+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The All or Nothing Syndrome

Local Date
    11-15-2019
    Local Time
    02:07 AM

The All or Nothing Syndrome

I have had issues with eating my entire adult life. The concept of moderation, unfortunately, is foreign to me. I am from the school of All or Nothing.

I am 5'4" tall and my weight can varying from 110 to 140. I can gain weight and lose weight faster than anyone I know. It's easy for me. It's the All or Nothing Syndrome.

Naturally, self-esteem issues go hand-in-hand with this. Sometimes, I look in the mirror and say, "Why are you wasting so much time and energy on this issue? Why can't you like yourself as much as other people do?"

Ah, but if I could only learn moderation. Unlike booze or drugs, the all or nothing concept doesn't work with food. You have to eat. Why can't I have a spoon or two of ice cream without eating the whole pint? Why not 2 or 3 cookies instead of finishing the package?

Does anyone else struggle with this issue? I'd like to hear from some of you.
    Live Life with
    PASSION
    !

I think, therefore I post chonsigirl's Avatar
    Local Date
    11-15-2019
    Local Time

Re: The All or Nothing Syndrome

It is hard to eat in moderation, when there is something tasty you are craving or eating. Once you change your whole eating habits, from lifestyle decisions, this turn arounds and some of those craving will decrease.

I used to be like that, but now am on the other end of the stick. It is hard to keep my weight constant and not drop anymore. I have thankfully bottomed out I hope, but I must eat high caloric food to keep it on. Ha-change of life or something will kick in, and it will reverse itself again!

Local Date
    11-15-2019
    Local Time
    01:07 AM

Growing up we had to clean our plates. We would get the lecture of starving children in Africa. So I learned real quick to use a dessert plate when fixing my plate with food. Now with my children I just try to get them to eat a little of everthing on thier plate. And the easiest way I've found not to eat alot icecream or cookies is to not buy them.
    "Girls are crazy! I'm not ever getting married, I can make my own sandwiches!"
    my son

Local Date
    11-15-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Sheryl
    And the easiest way I've found not to eat alot icecream or cookies is to not buy them.
    You said it! I don't buy that stuff at the supermarket, as I won't keep it in the house.

However, my hubby has become my 'enabler'. I'm embarrassed to say he will make 'snack runs' for me in the evening. If he's going out to fill his gas tank or play a lottery number (which he does a lot ), he'll often bring home some sweets.

And then I will attack them
    Live Life with
    PASSION
    !

I think, therefore I post chonsigirl's Avatar
    Local Date
    11-15-2019
    Local Time

Hmm, Cher, let hubby win lottery money, and bring you back the loot instead, to go shopping for new clothes!

Buster, you eat the snackie poos now..........................

Local Date
    11-15-2019
    Local Time
    01:07 AM

Well Cher, just tell him to get you items that are lower in calories and no king sized items. you want ice cream get frozen yogurt or sherbet. For the chocolate you want get tootsie rolls or a Big Hunk (y'all have those). And remember dark chocolate is good for you, filled with antioxidants.
    "Girls are crazy! I'm not ever getting married, I can make my own sandwiches!"
    my son

Local Date
    11-15-2019
    Local Time
    08:07 AM

i relate well to this, i am a comfort eater & ive also picked up some really bad "learned" habits
    as you know ive started the paul mckenna plan which is not a diet as such, its more at reprogramming the bad habits you have picked up
    i dont know if it will work cher but im willing to give it a try, its not so much that i have objections to how i look in the mirror, its the level of fitness i have, its pretty low due to all this weight gain & im only 40, i want to live to a ripe old age
    maybe you could consider joining me & rapunzel on our quest?

flopstock

Quote Originally Posted by cherandbuster
    I am 5'4" tall and my weight can varying from 110 to 140. I can gain weight and lose weight faster than anyone I know. It's easy for me. It's the All or Nothing Syndrome.

Naturally, self-esteem issues go hand-in-hand with this. Sometimes, I look in the mirror and say, "Why are you wasting so much time and energy on this issue? Why can't you like yourself as much as other people do?"....
    See, I'm almost 5'4", was a 5/6 before my 7 year old was born and have been a multiple of 5/6 ever since..

I'm active, but that gut is never springing back...my metabolism has changed..the 'things and amounts' that once could be eaten without immediate and dire consequence is now a fond memory...

I don't own a scale- never have, never will.. but last time i stepped on one i was about a third again of your top range(you do the math.. )I might worry about how I looked if I was planning a vacation at a nude beach, but until I meet perfection in another person, my gut is something i can live with. Fortunately I have plenty of other things to give me self esteem issues.

Local Date
    11-15-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by flopstock
    Fortunately I have plenty of other things to give me self esteem issues.
    Oh that's funny

Thanks for the laugh, Flops.
    Live Life with
    PASSION
    !

Local Date
    11-15-2019
    Local Time
    03:07 AM

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by cherandbuster
    I have had issues with eating my entire adult life. The concept of moderation, unfortunately, is foreign to me. I am from the school of All or Nothing.

Naturally, self-esteem issues go hand-in-hand with this. Sometimes, I look in the mirror and say, "Why are you wasting so much time and energy on this issue? Why can't you like yourself as much as other people do?"

Ah, but if I could only learn moderation. Unlike booze or drugs, the all or nothing concept doesn't work with food. You have to eat. Why can't I have a spoon or two of ice cream without eating the whole pint? Why not 2 or 3 cookies instead of finishing the package?

Does anyone else struggle with this issue? I'd like to hear from some of you.

Interesting post.

Emotions play the single most important role in our total health picture. As a nutritional therapist of some 15 years, I can design a food plan that will metabolically fit you, taste delicious, satisfy cravings, help you to the right weight, and keep you healthy for 100-120 happy go lucky, pain free, mentally sharp years.

I'm like the pit crew for Jeff Gordon's racing team. I can get extra octane out of his fuel supply that will provide him all the free horsepower he needs to win. But if he's preoccupied, because his wife just filed for divorce, our team will finish dead last.

We all face stresses. We all carry baggage. Learning how to differentiate between the two, jettison excess baggage, then learn how to process stress in positive ways, allows the nutritional work to, well...work.

We semi-kiddingly say our program is about copious amounts of delicious food, great sex and loving relationships. If these things don't appeal to you, it probably isn't the right program for you.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast