Make these ads go away.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Does Bush really deserve all the bad press?

Local Date
    02-19-2020
    Local Time
    02:25 PM

Does Bush really deserve all the bad press?

I will say right out that I don't like Bush as a politician, he's probably an O.K. guy personally, but i will get that straight right off. But I was watching an interesting piece on Bush and antiamericanism in general on British T.V. and it made some very interesting points. One (which I think is true) is that for some reason there is something about George that just drives us Europeans mad, its his manner or something and interestingly enough Clinton was quite popular over here, maybe we just like the democrats cause they pretend to be nice to foreigners.

However, it was put forward that what we see as his weaknesses- like being too folksy, too religious, and doing the sort of "everyman, homer simpson" routine- many ordinary Americans connect with quite deeply and this has conributed to his not unconsiderable success as a politician. The main point is that we miss the substance of Bush because of his manner, and to be frank his problems when it comes to public speaking. So I was just wondering what other people from both sides of the atlantic think, not about his policies now (we all know how that argument is going to go), just the way he goes on himself. I suppose the alternate is how European politicians appear to Americans, though I expect the general concensus would be like a shower of shifty sissies. Ah well what can you do?.

SnoozeControl

Re: Does Bush really deserve all the bad press?

I think the only other politician that rivaled George Dubya for funny quotes was Dan Quayle.

GWB mannerisms and appearance annoy me also.

Starting Over in 2007! LilacDragon's Avatar
    Local Date
    02-19-2020
    Local Time
    09:25 AM

I have never and will never vote for a member of the Bush family. IMHO - YES, he deserves all the bad press.

Local Date
    02-19-2020
    Local Time
    08:25 AM

He has an annoying habit of grinning when he's under stress or is frustrated others don't get what he's talking about. It's apalling to see "thousands have died in this catastrophe." *grin* "Every day I think about Iraq ... every - day." *grin* etc.

I know he doesn't mean for it to come off this way, but it still annoys the **** out of me.

SnoozeControl

Quote Originally Posted by Accountable
    He has an annoying habit of grinning when he's under stress or is frustrated others don't get what he's talking about. It's apalling to see "thousands have died in this catastrophe." *grin* "Every day I think about Iraq ... every - day." *grin* etc.

I know he doesn't mean for it to come off this way, but it still annoys the **** out of me.
    Chimps have that same mannerism.

Local Date
    02-19-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by SnoozeControl
    Chimps have that same mannerism.

flopstock

The worst thing about having 'the grin', is that you can't control it...

I have always gotten the best pictures from my kids by telling them 'whatever else you do...DO NOT smile'...they can't help it, they smile

Local Date
    02-19-2020
    Local Time
    09:25 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Galbally
    I will say right out that I don't like Bush as a politician, he's probably an O.K. guy personally, but i will get that straight right off. But I was watching an interesting piece on Bush and antiamericanism in general on British T.V. and it made some very interesting points. One (which I think is true) is that for some reason there is something about George that just drives us Europeans mad, its his manner or something and interestingly enough Clinton was quite popular over here, maybe we just like the democrats cause they pretend to be nice to foreigners.

However, it was put forward that what we see as his weaknesses- like being too folksy, too religious, and doing the sort of "everyman, homer simpson" routine- many ordinary Americans connect with quite deeply and this has conributed to his not unconsiderable success as a politician. The main point is that we miss the substance of Bush because of his manner, and to be frank his problems when it comes to public speaking. So I was just wondering what other people from both sides of the atlantic think, not about his policies now (we all know how that argument is going to go), just the way he goes on himself. I suppose the alternate is how European politicians appear to Americans, though I expect the general concensus would be like a shower of shifty sissies. Ah well what can you do?.

Interesting points.

Prince Charles was on 60 Minutes here last week. They mentioned that previous Crown Princes have historically been "layabouts and playboys". They then went on to list this Prince's resume, where he is genuinely trying to do things with a largely ceremonial position that will make the world a little better.

I came away from that interview with a very different take on the guy. For the first time, I saw a good person, not some stiff icon, who cares deeply about humanity. Did I get that wrong???

As for our guy, he has a 39% approval rating. A recent poll showed that if an election were held today 2 out of 10 would vote for him. 1 of 10 Black people support him.

He connects with a very small, but highly organized minority. He was reelected with the smallest margin of victory in history for a sitting president during wartime.

He has galvinized public opinion and driven a wedge between us that hasn't been experienced since the civil war.

His "folksy" manner is seen by most as superficial, and he is seen as the arrogant, disconnected, weak, rich kid who's had everything handed to him. He's been a failure at everything he's ever done, and he's failing monumentally now. His families' total disregard for those less fortunate was recently manifested by comments his mother made in the wake of hurricane Katrina, that got played ad nauseum on TV.

What happened here was that some very clever marketers sold an image, pushing the fear/security hot buttons to perfection.

Shame on us for buying it.

Far Rider

History will tell if his annoying ways paid off... 10-30 years is what it takes sometimes and in hindsight we'll see the benifits of his administration.

In comparison, as far as his mannerisms go, Clinton was a fake and a phoney from day one. I could see right through his painted on political smile and saw the lying gap and swinging door in his teeth.

My mind was made up to vote for bush in the first election because of one single event... during a TV press conference...as a reporter that annoyed him approached he leaned into his right hand man and said .."oh no here he comes..."that man is a major league aaaaa$$$hole...."

To me GWB just became a real man. Everyday and normal.

Now since then I have of course changed my opinion, somethings I hate about him and some I like.

To me as an American I need to identify with my leader. Maybe im a goofy cowboy, like he is. but like him ya won't get away with saying it to my face.

Local Date
    02-19-2020
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    Personally I don't like him.. and he is not exactly a fantastic leader..
    but polls are created so the results can be spun the way you want them.. it just depends on which point of view you want to emphasis..
    As far as driving a wedge.. both parties are gulity of partisan politics.. the era of bipartisanship and working for the good of the people disappeared long ago. Neither party is innocent in this issue..
    and face it. .Politics and campaigns are marketing.. no matter what party you support.. Politicians are handled, told what to say, when to smile, and when they lose.. are told who to blame..
    Feed your spirit by living near it -- Magic Hat Brewery bottle cap

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast