Make these ads go away.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 34

Thread: Prom night

  1. #21
    Cardi Goddess!! Betty Boop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cornwall
    Posts
    15,386
    Local Date
    08-24-2019
    Local Time
    05:44 AM

    Re: Prom night

    Quote Originally Posted by Patsy Warnick View Post
    Wow

    I've always thought being Home Schooled kept the child from interacting with other students - & not being able to participate with all a public school offers.
    I don't think that separation is healthy.

    Patsy
    Sometimes they have to be separated from the other students and school atmosphere for the sake of their mental health. I spent years arguing and fighting with my daughter to get her to school everyday where she just felt lost. Gave up and took her out with a view to home schooling, wish I'd done it sooner. Didn't actually do a lot of schooling because mentally she was a mess so it became recovery and building confidence time. Then, eventually she wanted to learn and is turning it all around herself. She's studying alongside working full time now.
    She is a bit lacking in friends at the moment but then I think she would have anyway once she left school, not many of them were real friends they all dropped one another when boys came along and that's what happens. Eventually she'll form stronger friendships which will last.

    She missed her prom and though she used to talk about it dreamily, when it all came round I don't think she was actually too bothered by it.
    Proms are a relatively recent import from America, we'd have end of year discos ! More fun, less pressure to be wearing the best dress, sporting the best hair and having the best date etc. The last disco would just always end with the alarms being set off and kids running screaming like maniacs away from the school rejoicing the fact they'd never have to return

  2. #22
    Senior Member FourPart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    6,244
    Local Date
    08-24-2019
    Local Time
    05:44 AM

    Re: Prom night

    You also tend to find that those who opt to Home School their children are also Religious Zealots who want to indoctrinate their children from the earliest ages, without any external diversions who might get them to question the reality of things.

  3. #23
    Cardi Goddess!! Betty Boop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cornwall
    Posts
    15,386
    Local Date
    08-24-2019
    Local Time
    05:44 AM

    Re: Prom night

    Quote Originally Posted by FourPart View Post
    You also tend to find that those who opt to Home School their children are also Religious Zealots who want to indoctrinate their children from the earliest ages, without any external diversions who might get them to question the reality of things.

    wow lol have you proof for your sweeping statement, you've mixed with home schooling parents ?

  4. #24
    Proudly humble LarsMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    usually on the road to somewhere.
    Posts
    10,515
    Local Date
    08-23-2019
    Local Time
    10:44 PM

    Re: Prom night

    We have just received copies of the granddaughter's Prom pics, as well as those of my niece (sister's granddaughter) and her Prom date.
    The Tradition appears to be alive and well.
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so." - Will Rogers
    "Truth isn't Truth" - Rudy Giuliani

  5. #25
    Senior Member Patsy Warnick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Golf Course
    Posts
    4,566
    Local Date
    08-23-2019
    Local Time
    09:44 PM

    Re: Prom night

    all I know is there is no way in hell my mother would consider Home Schooling.. LOL LOL are you kidding me - she couldn't wait to get us & put us in that institution - all 6 of us..
    I started school at 4 yrs. old - kindergarden . Of course that's the 60's...

    We started kindergarden & continued with the area schools with all the same students/friends now & graduating with the same.

    Only 3 out of 6 of my siblings made a life for themselves. We were all raised the same - attended the same public schools and a few of the siblings went towards the drug avenue.
    Why - they attended their prom high. I had no idea.

    Maybe those siblings needed more attention - tutor - home study certainly it's all positive and only parents know the right path for their child.

    I say - raising kids is a crap shoot - you do your best & hope for the best.

    Patsy

  6. #26
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    9,734
    Local Date
    08-24-2019
    Local Time
    12:44 AM

    Re: Prom night

    Quote Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
    What would you expect to hear?

    Tribal behavior is what being a primate (with few exceptions) is all about. How to get along with the tribe/Clan/troop/neighborhood.
    Establishing one's place in the scheme and establishing social position, pecking order, and such. School being a function of that Social structure will tend to reflect the tribal functions. So the teachers and Administration, being the Dominate social class, will be expected to direct the activities and promote behavior that favors the social structure.

    Outsiders will naturally be put under a lot of stress to either prove themselves worthy of being admitted, or encouraged to keep on moving, and seek another tribe.

    The behavior can be seen in situations where new kids come into another school, any school, and when that other school was a home school situation, they may have never participated in the socialization process to start with. Pre-adolescent Children adapt a lot faster, but if they are still the outsider after adolescence has set in, it can be quite uncomfortable.
    I think the general consensus among people who study this is that humans are social animals to a large degree, but I would not conflate that with tribalism.

    Tribalism is a division within the social structure. Some people obviously believe it to be necessary, however, I don't see that as qualifying tribalism as a condition of the species.
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”
    Voltaire

    I have only one thing to do and that's
    Be the wave that I am and then
    Sink back into the ocean

    Fiona Apple

  7. #27
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    9,734
    Local Date
    08-24-2019
    Local Time
    12:44 AM

    Re: Prom night

    Quote Originally Posted by FourPart View Post
    You also tend to find that those who opt to Home School their children are also Religious Zealots who want to indoctrinate their children from the earliest ages, without any external diversions who might get them to question the reality of things.
    It is true that home-schooling is popular with religious people, and I agree that that is often due to and forwards religious indoctrination. That said, public education is also a form of indoctrination into the general conditioning of the culture.

    When we decided to offer home-schooling to our kids we were offering them a chance to sleep in a bit longer and wake up more slowly and naturally as well as a self-paced option to the curriculum along with the best form of guidance we could offer. Our now adult offspring who took up our offer of being homeschooled have thanked us often over the years for giving them the option.
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”
    Voltaire

    I have only one thing to do and that's
    Be the wave that I am and then
    Sink back into the ocean

    Fiona Apple

  8. #28
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    9,734
    Local Date
    08-24-2019
    Local Time
    12:44 AM

    Re: Prom night

    Quote Originally Posted by Patsy Warnick View Post
    all I know is there is no way in hell my mother would consider Home Schooling.. LOL LOL are you kidding me - she couldn't wait to get us & put us in that institution - all 6 of us.
    Those are the unfortunate consequences to both children and adults who live in a society where birth control is discouraged and blind obedience to the cultural structure is demanded by authority and followed by citizens. Conditions of tribalism.
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”
    Voltaire

    I have only one thing to do and that's
    Be the wave that I am and then
    Sink back into the ocean

    Fiona Apple

  9. #29
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    9,734
    Local Date
    08-24-2019
    Local Time
    12:44 AM

    Re: Prom night

    Quote Originally Posted by Betty Boop View Post
    Sometimes they have to be separated from the other students and school atmosphere for the sake of their mental health. I spent years arguing and fighting with my daughter to get her to school everyday where she just felt lost. Gave up and took her out with a view to home schooling, wish I'd done it sooner. Didn't actually do a lot of schooling because mentally she was a mess so it became recovery and building confidence time. Then, eventually she wanted to learn and is turning it all around herself. She's studying alongside working full time now.
    She is a bit lacking in friends at the moment but then I think she would have anyway once she left school, not many of them were real friends they all dropped one another when boys came along and that's what happens. Eventually she'll form stronger friendships which will last.

    She missed her prom and though she used to talk about it dreamily, when it all came round I don't think she was actually too bothered by it.
    Proms are a relatively recent import from America, we'd have end of year discos ! More fun, less pressure to be wearing the best dress, sporting the best hair and having the best date etc. The last disco would just always end with the alarms being set off and kids running screaming like maniacs away from the school rejoicing the fact they'd never have to return
    Comgratulations for becoming tuned into your daughter and being open-minded enough to consider alternative options for her. That sort of attitude is unselfish and nurturing. Your children are fortunate to have you as a mom.
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”
    Voltaire

    I have only one thing to do and that's
    Be the wave that I am and then
    Sink back into the ocean

    Fiona Apple

  10. #30
    Supporting Member spot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Brigstow
    Posts
    35,029
    Local Date
    08-24-2019
    Local Time
    05:44 AM

    Re: Prom night

    Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahso! View Post
    Tribalism is a division within the social structure. Some people obviously believe it to be necessary, however, I don't see that as qualifying tribalism as a condition of the species.
    Name me a society which doesn't rely on team sports for its adhesion.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

    The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

    It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts