Make these ads go away.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Marijuana

burntandbleeding

Marijuana

Marijuana is not a drug in my mind. I think it should be legalized and controlled. If we could just all get a bong, life would go smoothly. It can open up levels of spiritualality that are otherwise unattainable. As long as it is not abused, weed can make life in general much more interesting, as well as make you think more. Just don't abuse it.

Sonoma County, California, United States of America
    Local Date
    12-14-2019
    Local Time
    08:59 AM

Re: Marijuana

i generally agree.

i last smoked pot in my early 20's. i'm in my mid-forties now. i tried many, many other drugs besides pot. not a few that i'm sure few here have ever heard of. i didn't 'start' with pot and graduate to other drugs, contrary to the silly scare tactic always bandied about. but you name it, i've tried it, at least once.

the only part i disagree with is 'legalizing' it - and it's really just me splitting hairs. legalizing it would mean that anyone could use it, at any time, at any age. if pot were legalized, that means that a five year old could smoke it, and you could mount a bong in your car. what's needed is to decriminalize it. decriminalizing means that use by those under the age of consent that's decided upon - 15, 18, 21 - could not partake, not legally. adults however could partake, so long as they didn't abuse it - and by abuse, that means driving while under the influence, deep frying a turkey while under the influence, etc - any activity where the fact that one's perception is altered can put you and others at risk of harm.

like i said, i'm essentially splitting hairs, as it's pretty clear that's what you mean. but the distinction between legalized and decriminalized is significant and important.

mind altering drugs have been used by humans since prehistoric times. prohibitions on what are entirely normal, human tendencies are unfortunate - at least when those prohibitions extend beyond 'do no harm'. lock a kid up for fifteen years for possessing an ounce of weed? this is justice? (need i add the counterpoint - serial rapists and murderers who get fifteen years also - and get out on 'good behavior' after seven, only to recommit their favorite crimes - this is justice?)

Local Date
    12-14-2019
    Local Time
    07:29 PM

I'd like the lot to be legitimised. My scenario would be if you want to take it,
    fine, you can. Anything you want. However, mis-deeds carried out "under
    the influence" would be heavily peanalised - no excuses (like the drunken
    person claiming "I did not know what I was doing!"). Half the reason people
    get into illegal substances is that they are forbidden. A great deal of crime is
    carried out by people who want money to pay for their expensive illegal
    substances. Legitamising the lot would, at a stroke, get rid of one reason
    for using these things, and rid us of a major cause of crime.

jaycee

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Sikes
    I'd like the lot to be legitimised. My scenario would be if you want to take it,
    fine, you can. Anything you want. However, mis-deeds carried out "under
    the influence" would be heavily peanalised - no excuses (like the drunken
    person claiming "I did not know what I was doing!"). Half the reason people
    get into illegal substances is that they are forbidden. A great deal of crime is
    carried out by people who want money to pay for their expensive illegal
    substances. Legitamising the lot would, at a stroke, get rid of one reason
    for using these things, and rid us of a major cause of crime.

I do agree with most of what you say. We do have addictive, socially acceptable drugs within society - alcohol & tobacco - so what is it about the rest of them that means they have to be illegal & alcohol & tobacco don't? That's the logical part of me but I will say I have very little knowledge about drugs.

However the thought of legalising say heroin scares the bejeesus out of me - I don't know why - ignorance possibly or brainwashing from the media but it seriously disturbs me to think about that prospect.

Local Date
    12-14-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by jaycee
    However the thought of legalising say heroin scares the bejeesus out of me - I don't know why - ignorance possibly or brainwashing from the media but it seriously disturbs me to think about that prospect.
    the funny thing is, heroin - the pure drug, obviously, not adulterated street stuff - is one of the safest drugs known to man. The *only* negative side-effect of long term usage is constipation. That's it. In those countries where heroin is legal (but regulated), you cannot tell a heroin addict from the guy in the next cubicle. people function normally, by and large.

it's the adulterants in the street drug that cause the panoply of terrible side-effects and disease. legalize and regulate it, and the profit motive goes away, so there's no street drug, no adulterants, and the damage to society becomes virtually non-existent.

this does not apply to many other drugs though, obviously. speed in its many forms will eventually burn-out the user, causing terrible health problems. crack cocaine is so insanely habituating that nothing else in life matters beyond getting to that high spot you had at the first puff (i know, i tried it).

then, of course, there's alcohol. talk about your panoply of side-effects. yikes. and i can get that at the corner grocery for just a few bucks!

channidae

It should definately be "decriminalized" as Anastrophe said... age restriction 18 or 21 or whatever, with the same or similar penalties as alcohol misuse...
    The taxes alone are a fantastic reason to do so, the money from the taxes could be used for so many good things, it would offer more jobs and lets face it on a scale of one to ten of this nations problems people smoking pot rates -27 on the list.
    It is ridiculous the number of people I know who have been and/or could get into deep **** cuz of pot, who are otherwise good people, upstanding citizens, hard workers... you get the pic.
    I think it is a waste of time and (my) tax dollars to be prosecuting John or Jane Doe to the full extent of the law for the posession of marijuana when this city has so many problems more important, like gang violence, unusually high number of high school drop outs, high car theft rate, the fact that the downtown is about to sink into the James River, completely understaffed and overworked police force, one of the highest per capita murder rates in the country.... do I need to keep going....?

Local Date
    12-14-2019
    Local Time
    07:29 PM

Quote Originally Posted by channidae
    It should definately be "decriminalized" as Anastrophe said... age restriction 18 or 21 or whatever, with the same or similar penalties as alcohol misuse...
    It hasn't been prohibited in the U.S.A. for very long, anyway.... I can't
    help wondering how much crime was committed in tose days due to
    the availability of cannabis.....

Local Date
    12-14-2019
    Local Time
    07:59 AM

Thumbs down Re: Marijuana

My experience dealing with people using pot and apply for a job at my business is this: #1. i know you are a stone head...limited ability in all areas. #2. they cannot get out of bed, #3. habitual pot smokers have a permanent disability-socially. #4. if you flunk the drug test and have an accident working for me, I am out of a living. (period). if your life is about - repetition, or working with others who burn, stay there. i don't think its good after too many years, way back when okay, but now, no-way....

Local Date
    12-14-2019
    Local Time

and for a counterpoint:

a friend and roommate of mine back in my mid-twenties was a big pot smoker. he smoked pot any opportunity he could.

smoked pot all through college - UC Berkeley; Degree in forestry. later, got a teaching credential, and was a high school teacher for several years. very well regarded and respected. the pot never interfered with his teaching abilities. later he decided to pursue post-graduate work in veterinary medicine, and now has a Phd in same. smoked pot through all that too.

currently he's back teaching high school.

channidae

Register to remove this ad.
    A dear friend of mine has PhD's in medicine, engineering, psychology and a degree in automotive repair (his hobby). He's well respected in his mainfield, has been used as an expert witness in large high-profile civil suits on multiple occasions and worked for major pharmasutical (sp?) companies...... he also has smoke pot for the past 30 years, and can hold better conversations on all types of topics than anyone I know.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast