Make these ads go away.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Are roads safer with no central white lines?

Local Date
    12-16-2019
    Local Time
    02:02 AM

Are roads safer with no central white lines?

To quote from the attached article , 'Absurd, barmy, crazy'

Are roads safer with no central white lines? - BBC News

The argument made by the proposers is that the traffic slows down therefore the roads are safer.

I would argue that the traffic slows down because the roads are less safe.

What say you?

Local Date
    12-15-2019
    Local Time
    09:02 PM

Re: Are roads safer with no central white lines?

I say what you say.

Local Date
    12-16-2019
    Local Time

Here in Cornwall you don't often see white lines...

Local Date
    12-16-2019
    Local Time
    03:02 AM

Major roads in places like India rarely have white lines. It seems to reinforce an idea you can use any part of the road at any time. I think statistics, or even a casual observation of Indian roads and it's traffic would maintain that dividing lines might facilitate a little order and therefore make it safer
    "He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."
    Winston Churchill

Local Date
    12-16-2019
    Local Time
    03:02 AM

Double white lines on dodgy corners are a life saver.
    I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth

Local Date
    12-16-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Betty Boop View Post
    Here in Cornwall you don't often see white lines...
    At ten foot wide with ten foot dry stone walls either side there's not much room for them :-p

Local Date
    12-16-2019
    Local Time

I drove round Marble Arch with no white lines once, a long time ago. I still remember.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

England's troubles will increase until the bishops open Joanna Southcott's box.
    It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

Local Date
    12-16-2019
    Local Time

I could see it working in towns but on rural roads at night I think they're essential just to se here the road is going plus they give an indication how sharp the bend is if you iknow what to look for which i suspect most people don't..

There's a country road I use every day with no white lines, one of those tyat are fun to drive fast on, it doesn't seem to slow down those dickheads cornering in the middle of the road forgetting there might be something coming. I've lost count of the number of times I've had to brake hoping they'll miss me. Once was involved in crash where the oncoming car went off the road demolishing 20 feet of fencing and writing his car off on the king post. Said it was my fault as he had to swerve to avoid me because I was in the middle of the road, which I was as it was a single track road with passing places. I mak it a rule to never swerve the car going too fast will usually swerve to avoid you I suspect because they know they'r going too fast.

On the other hand it might slow down all those 4x4 drivers that think the line is there for them to straddle so they can keep in the middle of the road.

Local Date
    12-16-2019
    Local Time

There was a short piece about it on last nights news discussion program where the "pro" interviewee said it was essential given to reduction in funding of the Police forces around the country.

I suspect that's more the point - cost saving for the councils.

Local Date
    12-16-2019
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    I understand the meaning behind it, but I think it would only be of any short term benefit as its only benefit at the moment is that people aren't used to it. Once people become accustomed to it, it won't make a damned bit of difference.

There is one road on the other side of town, though, that I feel ill at ease with, as it's wide enough for 2 x 2 lanes. Indeed, even when it comes to the traffic lights it's marked in 2 lanes each side. However, on the main run it is only marked with the single central lane. As a biker, my training has been to ride in the centre of my lane. However, from the lane markings I can't be certain if 'my lane' is between the edge of the road & the central lines, or some imaginary lane marking on each side. If I take the former view, then it would be like riding along the lane marker lines between the driving & overtaking lanes, and if I take the latter I'm constantly riding a little to the left of Zone 1 (lanes have 3 'zones' for bikers - Zone 1 for left turn, Zone 2 for general riding & Zone 3 for right turn). Either way, someone else is likely to have the opposite interpretation & is going to lead to frustration & road rage.

GoogleMaps Street View always makes roads look narrower than they actually are, but this view of the road demonstrates the approach to the traffic lights, where the markings are. From the positioning of the cars, and how the road even narrows at that point, you can see how wide the road really is.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.92...2!8i6656?hl=en

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast