Make these ads go away.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dog who longed for puppies nurses kittens

Local Date
    12-05-2019
    Local Time
    11:44 PM

Dog who longed for puppies nurses kittens

A Shih Tzu who, her owners say, longed for years to give birth — even to the point of going into false labor several times — finally is getting a chance to nurse some little ones: two stray kittens.
    Owners Jean and Bill Schirf said the dog, named Geisha Girl, used to take a toy dog, wrap herself around it in her basket and mother it for a week or two.

Now she's doing the same thing with the kittens that Jean Schirf found two weeks ago in the woods behind her Cass County home just north of the Indiana border. The cats — a gray male and a gray-and-white female — appeared to be no more than 2 weeks old at the time, she said.

"She wraps herself around them all night long," Schirf told the South Bend (Ind.) Tribune for a story published Tuesday.

Not only did Geisha Girl start watching over and cleaning the kittens, which have been named Dilly and Dally, she started lactating within about a week — enough to provide them with some of the milk they need. Schirf helps out by bottle-feeding the cats 2% milk every four or five hours.

See the photos and read the article here

Jack Sprat

Re: Dog who longed for puppies nurses kittens

Quote Originally Posted by >>^..^<<
    Not only did Geisha Girl start watching over and cleaning the kittens, which have been named Dilly and Dally, she started lactating within about a week — enough to provide them with some of the milk they need. Schirf helps out by bottle-feeding the cats 2% milk every four or five hours.
    Just finished reading about that in my local newspaper. In 1977 a car hit my son’s cat and I immediately went to our vet to get a "replacement." The vet knew of a kitten that looked just like our first cat, around 8 weeks old. I went to the farm and the owner showed me a dog. I asked about the kitten. She told me to watch the dog. Around two minutes later, out from the belly-fur of the dog crawled what would soon become the center of our life, George Morris Kitten II. The mother cat had too many kittens and refused to nurse several of them. The dog had just weaned her pups and was happy to take on the two outcaste kittens.

Local Date
    12-05-2019
    Local Time

Hi there Jack

I love hearing about stories like this... our English Setter 'Ambush' nursed our kitten 'Smudge'... it was the sweetest thing. The kitten always went to the same nipple so after a couple of months... Ambush had this big 2 inch one LOL.

~ Ambush & Smudge ~

Jack Sprat

Quote Originally Posted by >>^..^<<
    'Ambush' nursed our kitten 'Smudge'
    That has got to be the nicest picture posted on FG in a long time. Thanks for sharing,

Local Date
    12-05-2019
    Local Time
    07:44 PM

How can it be determined false labor for a dog? I can understand animals nursing from each-other, but false labor, was it gas? or did it mis-carry? was it breed ever? its about time dogs and cats become united in some way, but if the dog produced milk, could that be from the suckling of the kitten? interesting?

Local Date
    12-05-2019
    Local Time
    08:44 PM

What a gorgeous photo!
    We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    Aristotle

Harry3142

The older cat that I have now I found abandoned as a kitten. It was so small that it would curl up on my left shoulder to take a nap. That kitten was adopted by our German Shepherd mix named Sadie. Since the kitten weighed only a little over 1 pound and Sadie weighed 60 pounds, it was truly an odd thing to witness.

The kitten was old enough (barely) so that it could eat solid food, so Sadie didn't have to nurse it. but whenever we wanted to find it (Vagabond) all we had to do was to find Sadie and Vagabond would be curled up next to her, and sometimes even on top of her. They even ate out of the same bowl at the same time. My wife and I watched as Vagabond literally positioned himself between Sadie's legs in order to eat with her.

When Sadie died, Vagabond went into a depression that had us worried. He wouldn't eat, and just moped around. It was obvious that he was grieving. So we went over to the animal shelter, adopted a hound that was quite playful, and is still quite playful, and brought her (Samantha) home. When Vagabond saw Samantha he quite literally smiled, and they became playmates from that moment to this.

Local Date
    12-05-2019
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry3142
    When Vagabond saw Samantha he quite literally smiled, and they became playmates from that moment to this.
    Wow.. that brought tears to my eyes thanks for sharing

+ Reply to Thread