Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Ethical cuisine

Local Date
    10-21-2019
    Local Time
    11:13 AM

Re: Ethical cuisine

Quote Originally Posted by Delorean View Post
    If you met my family, you wouldn't think it was so distant!
    I speak not of the plump pampered potato. ringed with herbicides and insecticides, made obese by the overapplication of nitrates and phosphates, plucked in its prime for presentation to pallid purchasers. I speak of the potato which is yet to come, returned to its wild and dangerous ways, fighting fearlessly across glaciated ravines to achieve its destiny upon the mountain tops of its native ranges. The potato is the quintessential Irish Rover.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

Local Date
    10-21-2019
    Local Time
    09:13 PM

Local Date
    10-21-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Delorean View Post
    I had in mind, I think, an American poem of great renown by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, part of which went
    "Beware the pine-tree's withered branch!
    Beware the awful avalanche!"
    This was the peasant's last Good-night,
    A voice replied, far up the height,
    Excelsior!
    It was for many years considered a great, if hard to visualize, poem, until it was parodied into oblivion and immortalized all in one blow by Marriott Edgar.

Anyway, if I ever see a potato variety called Excelsior! I will certainly recall this thread.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.

Local Date
    10-21-2019
    Local Time

Good chap, Longfellow.

This is him on the topic of God's Acre:
    Into its furrows shall we all be cast,
    In the sure faith, that we shall rise again
    At the great harvest, when the archangel's blast
    Shall winnow, like a fan, the chaff and grain.
    It's deceptively simple. Everything he wrote is in the same vein.

He's even got his own website and not many people born in 1807 can boast one.

Local Date
    10-21-2019
    Local Time
    04:13 AM

Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    Future generations will regard you as barbaric, as shall I from this moment on. So there.
    Actually, I believe the real ethical problem is (and this brings back the mention of Soylent Green) that we have made enormous strides in extracting ourselves from the food chain, while at the same time endulging in the benefits of our current place in it.
    We should be willing to return, in our entirety to the chain of life, if we wish to continue to consume same.
    I believe all that are unwilling to return to the chain of life, should follow your advice and look outside the food chain for sustenance.
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so." - Will Rogers
    "Truth isn't Truth" - Rudy Giuliani

Local Date
    10-21-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
    I believe all that are unwilling to return to the chain of life, should follow your advice and look outside the food chain for sustenance.
    On a point of information, algae are currently the predominant food on the planet by weight. Along with plankton they are the sole root of the food chain at sea, they support the entire biomass in that environment if you exclude the occasional mafia victim dropped off the back of a New Jersey launch. More tons of algae are produced and consumed naturally each year than all the cows, sheep, rolled oats and eggs put together.

Local Date
    10-21-2019
    Local Time

On a point of information, algae are currently the predominant food on the planet by weight. Along with plankton they are the sole root of the food chain at sea, they support the entire biomass in that environment if you exclude the occasional mafia victim dropped off the back of a New Jersey launch. More tons of algae are produced and consumed naturally each year than all the cows, sheep, rolled oats and eggs put together.
    So now we not only extricate ourselves from the food chain, we become competition with the entire food chain for sustenance?
    Next we will GM the algae and won't need all them other critters. (Which will be a good thing because now that we don't need them for food, we will just dispose of the competition altogether.)

We can then start terraforming. Tear down all the high mountains, dump the debris in the sea, flatten out the planet a bit, so we have more open shallow water in which to grow our GM algae.

I think this is about as close as I want to get to living off algae:

Recipe
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so." - Will Rogers

Local Date
    10-21-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
    So now we not only extricate ourselves from the food chain, we become competition with the entire food chain for sustenance?
    I think I started the thread with the premise that this stuff was to be grown in vats, not that we'd go out with superfine mesh nets and trawl the oceans.

As far as the natural environment's concerned I'd be pleased if it and those living in it had absolutely no contact whatever either with humans or with the consequence of any human activity, and that it occupied as close to the entire surface of the planet as possible while still allowing us a way on and off now and then.

Nobody else is using the inside, we're technologically capable of living in there, we'd not be taking up anything else's space, it's an ideal way forward. I estimate we could increase human numbers on the planet to ten thousand billion by building downward just within a two-mile belt and each of us end up with apartments ten times our current size, while leaving the surface entirely to the other life-forms.

Local Date
    10-21-2019
    Local Time

I think I started the thread with the premise that this stuff was to be grown in vats, not that we'd go out with superfine mesh nets and trawl the oceans.

As far as the natural environment's concerned I'd be pleased if it and those living in it had absolutely no contact whatever either with humans or with the consequence of any human activity, and that it occupied as close to the entire surface of the planet as possible while still allowing us a way on and off now and then.

Nobody else is using the inside, we're technologically capable of living in there, we'd not be taking up anything else's space, it's an ideal way forward. I estimate we could increase human numbers on the planet to ten thousand billion by building downward just within a two-mile belt and each of us end up with apartments ten times our current size, while leaving the surface entirely to the other life-forms.
    What's the temperature like two miles down?

Local Date
    10-21-2019
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryn Mawr View Post
    What's the temperature like two miles down?
    Rather warm, I hear

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast