Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Grammer Nazis face defeat.

Local Date
    01-26-2020
    Local Time
    12:29 PM

Re: Grammer Nazis face defeat.

Quote Originally Posted by gmc View Post
    In my experiance those who are most adamant they know the correct way to di it are usually the ones with the least knowledge or understanding of grammar.
    I'm not sure that's necessarily fair. There are legitimate experts.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

England's troubles will increase until the bishops open Joanna Southcott's box.
    It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

Local Date
    01-26-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
    My current pet peeve is the use of "george and I" as in "if you have questions, please send a message to George and I"

I hear so many similar gaffs coming from relatively intelligent people.
    I can remember when that was correct usage (as in ‘my husband and I’ in every Queen’s Speech).

That morphed into “George an me” and then to “me and George” which, personally, I find grates on the ear.

Local Date
    01-26-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    Clearly there is only one way to mitigate this disaster. ForumGarden must become a zero tolerance site and leed the way toward a brighter future. I propose that all ungrammatical or misspelled posts be marked as such, with corrections, in a forum area set aside for that purpose.

My current major area of concern is gender-adjusted syntax, I have no idea yet how it's meant to work. It seems to require a knowledge of the preferred mode of address of each individual.

Sam Smith says they want to take a plural neuter form despite there being only one of them. This involves actively breaking a grammatical rule which has existed for centuries and I for one find it difficult to commit to paper. Their request is made more debatable in that it's exactly what a publicity agent would get excited by, free exposure in mainstream outlets. They may be adding a deeply-held conviction to the conversation but it's awfully hard to tell from the outside.
    I thought it was only royalty that took the plural mode of address.

What form of a dress Sam Smith prefers is of no interest to me, I have no idea who or what Sam Smith is.

Local Date
    01-26-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Bryn Mawr View Post
    I can remember when that was correct usage (as in ‘my husband and I’ in every Queen’s Speech).
    But so it was, as she used it. The phrase "My husband and I" was the subject of her sentence. On the other hand "My butler brought the morning's post to my husband and me". "My husband and me" is the object of the second sentence, and very ungainly it looks too, but it's properly grammatical.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.

Local Date
    01-26-2020
    Local Time

But so it was, as she used it. The phrase "My husband and I" was the subject of her sentence. On the other hand "My butler brought the morning's post to my husband and me". "My husband and me" is the object of the second sentence, and very ungainly it looks too, but it's properly grammatical.
    I sit corrected :-)

Local Date
    01-26-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Bryn Mawr View Post
    I thought it was only royalty that took the plural mode of address.

What form of a dress Sam Smith prefers is of no interest to me, I have no idea who or what Sam Smith is.
    Sam Smith is a practitioner of one or more of the performing arts. More than that I have little idea.

"They" and "Their" have conventionally been third person plural, yes. The solution being sought is that all the forms in English for the third person singular are unemployable (he she and it) for a person (as opposed to an animal or an inanimate thing) when the person actively chooses to reject being labelled with a gender. To use "he" or "she" insists on a sexual identity, to use "it" has an unacceptable historical resonance as dehumanizing.

Inventing a new word such as, for example, "xe", or duplicating "he or she" or "s/he", is all ugly English.

Finally, there is historical precedent back to 1400 for "they" and "their" in a singular context. The demand that it can only apply to plurals started in the 18th century.

Your training, as mine, is based on this recent insistence. We need a flexible alternative mindset at the moment. Bear in mind that fundamental observation of Samuel Johnson in his Preface: "what makes a word obsolete, more than general agreement to forbear it? and how shall it be continued, when it conveys an offensive idea, or recalled again into the mouths of mankind, when it has once by disuse become unfamiliar, and by unfamiliarity unpleasing".

Local Date
    01-26-2020
    Local Time

Clearly there is only one way to mitigate this disaster. ForumGarden must become a zero tolerance site and leAd the way toward a brighter future. I propose that all ungrammatical or misspelled posts be marked as such, with corrections, in a forum area set aside for that purpose.
    Your wish is my command.

Local Date
    01-26-2020
    Local Time

That was just my anti-homophonia exposing itself.

Local Date
    01-26-2020
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    Grammar Nazis are the worstest.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2