Make these ads go away.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: WOW! and what a ride it was.....:(

Local Date
    01-28-2020
    Local Time
    12:49 PM

WOW! and what a ride it was.....:(

I have never seen so much panic in my life when it comes to saving thousands of patients from this storm..What a mess...It was just unbelievable..One lady told me -that if she lived through the storm she could live through treatment.It was a hell of a couple hours...The hospital and the college sit on the same area. Our brand new stadium for the Iowa Hawkeyes was damaged also...The trees and the power lines are down..So sad...I am on my way home to see the kids!! They let us out of all our afternoon doctors appointments--still had to have the poison but now I am going HOME!!!

Three Iowa counties hit hard by last night's storms are now under a state emergency. Governor Tom Vilsack's office issued a state emergency covering Johnson, Jones and Muscatine counties.
    Bret Voorhees is with the Iowa Homeland Security and Emergency Management Division. He says Homeland Security teams are enroute to hard-hit Iowa City to assess the damage.
    Iowa Army National Guard soldiers have also been sent to the area to help local law enforcement.
    One person died Thursday night after a series of tornadoes ripped through eastern Iowa. The first storm death in five years happened in the Muscatine County town of Nichols. A tornado toppled the victim's mobile home. Authorities would not release the person's name.
    The tornadoes left some neighborhoods in disarray as heavy winds and hail destroyed cars, crushed homes and cut off power to thousands of people.. The National Weather Service reported tornadoes in Linn, Johnson, Tama and Muscatine. One tornado hit the University of Iowa. School officials cancelled today's classes.
    Iowa City was one of the hardest hit areas. The storms first hit Highway 1 and damaged several car dealerships. One dealer says he suffered $500,000 in damages. The Menards store also suffered severe roof damage. Several Dairy Queen workers took shelter when the storm hit there. Workers say they were surprised when they emerged from cover.
    Also in Iowa City, about 70 church goers took cover when the storms hit during services. The church deacon at St. Patrick's Church told people to get to safety when he heard the sirens. Fortunately no one inside was hurt. But, for many people, the storm left them without a place to live. At Iowa City High, the Red Cross set up an emergency shelter for those with nowhere to go. Many college students were also shocked by the storms. Several said they didn't know what to do having never been in a tornado before. Some said they took cover in bathrooms as they heard the windows in their building shatter.
    Another tornado was spotted near County Home Road in Linn County. A KWWL news team said a barn was destroyed. They also report that the wind tore trees down and blew out windows. There are also reports of trees and power lines down across Linn County.
    The National Weather Service is sending out assessment teams today to assess the damage from the storms and determine how many and how strong the tornadoes were that rolled across eastern Iowa.

~~The Family~~
    Happiness is knowing where you come from...
    Who you are...
    And why you are here.....

Local Date
    01-28-2020
    Local Time
    12:49 PM

Re: WOW! and what a ride it was.....:(

i'm glad you're alright Mom, and i hope you and your family have a wonderful Easter!

Local Date
    01-28-2020
    Local Time
    05:49 PM

Thank goodness you're OK...wow...we don't have storms like that over here. have a good time with the kids.. bez
    A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home

SnoozeControl

Jeez, I'm out of touch with current events, this is all news to me.

Hope everyone's okay, Mom. At least something good came of all this... more time with your family. Have a happy Easter weekend.

Local Date
    01-29-2020
    Local Time
    03:49 AM

How terrifying Mom. Glad your family's all right. Have a gentle Easter Weekend... Sending hugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LIFE IS SHORT...LIVE HARD Nomad's Avatar
    Local Date
    01-28-2020
    Local Time
    11:49 AM

Get out of that corn hellhole while you still can !!!
    I AM AWESOME MAN

JAB

Glad you're alright mom! I had heard about this storm but wasn't sure how close you were to it.

Local Date
    01-28-2020
    Local Time
    06:49 PM

Register to remove this ad.
    I'm so glad you're safe Mom and thrilled you're going home to spend Easter with your kids! Knowing that is just the best Easter present ever!
    Thankyou for your wonderful email and I hope you have a perfect Easter with your family! With all my love and the biggest of big hugs! M. xxx

+ Reply to Thread