Make these ads go away.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Apology

fuzzy butt

The Apology

A most prestegious historical moment in Australia today.!!!!!!!!!!

The wording of "the apology" is going to be read in Parliament for it's first sitting.
    I dare not speak of it around my own town because there's some pretty strong feelings against it here.

BUT I"M STOKED !!!!!!!!! i'll be watching it on telly and weeping like a baby

the one day in my life II wish I was in Canberra!!!

http://www.theage.com.au/

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sto...49-661,00.html

The Federal Government's formal apology to the stolen generations:

Today we honour the Indigenous peoples of this land, the oldest continuing cultures in human history.
    We reflect on their past mistreatment.

We reflect in particular on the mistreatment of those who were stolen generations – this blemished chapter in our nation's history.

The time has now come for the nation to turn a new page in Australia's history by righting the wrongs of the past and so moving forward with confidence to the future.

We apologise for the laws and policies of successive Parliaments and governments that have inflicted profound grief, suffering and loss on these our fellow Australians.

We apologise especially for the removal of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children from their families, their communities and their country.

For the pain, suffering and hurt of these stolen generations, their descendants and for their families left behind, we say sorry.

To the mothers and the fathers, the brothers and the sisters, for the breaking up of families and communities, we say sorry.

And for the indignity and degradation thus inflicted on a proud people and a proud culture, we say sorry.

We the Parliament of Australia respectfully request that this apology be received in the spirit in which it is offered as part of the healing of the nation.

For the future we take heart; resolving that this new page in the history of our great continent can now be written.

We today take this first step by acknowledging the past and laying claim to a future that embraces all Australians.

A future where this Parliament resolves that the injustices of the past must never, never happen again.

A future where we harness the determination of all Australians, Indigenous and non-Indigenous, to close the gap that lies between us in life expectancy, educational achievement and economic opportunity.

A future where we embrace the possibility of new solutions to enduring problems where old approaches have failed.

A future based on mutual respect, mutual resolve and mutual responsibility.

A future where all Australians, whatever their origins, are truly equal partners, with equal opportunities and with an equal stake in shaping the next chapter in the history of this great country, Australia.

HOORAY HOORAY HOORAY

Local Date
    11-23-2019
    Local Time
    07:57 AM

Re: The Apology

Feel The Same As You Fuzzy, Would Love To Be In Canberra Now But Will Be Stuck To The Tv At 9am

Supporting Member along-for-the-ride's Avatar
    Local Date
    11-22-2019
    Local Time
    03:57 PM

We could change some of the words in that speech here in the States..........for the Native American peoples.
    Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.

fuzzy butt

My non indigenous story:

I grew up in an area with a high percentage of indigenous Australians. I played on the streets with them they were my friends. Until one day I was persuaded not to play with them so much. I remember my dads exact words (the good christian soldier that he was /is ) "we don't want you taking on their ways"

<---------- I'm sure this was my face at the time. What ways?

Anyway, there were no aboriginal children at our school (even though the Catholic church apparently did so much for them in our area )

There are many stories but for now they are painful and I hope the apology today will cover them.

fuzzy butt

Seven minutes to go . i'm so excited!!!!!

I wonder if the british news will cross live over to it? hmmmmmmmmmm

Local Date
    11-22-2019
    Local Time
    08:57 PM

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzy butt View Post
    Seven minutes to go . i'm so excited!!!!!

I wonder if the british news will cross live over to it? hmmmmmmmmmm
    Missed it live but saw the later (brief) report

fuzzy butt

OMG

I have never seen so many tears (this is parliament we're talking about here)
    I have never seen standing ovations (this is parliament we're talking about here)
    I have never seen so many in agreeance (again this is parliament we're talking about here)

This trully is a day that the rest of the world should take note of ....and learn from .

Now lets make it so !!!!!

*and I'll stop crying now

fuzzy butt

It's not on youtube yet but the AGe has the actual apology itself on video

Local Date
    11-22-2019
    Local Time
    08:57 PM

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzy butt View Post
    It's not on youtube yet but the AGe has the actual apology itself on video

Very impressive it was too - far more so than the BBC's attempt to give it "balanced coverage".

fuzzy butt

Register to remove this ad.
    it was the actual words that everyone was waiting for .........."I am sorry " .........."We are sorry" .

SORRY!!!!!!! the preamble and the following speech was important to qualify what the opposition was stewing about but he has said the actual words .

I noticed Whitlam, Keating and Hawke present as well .

Never seen so many politicians tear up Even the speaker wiped his eyes a few times.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast