Quote Originally Posted by Bryn Mawr View Post
    Surely far too small for that purpose
    Also no sign of charring.

Local Date
    01-23-2019
    Local Time
    04:59 AM

Re: Wotsit

...not been able to get onto the site for a while. Don't know why except I associate it with problems we've all been having (so I gather)…

My guess is water. it's not pre-reformation - the bricks are too thick. It's Victorian probably and my guess is water related. Either there is/was a spring or a tap there, or piping associated with a tap, would be my guess.

edit: I'd say Edwardian rather than Victorian. It looks too fragile. But still guessing!

edit edit: The other thing is that shape is a pure Roman niche. They stuck statues, springs, you-name-it in niches that looked like that. Both Edwardians and Victorians used it as a sign of sophistication. This one is stuck out on its own. That looks like Edwardian showing off to me - either picnics or shooting parties.

nb: I am not certain about any of this. It's best guess.
    The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"
    Lone voice: "I'm not."

Local Date
    01-23-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Clodhopper View Post
    ...not been able to get onto the site for a while. Don't know why except I associate it with problems we've all been having (so I gather)…

My guess is water. it's not pre-reformation - the bricks are too thick. It's Victorian probably and my guess is water related. Either there is/was a spring or a tap there, or piping associated with a tap, would be my guess.

edit: I'd say Edwardian rather than Victorian. It looks too fragile. But still guessing!

edit edit: The other thing is that shape is a pure Roman niche. They stuck statues, springs, you-name-it in niches that looked like that. Both Edwardians and Victorians used it as a sign of sophistication. This one is stuck out on its own. That looks like Edwardian showing off to me - either picnics or shooting parties.

nb: I am not certain about any of this. It's best guess.
    Sounds good to me :-)

Could you detail your problems getting onto the site in the request for feedback thread?

Local Date
    01-23-2019
    Local Time
    03:59 PM

Quote Originally Posted by FourPart View Post
    This is a structure in a woods near where I live. It is the subject of quite a bit of curiosity as to what it is. Does anyone have any ideas? Previous suggestions have included an Ice House, something war related, or even a shrine of some sort, but no-one seems to know for sure. https://www.forumgarden.com/forums/a...1&d=1546091709 (Edit: I thought the glitches regarding removal of Line Breaks & Image Inserts / Advanced Editing had been fixed. Apparently not)
    Where exactly are you located geographically in this pic? It's an outdoor oven or opening to a larder ...how far did it go back into the mound behind it? Defo looks like a beehive oven though.

Local Date
    01-23-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by magentaflame View Post
    Where exactly are you located geographically in this pic? It's an outdoor oven or opening to a larder ...how far did it go back into the mound behind it? Defo looks like a beehive oven though.
    It's in here, in the middle of the woods, on the border of Weston & Netley, on the Southampton side of the Southampton Water:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.88...7i16384!8i8192

The mass of earth behind it appears to be more a case of natural accumulation of debris over the years, rather than design. It doesn't go any further down than is seen, and there are no scorch marks as one would expect to see from any fires having been made inside.

Local Date
    01-23-2019
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    Had anybody thought of digging around the base, particularly the front part, to just see how tall it actually is. The Easter Island Moai statues come to mind, when they dug down below the heads to find huge bodies ! Maybe a contact with the "Time Team" in the UK could make suggestions (useful ones) and maybe even come and have a look themselves ?
    I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2