Make these ads go away.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Thread: Not with a Bang, but with a Sneeze?

Local Date
    04-01-2020
    Local Time
    06:44 PM

Re: Not with a Bang, but with a Sneeze?

Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    .How many people do we think we're actually saving? 20% of the non-intervention deaths at he very most? 10% more probably? I'm not sure, given all the other unknowns, that is is a worthwhile swap.
    Speak for yourself buddy! I'm in the 10% demographic. You just wished death on me! I'll come back from the dead to haunt you for that!

Local Date
    04-02-2020
    Local Time
    01:44 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Saint_ View Post
    Speak for yourself buddy! I'm in the 10% demographic. You just wished death on me! I'll come back from the dead to hand you for that!
    I may have misunderstood the figures in the press but I had thought that even the slackest 80 year old a week into recovery from a heart lung transplant has a three in four likelihood of survival of the infection itself, once they display coronavirus symptoms. Pensioners with preconditions follow not far behind, but it's scarcely a death sentence. I know of no category which has a worse chance than that. Do you?
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

England's troubles will increase until the bishops open Joanna Southcott's box.
    It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

Local Date
    04-01-2020
    Local Time

it's scarcely a death sentence.
    Tell that to these people:

Coronavirus Death Toll

20,519 people have died so far from the coronavirus COVID-19 outbreak as of March 25, 2020, 17:52 GMT.

http://www.worldometers.info/coronav...us-death-toll/

Local Date
    04-02-2020
    Local Time

Tell that to these people:

Coronavirus Death Toll

20,519 people have died so far from the coronavirus COVID-19 outbreak as of March 25, 2020, 17:52 GMT.
    Out of Lars' estimate of 3 million? It's not much of a dent in progress really.

You killed more than that last year in car smashes.

More relevantly, given it's a world total, malaria killed 2 million last year too and it will do the same again by the end of this one.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.

Local Date
    04-01-2020
    Local Time

Yeah...and I didn't wish that on any of them either, Spot. Stop dodging.

Local Date
    04-01-2020
    Local Time

We are working on a move out to the country, out near the Kansas border. we bought a house out there and are having it renovated. We made trip out to meet with the contractor, and went exploring the nearby town.
    We were shocked for read in the town newspaper that this COVID-19 has actually found its way to the town, already.
    Apparently a chap had been working at one of the ski resorts until it was shut down a few of weeks ago after some cases appeared up there. He has been home for over a week and just now began to express symptoms.
    "Learn from the mistakes of others---you can never live long enough to make them all yourself."
    - Anon

Local Date
    04-01-2020
    Local Time

We were just talking about this
    Covid-19 antibody test ready 'in days'

Some good news
    "Learn from the mistakes of others---you can never live long enough to make them all yourself."
    - Anon

Local Date
    04-02-2020
    Local Time

Having seen the UK has, on the whole, responded to government advice, and having seen the staggering measures the Treasury has brought into play to mitigate the social impact, I confess I'm impressed by the government's willingness to be led by their technical and medical advisers.

I didn't believe the British government would be prepared to put in sufficient resources to actually achieve a significant reduction in the peak daily confirmed case count but I think what they have done might succeed. It will still leave too many ill people untreated for there not to be an Enquiry afterwards, but it will definitely have saved a lot of life. The debt will be spectacular too, but at least they'll have something to show for it.

Elsewhere, if President Trump has any sense at all he'll stop appearing in front of cameras for the next few months, it's embarrassing to watch.

Yeah...and I didn't wish that on any of them either, Spot. Stop dodging.
    When your total US deaths passes a million, which it will, I'll apologize. None of this is remotely funny, I'm not laughing, and I have yet to see any mass US response at all. Closing the schools and working from home can only have an effect if people then stay indoors and don't go out, and I doubt they're doing that in sufficient numbers. You're there, you can see better than me. Are they? The trouble with car drivers is that most think they're better than average, the same mentality applies.

Local Date
    04-01-2020
    Local Time

Having seen the UK has, on the whole, responded to government advice, and having seen the staggering measures the Treasury has brought into play to mitigate the social impact, I confess I'm impressed by the government's willingness to be led by their technical and medical advisers.

I didn't believe the British government would be prepared to put in sufficient resources to actually achieve a significant reduction in the peak daily confirmed case count but I think what they have done might succeed. It will still leave too many ill people untreated for there not to be an Enquiry afterwards, but it will definitely have saved a lot of life. The debt will be spectacular too, but at least they'll have something to show for it.

Elsewhere, if President Trump has any sense at all he'll stop appearing in front of cameras for the next few months, it's embarrassing to watch.

When your total US deaths passes a million, which it will, I'll apologize. None of this is remotely funny, I'm not laughing, and I have yet to see any mass US response at all. Closing the schools and working from home can only have an effect if people then stay indoors and don't go out, and I doubt they're doing that in sufficient numbers. You're there, you can see better than me. Are they? The trouble with car drivers is that most think they're better than average, the same mentality applies.
    Well, The US passed China for Confirmed cases, today.

We will make this thing all about us, even if it kills us.
    - Anon

Local Date
    04-02-2020
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    I think there's now enough data to narrow that down a bit. The millionth confirmed case worldwide appears to be due on March 26th give or take a day. Beyond that it's pointless to make estimates, but the course of March seems predictable now within reason.
    That was posted on March 3rd, when the Rest of the World total was 12,700. I apologize for having been out by three days but I'm not sure I merited disbelief when I said it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast