means the only time american ships have bombarded tripoli - you still sing songs about the first time) you could put a case that the old colonial powers have been manipulating the states but you'd have to accept the americans are gullible half wits for that view to have any validity. If push comes to shove it's getting to the point the west really needs libyas oil. On the other hand it's clear gaddafi wouild have gone in and slaughtered all those that rose in revolt so what do you do?

meanwhile

US Army 'kill team' in Afghanistan posed with photos of murdered civilians | World news | The Guardian
    Yup, we are either gullible half-wits, jerked around by the Gnomes of Zurich, or we are the Evil Empire. no middle ground.
    What happens now, if, even with the no-fly zone, Ghaddafi puts down the revolt, and regains control of Libya? You think he get over the interferance of those western nations and life will go on?
    I see him returning to the radical, anti-western whacko he once was, and sponsoring more terrorism.
    next, the European "coalition" will have to take him out. They will likely call on us half-wits to come do the dirty work, again.

The next question is what happens when the rebels take over? Do we know what, exactly, they plan to do when the Colonel is out on his ear?
    They may take the same anti-Western stand, and we still have to do something "to protect Western interests"
    I still see no way we (the West) come out of this looking like good guys.
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so." - Will Rogers
    "Truth isn't Truth" - Rudy Giuliani

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 34 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast