+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Judge Asks Doctors To Damage Criminal's Spine

Local Date
    11-21-2019
    Local Time
    11:14 PM

Judge Asks Doctors To Damage Criminal's Spine

A Saudi judge has asked several hospitals if they are willing to damage a man's spinal cord as punishment for a cleaver attack that left a 22-year-old paralysed.

The victim, Abdul-Aziz al Mutairi, became paralysed and subsequently lost a foot after a fight more than two years ago.

An unnamed man was sentenced to 14 months in prison for the assault, but released after serving only half that time.

The shortened jail time has reportedly enraged Mr Mutairi's family.

His 27-year-old brother Khaled said they want an equivalent punishment for the attacker and have appealed to a judge in northwestern Tabuk province.

"We are asking for our legal right under Islamic law," the brother said.

"There is no better word than God's word - an eye for an eye."

The judge has since asked several hospitals if medical paralysis was possible and would they perform the operation.

Local newspapers reported a facility in the capital Riyadh had declined, saying it could not inflict such harm.

Saudi Arabia enforces strict Islamic law and occasionally hands out punishments based on the ancient legal code.

Amnesty International has expressed concerns over the reports and said it was contacting Saudi authorities for details.

"We are very concerned and we will appeal to the authorities not to carry out such a punishment," said Lamri Chirouf, the group's researcher on Saudi Arabia.

He added this was the first time Amnesty had heard of a punishment involving the damaging of a spinal cord.

"It's hard to follow details of the Saudi justice system. People are sentenced in closed trials with no access to the public and no lawyers."

Judge Asks Doctors To Damage Criminal's Spine - Yahoo! News UK

Local Date
    11-21-2019
    Local Time
    10:14 PM

Re: Judge Asks Doctors To Damage Criminal's Spine

I can't see anything in that report which confirms "Judge Asks Doctors To Damage Criminal's Spine", Rap.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

England's troubles will increase until the bishops open Joanna Southcott's box.
    It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

Local Date
    11-21-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    I can't see anything in that report which confirms "Judge Asks Doctors To Damage Criminal's Spine", Rap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapunzel View Post
    A Saudi judge has asked several hospitals if they are willing to damage a man's spinal cord as punishment for a cleaver attack that left a 22-year-old paralysed.

The judge has since asked several hospitals if medical paralysis was possible and would they perform the operation.

Local newspapers reported a facility in the capital Riyadh had declined, saying it could not inflict such harm.

He added this was the first time Amnesty had heard of a punishment involving the damaging of a spinal cord.

A judge has asked . . . a facility has declined . . . the first time Amnesty had heard of . . .

Whilst 3 different sources have verified the claim it is still only hearsay, as are so many news paper reports.

I thought it was an item of interest to other FG readers particularly given the recent threads on Islam and Sharia Law.

I've also been reading an article on how many illegals come into the country through human trafficking and how they are often mules for the drug barons as they are carrying condoms full of heroin in their stomachs. Whilst I in no way agree with Sharia Law, I do think that we need a tightening up of laws and some astute sanctions in place rather than the lame loop-holes of laws that we have now.

Other than that, you know as much as I do, via the link I added. I'm afraid I can't give you any further data than that Spot.

Local Date
    11-21-2019
    Local Time
    05:14 PM

That would certainly fit the punishment to the crime.

Local Date
    11-21-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Accountable View Post
    That would certainly fit the punishment to the crime.
    If that happened in this country the perpetrator would be receiving counseling because his parents divorce as a toddler allegedly drove him to it, whilst the victim would be lucky to get a manky old NHS wheelchair with skewed wheels.

San Diego, California (Native born and raised)
    Local Date
    11-21-2019
    Local Time
    03:14 PM

If he is guilty this is truely a "Eye for an Eye".
    ALOHA!!
    MOTTO TO LIVE BY:
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.
    WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Local Date
    11-21-2019
    Local Time
    03:14 PM

Quote Originally Posted by CARLA View Post
    If he is guilty this is truely a "Eye for an Eye".
    True, and as Gandhi is credited as saying,
    "An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth, and soon the whole world will be blind and toothless"
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so." - Will Rogers
    "Truth isn't Truth" - Rudy Giuliani

Local Date
    11-21-2019
    Local Time

A judge has asked . . . a facility has declined . . . the first time Amnesty had heard of . . .

Whilst 3 different sources have verified the claim it is still only hearsay, as are so many news paper reports.
    I should just stop being so polite, I suppose. Avoiding my original diffident suggestion that you might have inadvertently erred, there is absolutely nothing at all in the news article which supports your thread title, "Judge Asks Doctors To Damage Criminal's Spine". Unless you've seen it elsewhere, if you're just relying on the news article you've quoted, your thread title is an invention entirely made up by you and you alone and it never happened. No Judge Asked Any Doctor To Damage Any Criminal's Spine. Okay?

Let's try it that way instead, shall we?

eta: The link goes to a Yahoo article which, I now find, carries the title you used here, so it's not your invention after all. I'd only read the thread, where the source of the thread title wasn't at all apparent. My criticism of the title still stands.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.

Local Date
    11-21-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    I should just stop being so polite, I suppose. Avoiding my original diffident suggestion that you might have inadvertently erred, there is absolutely nothing at all in the news article which supports your thread title, "Judge Asks Doctors To Damage Criminal's Spine". Unless you've seen it elsewhere, if you're just relying on the news article you've quoted, your thread title is an invention entirely made up by you and you alone and it never happened. No Judge Asked Any Doctor To Damage Any Criminal's Spine. Okay?

Let's try it that way instead, shall we?

eta: The link goes to a Yahoo article which, I now find, carries the title you used here, so it's not your invention after all. I'd only read the thread, where the source of the thread title wasn't at all apparent. My criticism of the title still stands.
    Are you being a little pedantic, hun?

If you're going to eta and criticise the title (which as you pointed out, I didn't choose) why not, at the same time, delete your first paragraph, particularly "Unless you've seen it elsewhere, if you're just relying on the news article you've quoted, your thread title is an invention entirely made up by you and you alone and it never happened. No Judge Asked Any Doctor To Damage Any Criminal's Spine. Okay?"
    Which I find particularly offensive.

An apology, when you're in the wrong, would mitigate the situation slightly, but you would have been better to delete the whole erroneous criticism.

eta: the source of the thread title was apparent in both the link above above and as the title to the open link, proving it came from yahoo and not from me.

PS. What kind of proof are you looking for? A signed affidavit from the judge?

Local Date
    11-21-2019
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    PS. What kind of proof are you looking for? A signed affidavit from the judge?
    Deleting text from a post, as opposed to adding a clarification, is far less respectable. Once it's been posted it's out there and ought not to be changed.

The ambiguity exists in not being able to tell, without clicking the link and noticing, that the thread title is itself a copy of someone else's original. Perhaps looking more closely would have alerted me to the possibility but even so, adopting it as the thread title does imply a degree of acceptance of the statement. It's become, by that stage, the thread title on FG's thread list.

My point is not that anything's unproven, it's that the article makes it absolutely clear that the thread title (and, as you point out, the original article title) is completely untrue. The judge made enquiries in order to inform himself so as to respond to the application, he most certainly didn't ask any doctor to damage anyone's spine. Would you accept that as accurate, at this stage, or are you saying maybe he did maybe he didn't?

We could, if you like, discuss whether or not it's a reasonable sentence compared to the English alternative of imprisonment or a fine. I know of no evidence that imprisonment has any positive effect in terms of deterrence, of reform or of punishment. The Saudi judicial system can at least point to their far lower crime rate to support the removal of extremities as a deterrent to potential offenders. The question really boils down to whether surgically inducing paraplegia furthers the same end.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast