+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: How sad.

Local Date
    03-29-2020
    Local Time
    10:54 PM

How sad.

I read crap like this and am just grateful for where I live. The article points out that the villagers are all in favor of the hanging.... really? Or are they afraid to voice what their actual thoughts are for fear they'd join her.

Family waits to see if mother, accused of blasphemy, will be hanged - CNN.com
    I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.
    Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.

San Diego, California (Native born and raised)
    Local Date
    03-29-2020
    Local Time
    08:54 PM

Re: How sad.

Whooo..!! stunned and sad for those 2 beautiful young girls.
    ALOHA!!
    MOTTO TO LIVE BY:
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.
    WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Local Date
    03-30-2020
    Local Time
    03:54 AM

Quote Originally Posted by flopstock View Post
    Or are they afraid to voice what their actual thoughts are for fear they'd join her.
    Why is it you're so incapable of accepting that different cultures genuinely want different lifestyles? That McDonald's and Starbucks are local phenomena, that criminality is a reflection of society, that how foreign cultures organize themselves is an internal matter and that when it comes to a moral veto, the USA is that last country on earth to be entrusted with such an option.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

England's troubles will increase until the bishops open Joanna Southcott's box.
    It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

Local Date
    03-29-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by CARLA View Post
    Whooo..!! stunned and sad for those 2 beautiful young girls.
    I'm wondering why we haven't heard more on this from the christians out there. Although now that it's hit the headlines, we should be seeing jessie jackson and crew stepping up as champions any day now.
    I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

anomaly
    Local Date
    03-29-2020
    Local Time

yes, its sad and terrible and evidence that people haven't worked **** out yet. I just feel really uncomfortable every time these threads come up because they have just as much cause to find news stories from our countries that are outrageous, pitiful and immoral.

Local Date
    03-29-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by koan View Post
    yes, its sad and terrible and evidence that people haven't worked **** out yet. I just feel really uncomfortable every time these threads come up because they have just as much cause to find news stories from our countries that are outrageous, pitiful and immoral.
    And these are the same type of things that get said every time a thread about the muslim religion pops up -rather then addressing the story that is being reported. I don't notice it so much when catholic stories or baptists stories get posted. Everyone is happy to pile on those folks.

I no more went looking for this story than I did the story on the family in conn that was tortured overnight, the mother driven to the bank in the morning for funds and than returned home to be raped along with her 11 year old before being killed and the children set on fire.

I don't have a religious bone to grind. I am firmly in the camp of 'none of the above'. The stories I post are stories that are trending on google or yahoo or aol when I flit through them throughout my day. That indicates they may be of interest in a conversation here, so I drop them in. It's just that sinister.

Also, those of you who are so sensitive to users posting stories and comments that could be considered negative about others cultures and countries need to realize that it swings both ways. YOU are not allowed to be critical of my country in any way shape or form from now on. No negative stories, etc.. - only post negatives about your own country or religion.

That's fair and balanced... stifling, but fair and balanced.

Premium Member
    Local Date
    03-29-2020
    Local Time

Thats a good argument, flopstock.

Religion, any religion is the cause of so many crazy events. Nonbelievers don't do stupid stuff like this, though they'd be hanged quite often all over the world if religious zealots could find a way to get away with it.

The lady should not be hanged for this, but boy, you'd think she'd know to keep her mouth shut. With the entire village unanimous about the punishment causes me to think that she may have a habit of vocalizing her opposition to Islam often.
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”
    Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's
    Be the wave that I am and then
    Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple

Local Date
    03-29-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    Why is it you're so incapable of accepting that different cultures genuinely want different lifestyles? That McDonald's and Starbucks are local phenomena, that criminality is a reflection of society, that how foreign cultures organize themselves is an internal matter and that when it comes to a moral veto, the USA is that last country on earth to be entrusted with such an option.
    So you champion the rights of a Muslim country to hang a woman for blasphemy but constantly degrade the U.S. for having states with the death penalty for especially heinous murders? Sounds a bit hypocritical to me.

Local Date
    03-29-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Ahso! View Post
    Thats a good argument, flopstock.

Religion, any religion is the cause of so many crazy events. Nonbelievers don't do stupid stuff like this, though they'd be hanged quite often all over the world if religious zealots could find a way to get away with it.

The lady should not be hanged for this, but boy, you'd think she'd know to keep her mouth shut. With the entire village unanimous about the punishment causes me to think that she may have a habit of vocalizing her opposition to Islam often.
    Don't even know what kind of evidence was offered up. Do you suppose they have transcripts available? For all I know they can convict on the word of the cleric.

I don't believe for a moment that it is unanimous. I would think the dissenters were smart enough not to be asked.

anomaly
    Local Date
    03-29-2020
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    It seems things aren't as bad as it sounded. Perhaps because of the media attention, perhaps not.
    Punjab Governor Salmaan Taseer told AsiaNews that Asia Bibi’s death penalty sentence is “a disgraceful episode. It is an embarrassment for Pakistan.”... “These laws are used to victimise Christians and other groups. They are a foul leftover from the military regime of General Zia-ul-Haq,” Taseer explained.

In an attempt to be reassuring, the governor insisted that the sentence would not be carried out since the appeal court still has to decide whether or not to uphold the sentence.
    source

I tend to focus more on criticism of my own government and the US because Canada and the US are politically linked in some aspects. Regretfully, Canada is like the "mini me" of the States. I somewhat pay attention to the UK news because I have friends there and because it is my ancestral country... And I enjoy making fun of the royal family. In a broader sense of global criticism and concern, I think people are more justified in taking a judgmental stance in affairs of countries that claim to be "leaders of the free world." Pakistan is not one of those.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast