+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: an Anthropology Question

Local Date
    04-05-2020
    Local Time
    09:28 PM

Question an Anthropology Question

Explain how variation, competition for resources, immense geologial time, and geographic isolation can all interact to result ultimately in the appearance of a new species.

I think, therefore I post chonsigirl's Avatar
    Local Date
    04-05-2020
    Local Time
    11:28 PM

Re: an Anthropology Question

For animal or human species? I assume human, since you asked it for anthropology.

Local Date
    04-05-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Saffron
    Explain how variation, competition for resources, immense geologial time, and geographic isolation can all interact to result ultimately in the appearance of a new species.
    Poof! It's magic with a very long, debatable scientific justification.
    Schooling results in matriculation. Education is a process that changes the learner.

Local Date
    04-06-2020
    Local Time
    05:28 AM

Alien interaction?

Local Date
    04-05-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by chonsigirl
    For animal or human species? I assume human, since you asked it for anthropology.
    Human or animal.

I think, therefore I post chonsigirl's Avatar
    Local Date
    04-05-2020
    Local Time
    11:28 PM

That is alot in one question.

From a scientific viewpoint:

Variation-differentiation of species over a period of time, adapting to their environmental needs.

Competition for resources-the survival of the fittest.

Immense geological time-adaptation takes place over time, whether it occurs in leaps or is slow.

Geographic isolation-gene pools become isolated due to many things, natural barriers, movement of continents, etc. Smaller species may only be adapted to a particular location/environment due to specialization over time.

Local Date
    04-05-2020
    Local Time
    08:28 PM

Human AND animal are the same thing. We ARE animal.

Are you serious about finding the answer to speciation on this planet? Because there are many easily understood books and discussions on the subject.

Given space, time and environmental pressures, millions of species have evolved, flourished and disappeared on our planet.

What is it you don't understand?
    My candle's burning at both ends, it will not last the night. But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--It gives a lovely light!--Edna St. Vincent Millay

Local Date
    04-06-2020
    Local Time

I've just read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speciation and that seems to cover the ground as a starter for you.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

England's troubles will increase until the bishops open Joanna Southcott's box.
    It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

Local Date
    04-06-2020
    Local Time

Okay, all life on earth is based on DNA, which is a very large self-replicating molecule made up primarily of 4 amino acid bases arranged on a double helix that is comprised of cyclical carbon chains. These bases provide a blueprint for how lifeforms organize themselves and also the agent of reproduction both sexual and asexual. Sexual reproduction seems to have been invented about 2 billion years after life evolved and thats where things seem to get interesting as by sharing 2 different parent DNA strands the possibility to produce offspring that will surive longer in a given environment seems to be enhanced.

Over the long term a species will live out its life cycle in an environment like say a decidedous forest. Now the individuals in that species obviously do not change, but over long periods of time offspring that are more fit for their environment will tend to live long enough to reproduce and produce more offpring that are good at living in that environment. The ones that are not so good tend not to live as long and reproduce less, so over many many generations less fit members of a given species will die out and the surviving members will be those best at gathering resources, avoiding predators etc. Take for example a polar bear, obviously supremely adapted to living in artic conditions, grizzly's and brown bears are more suited to temperate regions and other bear species have adapted to other environments, they all share a common ancestor, but over time different bear populations gradually moved into different regions and because of the unique conditions of each regions only the offpring that had an edge over others survived, and over a long time this "natural selection" resulted in the varities of different bear species that we see. The best species to observe selection in is insects or bacteria as they have huge individual populations, short lifecycles and many generations over a relatively short period of time. Its one of the reasons why the fruitfly was used in early genetics research.

Local Date
    04-05-2020
    Local Time

Thumbs up Re: an Anthropology Question

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Galbally
    Okay, all life on earth is based on DNA, which is a very large self-replicating molecule made up primarily of 4 amino acid bases arranged on a double helix that is comprised of cyclical carbon chains. These bases provide a blueprint for how lifeforms organize themselves and also the agent of reproduction both sexual and asexual. Sexual reproduction seems to have been invented about 2 billion years after life evolved and thats where things seem to get interesting as by sharing 2 different parent DNA strands the possibility to produce offspring that will surive longer in a given environment seems to be enhanced.

Over the long term a species will live out its life cycle in an environment like say a decidedous forest. Now the individuals in that species obviously do not change, but over long periods of time offspring that are more fit for their environment will tend to live long enough to reproduce and produce more offpring that are good at living in that environment. The ones that are not so good tend not to live as long and reproduce less, so over many many generations less fit members of a given species will die out and the surviving members will be those best at gathering resources, avoiding predators etc. Take for example a polar bear, obviously supremely adapted to living in artic conditions, grizzly's and brown bears are more suited to temperate regions and other bear species have adapted to other environments, they all share a common ancestor, but over time different bear populations gradually moved into different regions and because of the unique conditions of each regions only the offpring that had an edge over others survived, and over a long time this "natural selection" resulted in the varities of different bear species that we see. The best species to observe selection in is insects or bacteria as they have huge individual populations, short lifecycles and many generations over a relatively short period of time. Its one of the reasons why the fruitfly was used in early genetics research.
    thanks so much, I may use some of this in my essay.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast