Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: "Boycott Da Vinci Code film" - top Vatican official

Local Date
    01-25-2020
    Local Time
    08:27 PM

"Boycott Da Vinci Code film" - top Vatican official

http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=638772006

Never learn do they? If you want to ensure the success of a film try and persuade people not to go see it. You would think they would welcome anything that generates an interest in religon at all.

Local Date
    01-25-2020
    Local Time
    09:27 PM

Re: "Boycott Da Vinci Code film" - top Vatican official

Quote Originally Posted by gmc
    http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=638772006

Never learn do they? If you want to ensure the success of a film try and persuade people not to go see it. You would think they would welcome anything that generates an interest in religon at all.
    Sadly, I think the Vatican are too narrow-minded to see it that way, gmc. They are too blinkered to see the wider implications!

Diuretic

I have to admit I didn't read the book. Years ago I read Holy Blood, Holy Grail and apart from reading about gnostics not much of it impressed me. I though it was good speculation but that was about it. And I don't even have any particular theological knowledge and I'm not a religious person so I wasn't anti their thesis on religious grounds. It just seemed a load of bunkum. So when the Da Vinci Code came out I just ignored it. More of the same. Then I started reading about the industry it created, people travelling to places to unravel the "mystery". Fair enough, up to them and since I haven't read the book I won't bother to see the film.

But boycotts do attract a backlash, some will see it just to spite the boycott.

sixyearsleft

It goes to show you that ppl really deeply feel untrustworthy about there lives and there beliefs, it's a powerfull concept, not is all that it seams and you know it.

I think, therefore I post chonsigirl's Avatar
    Local Date
    01-25-2020
    Local Time
    03:27 PM

At least they didn't say boycott the popcorn....................

Pinky

I think people might have more respect for the Vatican if they didn`t react in such a way as this, after all it`s a film!
    You didn`t find other faiths boycotting `The Passion Of The Christ` did ya?

Local Date
    01-25-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Diuretic
    I have to admit I didn't read the book. Years ago I read Holy Blood, Holy Grail and apart from reading about gnostics not much of it impressed me. I though it was good speculation but that was about it. And I don't even have any particular theological knowledge and I'm not a religious person so I wasn't anti their thesis on religious grounds. It just seemed a load of bunkum. So when the Da Vinci Code came out I just ignored it. More of the same. Then I started reading about the industry it created, people travelling to places to unravel the "mystery". Fair enough, up to them and since I haven't read the book I won't bother to see the film.

But boycotts do attract a backlash, some will see it just to spite the boycott.

I've read a couple of his books including the Da Vinci Code. Pulp fiction kind of writer instantly forgettable I borrowed a copy as like you it's not normally the type of book bother with.

Real life is always more unbelieveable than anything you can dream up-just look in to the borgia or medici popes to see what I mean.

Personally i don't see why JC wouldn't have been married but since I'm not particularly religious the idea doesn't raise any fundamental issues to worry about.

Local Date
    01-25-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by chonsigirl
    At least they didn't say boycott the popcorn....................
    A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home

Local Date
    01-25-2020
    Local Time
    10:27 PM

We discussed this briefly on another thread.

1. The cardinal is speaking only for himself and has the same right to his opinion as anyone.

2. To my knoweldge, Brown has never presented his book as anything but fiction. I can understand Opus Dei asking for a disclaimer because there are a lot of stupid people in the world who don't seem to understand the difference between fact and fiction, and the Card himself seems to acknowledge this:
    ...what he called "the extreme cultural poverty on the part of a good number of the Christian faithful."
    There may even be some people like that in the Vatican.

3. Nearly all of Brown's basic plot is adapted from earlier sources, some recent, some going all the way back to the Gnostics.

4. I haven't read the book but will probably see the film.
    Quote Originally Posted by gmc
    Personally i don't see why JC wouldn't have been married...
    You have a point in that unmarried rabbis were virtually unheard of then as now. Jesus Christ was, however, apparently the rare exception because there is absolutely NOTHING in either Church or secular history to suggest that He married, and in order to make such an assertion an author has to embrace the 'everything's part of a vast conspiracy' mindset. Once embraced, of course, that can be used to 'prove' almost anything.

Local Date
    01-25-2020
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    posted by bronwen
    You have a point in that unmarried rabbis were virtually unheard of then as now. Jesus Christ was, however, apparently the rare exception because there is absolutely NOTHING in either Church or secular history to suggest that He married, and in order to make such an assertion an author has to embrace the 'everything's part of a vast conspiracy' mindset. Once embraced, of course, that can be used to 'prove' almost anything.
    Rabbi! You mean he wasn't a carpenter after all?

I can understand Opus Dei asking for a disclaimer because there are a lot of stupid people in the world who don't seem to understand the difference between fact and fiction, and the Card himself seems to acknowledge this:
    So that would explain religious belief then (sorry couldn't resist, just pulling your leg)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast