Page 459 of 460 FirstFirst ... 359 409 449 457 458 459 460 LastLast
Results 4,581 to 4,590 of 4595

Thread: Science Disproves Evolution

Local Date
    04-04-2020
    Local Time
    03:35 PM

Re: Science Proves Evolution

Global human genomes reveal rich genetic diversity shaped by complex evolutionary history

A new study has provided the most comprehensive analysis of human genetic diversity to date, after the sequencing of 929 human genomes by scientists at the Wellcome Sanger Institute, the University of Cambridge and their collaborators. The study uncovers a large amount of previously undescribed genetic variation and provides new insights into our evolutionary past, highlighting the complexity of the process through which our ancestors diversified, migrated and mixed throughout the world.
    "Learn from the mistakes of others---you can never live long enough to make them all yourself."
    - Anon

Local Date
    04-04-2020
    Local Time

Fine-tuning radiocarbon dating could 'rewrite' ancient events

Radiocarbon dating, invented in the late 1940s and improved ever since to provide more precise measurements, is the standard method for determining the dates of artifacts in archaeology and other disciplines.

A new paper led by Cornell University points out the need for an important new refinement to the technique. The outcomes of his study, published March 18 in Science Advances, have relevance for understanding key dates in Mediterranean history and prehistory, including the tomb of Tutankhamen and a controversial but important volcanic eruption on the Greek island of Santorini.

Radiocarbon dating measures the decomposition of carbon-14, an unstable isotope of carbon created by cosmic radiation and found in all organic matter. Cosmic radiation, however, is not constant at all times. To account for fluctuations of cosmic radiation in the Earth's atmosphere, the radiocarbon content of known-age tree rings was measured backward in time from the 20th century, for thousands of years...

Tree-ring calibrated radiocarbon started to be widely used 50 years ago. A standard calibration curve was introduced in 1986 and is updated every few years as more data are added.

"A single Northern Hemisphere calibration curve has formed the basis of radiocarbon dating in Europe and the Mediterranean for five decades, setting the time frame for prehistory," Manning and co-authors write. "However, as measurement precision increases, there is mounting evidence for some small but substantive regional (partly growing season) offsets in the same-year radiocarbon levels."

In their study, Manning and co-authors question the accuracy of a single calibration curve for all of the Northern Hemisphere. Using data collected by only one lab to control for interlaboratory variation, they compared radiocarbon data from northern Europe (Germany) and from the Mediterranean (central Turkey) in the 2nd and 1st millennia B.C. They found that some small but critical periods of variation for Mediterranean radiocarbon levels exist. Data from two other radiocarbon labs on samples from central Italy and northern Turkey then provided consistency.

Growing seasons play a role, the paper says. The radiocarbon level on Earth varies according to the season; there's a winter low and a summer high, Manning said. The carbon in a tree ring reflects when the tree was photosynthesizing and, therefore, taking carbon out of the atmosphere.

"In northern Europe or in North America, a tree is going to be doing this in April through September. But a tree in Jordan or Israel does that October through April—almost the opposite time of the year," he said.

These variations, although small, potentially affect calendar dates for prehistory by up to a few decades, the paper concludes.
    "Learn from the mistakes of others---you can never live long enough to make them all yourself."
    - Anon

Local Date
    04-04-2020
    Local Time
    10:35 PM

Quote Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
    Climate change happens all the time, true.

However, the current trend in climate change that indicates a rather significant increase in average Atmospheric temperatures, can be directly linked to the the significant increase in Concentrations of Carbon Dioxide (and Methane) in the atmosphere.

The approximate 22 year overall cycle of Solar activity has been studied for some time, and, while it might contribute to some of the fluctuations, no, it is not, in and of itself, responsible for the observed phenomenon referred to as Global Warming.

Not even close, Bob.
    Besides, what has any of that to do with Evolution?
    Actually, Climate Change has a lot to do with evolution. It is one of the key factors behind it. Evolution happens when species need to adapt to a constantly changing environment, otherwise they would stagnate. Those that do not adapt simply die off & join the list of extinct species. Remember, there are far more extinct species than there are alive today.

Local Date
    04-04-2020
    Local Time

Re: Science Disproves Evolution

Science just proved evolution. The Corona virus evolved to be able to infect humans from pangolins. This thread is an annoying, redundant, abhorrent stain on the intelligence of the Forum garden community. Lock it now. I’m sick of the sheer ignorance and superstitious, detestable, and deliberately stupid title of this thread beating me over the head and threatening to burn me at the stake old-style Christian ever time I log on.

Get rid of it. I’m fracking serious. It’s time to face the world with sense instead of willful blindness. Take a blasted stand, mods! Spare us this purile tripe!

Local Date
    04-04-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Saint_ View Post
    Science just proved evolution. The Corona virus evolved to be able to infect humans from pangolins. This thread is an annoying, redundant, abhorrent stain on the intelligence of the Forum garden community. Lock it now. I’m sick of the sheer ignorance and superstitious, detestable, and deliberately stupid title of this thread beating me over the head and threatening to burn me at the stake old-style Christian ever time I log on.

Get rid of it. I’m fracking serious. It’s time to face the world with sense instead of willful blindness. Take a blasted stand, mods! Spare us this purile tripe!
    I found this item interesting with Aron Ra testifying regarding the ongoing fight to keep Creationism out of the classroom.

https://youtu.be/iYPfh-dpsP4

Local Date
    04-04-2020
    Local Time

Oh bloody hell. Lock it already.

Local Date
    04-04-2020
    Local Time

It occurs to me, after all this discussion about Evolution, it might be a good idea for people who have not done so to actually have the opportunity to read up on what all the hoopla is about.

Little know fact:
    Darwin never called it Evolution. It was not until his 7th edition of the publication, On the Origin of Species, that he even mentioned "Evolution"

So, let's cut to the chase, and start over with a reading of the book that seems to have started the whole to-do.
    http://darwin-online.org.uk/converte...ginNY_F382.pdf
    - Anon

Local Date
    04-04-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
    It occurs to me, after all this discussion about Evolution, it might be a good idea for people who have not done so to actually have the opportunity to read up on what all the hoopla is about.

Little know fact:
    Darwin never called it Evolution. It was not until his 7th edition of the publication, On the Origin of Species, that he even mentioned "Evolution"

So, let's cut to the chase, and start over with a reading of the book that seems to have started the whole to-do.
    http://darwin-online.org.uk/converte...ginNY_F382.pdf
    I don't think anyone denies that Darwin was mistaken on many things - that's how Science works. It reviews the evidence & seeks to falsify & build on the knowledge. However, the primary concept was spot on. He even made predictions of the nature of species that should be found, and all of those have since been found.

Local Date
    04-04-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by FourPart View Post
    I don't think anyone denies that Darwin was mistaken on many things - that's how Science works. It reviews the evidence & seeks to falsify & build on the knowledge. However, the primary concept was spot on. He even made predictions of the nature of species that should be found, and all of those have since been found.
    True. The work of Darwin and Wallace set the stage for the advancements in science that led to understanding our entire biological environment.
    - Anon

Local Date
    04-04-2020
    Local Time
    05:35 PM

Register to remove this ad.
    What people consider evolution is very easy to explain.

God creating the world in 6 days is not 6 days as we know them. God's perception on time is different. I've been told all my life that a human lifespan in like the blink of the eye to God. Each day that is mentioned in the Bible could mean thousands of even millions of years by our way of thinking.

But do not overlook this one fact, beloved, that with the Lord one day is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day. 2Peter 3:8

Yet you do not know what tomorrow will bring. What is your life? For you are a mist that appears for a little time and then vanishes. James 4:14

+ Reply to Thread