Make these ads go away.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Are we ready for a serious discussion about changing the Second Amendment?

Local Date
    05-29-2020
    Local Time
    11:32 PM

Are we ready for a serious discussion about changing the Second Amendment?

Quote Originally Posted by AnneBoleyn View Post
    It may take years upon years but if that is the only way, amending the second amendment should begin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Accountable View Post
    It is the supreme law of the land and there is a set procedure to change it to fit the times if necessary.
    Quote Originally Posted by AnneBoleyn View Post
    Change is never easy. Let the hard work begin.
    Quote Originally Posted by tude dog View Post
    If you believe we should amend the Constitution, go for it.
    I tried to start this discussion in another forum, but it fell apart. Are the Americans here willing to seriously discuss it?

We can discuss the original purpose, argue about whether it is a natural right, etc.
    Or we can discuss what to do about it:
    Should we keep dishonoring the rule of law and continue violating it as we have been?
    Should we remove the infringements that we've been imposing for generations (such as prohibiting machine guns)?
    Should we replace it with something more fitting to the times?
    Should we repeal it altogether? Disarm the nation? Leave it to the states to decide each for itself?

Who wants to take the first shot? hehehe.

Local Date
    05-29-2020
    Local Time

Re: Are we ready for a serious discussion about changing the Second Amendment?

No takers? None??

Okay how's this: Let's repeal the Second Amendment, leave each state to decide how they will handle the issue, and prohibit the federal gov't from interfering. Would you support that? I think I would.

Premium Member
    Local Date
    05-30-2020
    Local Time
    02:32 PM

It was the American federal law makers that made the constitution was it not? ...Isn't it them who should change it?

Local Date
    05-29-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzywuzzy View Post
    It was the American federal law makers that made the constitution was it not? ...Isn't it them who should change it?
    The federal gov't didn't exist before the Constitution. The Constitution established it. The process to change (amend) it is very difficult and convoluted, involving the federal legislators, but state legislators as well. It's set up so that nothing gets changed on a whim, but it sometimes seems to be too difficult to change.

Local Date
    05-29-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Accountable View Post
    No takers? None??

Okay how's this: Let's repeal the Second Amendment, leave each state to decide how they will handle the issue, and prohibit the federal gov't from interfering. Would you support that? I think I would.
    For all practical purposes that has been the practice, states and local jurisdictions ignoring the 2nd. Even since the Supreme Court decisions of Heller and McDonald, states and local jurisdictions pretty much do what they want.

Kinda like the 4th Amendment. Recently we saw what looked like para military police in Boston going door to door ordering people out of their homes, and why not? New York City has NYPD stop-and-frisk policy, 4.4 million detentions

I find it curious the 2nd and 4th don't enjoy the same popularity as the 5th. We all know the 5th, on every crime show, the "right to remain silent".
    “The best laid schemes o' Mice an' Men,
    Gang aft agley.
    An' lea'e us nought but grief an' pain,
    For promis'd joy!

Local Date
    05-29-2020
    Local Time

Weak Constitution - The Daily Show with Jon Stewart - 04/24/13 - Video Clip | Comedy Central

Jon Stewart doesn't get to your point until about 2:40 into the video, but the whole thing's entertaining.
    Yes, we've been bending & ignoring the Second since the day it was written, but none of the others are sacrosanct, either. It's really remarkable that our society has held together as long as it has, especially when you study history closely. Our strongest glue seems to be fear and denial. I suppose other societies are the same.

Local Date
    05-29-2020
    Local Time

So Saint, you've got time to come in and rail that "America's gun culture is outdated, outrageous, and out of control," but you're too cowardly to join in here? Why is that?

Local Date
    05-29-2020
    Local Time

My opinion.

The 2nd amendment needs to be changed so that it's not constantly being broken. They need to amend so that nukes, tanks, assault weapons (whatever that may be) can be outlawed without infringing on the right to bear arms. Maybe just allow "sporting" weapons ie. shotguns, deer rifles and pistols with low capacity clips. I'm sure no matter what is considered or not considered there will be upset people.

Local Date
    05-29-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by YZGI View Post
    My opinion.

The 2nd amendment needs to be changed so that it's not constantly being broken.
    Exactly. At least that way we're honoring the rule of law.

They need to amend so that nukes, tanks, assault weapons (whatever that may be) can be outlawed without infringing on the right to bear arms. Maybe just allow "sporting" weapons ie. shotguns, deer rifles and pistols with low capacity clips.
    To narrow that down we need to agree on the purpose of the amendment. What was the original ... What do we want it to be ... like that.

I'm sure no matter what is considered or not considered there will be upset people.
    That's for sure.

Local Date
    05-29-2020
    Local Time
    08:32 PM

Register to remove this ad.
    I kept hoping that the Supreme Court would at least come up with a reasonable definition of what constitutes a "well regulated militia", but I can see that it goes deeper than that. I agree that it is time to rewrite it to remove all ambiguity and to specify the purpose well enough that future courts can work with it when technology creates new weapons that would seem to blur the lines.

Unfortunately, I see virtually zero possibility of a rewrite being seriously discussed in today's political climate.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast