Make these ads go away.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Valerie or BR I need you. 2.

ArnoldLayne

Valerie or BR I need you. 2.

As you are aware Sam my very old collie cross is 20 this month and coming to the end of his life. He has many ailments, heart murmur, cancer of the testes, bad trouble with arthritis, deafness, cataracts and general confusion due to I think some sort of balance problem bought on by a stroke( he tends to stumble round one way )

Well, to get to my point, he has had a cough for quite a while but now its developing into a bit of a wheeze and is more regular. Poor old Sam is still content and is not ready to go just yet but if you can recommend anything to make him more comfortable, we'd be grateful

Local Date
    11-13-2019
    Local Time
    07:42 AM

Re: Valerie or BR I need you. 2.

I'm so sorry to hear that. BR might have more experience as far as if
    there's a drug regimen for him, but I would venture to guess that his
    organs are failing, and his heart just isn't clearing the fluid out of his
    lungs very well.

Sometimes steroids help with that, but sometimes the very best thing
    and the most loving thing you can do is to let him go.

I would definitely ask your vet.

My thoughts are with you and dear Sam.

Tamsen's Dogster Page
    http://www.dogster.com/?27525

ArnoldLayne

Thanks Valerie. Sam sleeps a lot obviously and he still seems bright and alert when awake. Its a difficult decision to make to let him go but the vet 2 weeks ago said he wasnt ready yet but that we would know when that time is

Local Date
    11-13-2019
    Local Time
    10:42 AM

Hi Arnold. Sorry to hear about Sam. I'd imagine that your vet has given or suggested every type of drug to make him as comfortable as possible, but let's make sure: Rimadyl is a fantastic "old-dog" drug, used to manage pain from arthritis. It's great stuff but I have no idea if it's available across the pond. Have your vet check it out online if it's not. The steroids also can help, but obviously nothing will prevent the inevitable, I'm sorry to say.
    Remember this: take three things that Sam loves to do. Whatever his 3 favorites are whether it's meals, a toy, a walk, seeing you or your wife, whatever they are. When he no longer apparently enjoys those 3 things, then it's time to let him go. You'll know.
    Also remember that you have given a dog a wonderful life and the fact that he's been around 20 years attests to that. You must be wonderful "parents" to him. Give that big fuzzy collie a hug from me.
    I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
    ~Darrel Worley~

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

ArnoldLayne

Thanks BR thats great, I'll speak to the vet of course

Thing is Im not sure of any pain he may be in just his inability to get up or stand due to a lot of muscle wastage. His appetite is still very good but we cant give him anything else but proprietry dog food cos it upsets the system. His doggy treats that he still demands have to be soaked in warm water cos his teeth are shot to bits.

He isnt in any distress thank goodness. Even with cataracts you can tell by the way he looks at you that he seems happy

Local Date
    11-13-2019
    Local Time
    10:42 AM

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by ArnoldLayne
    Even with cataracts you can tell by the way he looks at you that he seems happy
    Of course you can. He's been your companion for 20 years, you should be able to read his expressions well enough by now!

Ask your vet about the Rimadyl anyway, see what he says. I've seen very old, stiff, painful dogs regain 85% of their mobility and more from this stuff. It comes very highly reccommended.
    I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
    ~Darrel Worley~

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

+ Reply to Thread