+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Boycotting tRump's 2020 SOTU

Premium Member
    Local Date
    04-01-2020
    Local Time
    06:38 PM

Boycotting tRump's 2020 SOTU

It appears that at least 9 Democrats will boycot this. Good for them. I'll be boycotting as well.
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”
    Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's
    Be the wave that I am and then
    Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple

Local Date
    04-01-2020
    Local Time
    05:38 PM

Re: Boycotting tRump's 2020 SOTU

I am certain that I have something else to do tonight.
    "Learn from the mistakes of others---you can never live long enough to make them all yourself."
    - Anon

Local Date
    04-01-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
    I am certain that I have something else to do tonight.
    I was right. Leftover Pizza.
    "Learn from the mistakes of others---you can never live long enough to make them all yourself."
    - Anon

Local Date
    04-01-2020
    Local Time

I had to play a video game and pretend that the enemies were all trump clones. By the way, did you see him leave Nancy Pelosi's hand hanging and disrespect her? What an a$$.

Premium Member
    Local Date
    04-01-2020
    Local Time

I honestly don't understand why either would want to shake the other's hand. The way the two of them have been carrying on publically in the media, empty gestures like hand-shaking is just so transparently phony anyway. Both deserve to be thrown out of office.
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”
    Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's
    Be the wave that I am and then
    Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple

Local Date
    04-01-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Ahso! View Post
    I honestly don't understand why either would want to shake the other's hand. The way the two of them have been carrying on publically in the media, empty gestures like hand-shaking is just so transparently phony anyway. Both deserve to be thrown out of office.
    Personal feelings aside, the handshake has long been a gesture of respect for the office held by the individual.

The lack of respect for the offices due to the person holding them seems a bit petty to me. Though, honestly, I doubt that I could shake that man's hand regardless of the office he held.
    - Anon

Local Date
    04-01-2020
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
    Personal feelings aside, the handshake has long been a gesture of respect for the office held by the individual.

The lack of respect for the offices due to the person holding them seems a bit petty to me. Though, honestly, I doubt that I could shake that man's hand regardless of the office he held.
    I like that attitude.

I was kind of too busy to listen to the address. To be frank, really couldn't stomach knowing he would repeat his standard litany of "accomplishments", real or imagined repeated ad nauseam.

I knew about this but had to look it up to get it straight.

George Washington delivered the first regular annual message before a joint session of Congress on January 8, 1790, in New York City, then the provisional U.S. capital. In 1801, Thomas Jefferson discontinued the practice of delivering the address in person, regarding it as too monarchical (similar to the Speech from the Throne). Instead, the address was written and then sent to Congress to be read by a clerk until 1913 when Woodrow Wilson re-established the practice despite some initial controversy, and an in-person address to Congress has been delivered nearly every year since.

A real radical move to throw everybody into a tizzy would be for a President to follow Predident Jefferson's example.
    “The best laid schemes o' Mice an' Men,
    Gang aft agley.
    An' lea'e us nought but grief an' pain,
    For promis'd joy!

+ Reply to Thread