Make these ads go away.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Intelligent Design - yea or nay?

Starting Over in 2007! LilacDragon's Avatar
    Local Date
    01-28-2020
    Local Time
    08:58 AM

Intelligent Design - yea or nay?

OK. So a judge ruled that Intelligent Design can not be taught in PA. public school biology class.

OK. I am not dumb - I understand the whole seperation of Church and State thing. I have stated before that while I am not religious, I believe in God.

It seems to me that the purpose of our schools is to teach our children things. I honestly believe that teaching Intelligent Design next to the theory of evolution gives our children a better, more rounded education.

I also think that high school students should have to take a world religions class. Explaining the beliefs of different cultures/religions can only help our young people to be better people. In this melting pot known as the United States of America - having a basic understanding of different religions would help the next generation be more understand of people of other religions.

It also seems to me like PUBLIC schools are just that - PUBLIC. Not GOVERNMENT schools.

Local Date
    01-28-2020
    Local Time
    07:58 AM

Re: Intelligent Design - yea or nay?

And what (not to mention WHO) determines which religions and which aspects of those religions are taught? When a decision is reached, how many other religions will come forward and gripe about being left out? Sounds like a recipe for lots of offense to be taken or inferred.
    I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
    ~Darrel Worley~

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

Local Date
    01-28-2020
    Local Time

I think the school boards would get bent out of shape if teachers stressed too strongly that the theory of evolution is a Theory, not fact.

Notice how it becomes a national issue even though each state is supposed to control its own schools? Hmmm

Local Date
    01-28-2020
    Local Time

In this day and age, people are offended at the drop of a dime, so I don't think that a world's religions class in high school will ever happen.

As for which religions would be included in that class - I was just thinking of the major ones - Christianity, Muslim, Buddists and I am sure there are others.

I would be interested to know if religions, if any, are taught in Japan and other countries that continually pump out kids that are more educated then those that graduate from the public school systems in the U.S.

I think, therefore I post chonsigirl's Avatar
    Local Date
    01-28-2020
    Local Time

I know as a social studies teacher, we have a unit on 3 religions: Christianity, Islam and Judaism. Someone always gets offended when I teach one of them, no matter how politically correct we are.
    When I taugh science, I taught Creationism, as well as evolution. I was never told anything negative about that though.

Local Date
    01-28-2020
    Local Time
    01:58 PM

In a word nea, nea and nea again! I think you could teach creationism in a religion class dealing with the belief of fundamentalist Christians, but not in a science class, because put simply creationism and the intelligent design thing are not about science they are about religion, and that should be stressed very vigourously. Well, I for one am delighted at this latest ruling, as it seems at last that someone in authority in the states is standing up for science and rationalism, and that can only be a good thing in my opinion.

Local Date
    01-28-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Galbally
    In a word nea, nea and nea again! I think you could teach creationism in a religion class dealing with the belief of fundamentalist Christians, but not in a science class, because put simply creationism and the intelligent design thing are not about science they are about religion, and that should be stressed very vigourously. Well, I for one am delighted at this latest ruling, as it seems at last that someone in authority in the states is standing up for science and rationalism, and that can only be a good thing in my opinion.
    I hate to break it to ya, but creationism isn't exclusive to fundamentalist Christians. What is the harm you see in telling students that some people don't believe the theory of evolution is correct?

Local Date
    01-28-2020
    Local Time

Is there a religion that doesn't think that man was created by a "supreme being"?

I really do think that teaching our children both theories is a good thing. How in the world can our children be harmed by learning more? NO, it is not the schools place to indoctinate my child into a religion, but teaching him/her that there is more then one way to think about things can do nothing but good.

Local Date
    01-28-2020
    Local Time
    02:58 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Accountable
    1. I hate to break it to ya, but creationism isn't exclusive to fundamentalist Christians.

2. What is the harm you see in telling students that some people don't believe the theory of evolution is correct?
    1. I don't believe you are correct here. Who else promotes such nonsense? Fundamentalist Muslims? Perhaps.

2. That species evolve into other species over time is a FACT. There are various THEORIES (not 'THE theory'), as to exactly how this occurs.

Quote Originally Posted by LilacDragon
    1. Is there a religion that doesn't think that man was created by a "supreme being"?

2. I really do think that teaching our children both theories is a good thing.

3. How in the world can our children be harmed by learning more?

4. NO, it is not the schools place to indoctinate my child into a religion...
    1. Yes, there are quite a few. Unitarianism, Confucianism, Ethical Culture, and several others.

2. The point is, Lil, the proponents of ID are attempting to present it as SCIENCE, and it is not science, it is religion pure and simple. Hence, they are liars. Since they lie about their own motivation, how can they be expected to tell the truth about matters of scientific fact? No one is suggesting that ID should not be taught as religion; in fact, I personally believe in intelligent design. I believe it as a matter of religious faith, but not as science, nor is there the least doubt in my mind that the universe is many billions of years old and the plant and animal species have been evolving for several billions of those years, things that many proponents of ID deny.

3. They can't, but matters of fact should be taught as fact, matters of faith as religion. That is the central issue here.

4. Here we agree completely!

Local Date
    01-28-2020
    Local Time
    01:58 PM

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Accountable
    I hate to break it to ya, but creationism isn't exclusive to fundamentalist Christians. What is the harm you see in telling students that some people don't believe the theory of evolution is correct?

I agree that creationism is not an exclusively Christian idea, though it is a very popular idea with certain protestant christian sects at the moment. My real point is that creationism or intelligent design should not be taught as part of a scientific curriculum as these are fundametally not scientific ideas, they are religious ones and should be taught as part of religious studies, to which I have no objection at all. I just don't think that the 2 ideas of science and religion shoud be confused or taught as if they are similar, they are not.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast