Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: My dog was poisoned

Local Date
    08-25-2019
    Local Time
    11:07 AM

My dog was poisoned

Long story short:

I let my 5 pound dog out to potty at 11 p.m. and at 5 a.m. I got up to let him out for his morning potty and he was half dead. I took him to the vet and he was having seizures, brain swelled, tongue was hanging out, the vet said he wasn't going to make it. He gave him a shot to reduce swelling and some meds and after 2 days he is now home struggling to recover. The vet says he was poisoned. By something or someone. Has anyone ever had an experiece like this? Apparently pesticides can cause brain swelling and death in animals (as well as with humans). So I was curious if anyone knew of this happening to anyone because I'm wondering how best to help my dog make a full recovery. Thanks for any help in advance.

Local Date
    08-25-2019
    Local Time
    08:07 AM

Re: My dog was poisoned

Does your dog bark and annoy the neighbors?

What type (if any) weed killers or pesticides have YOU sprayed in
    your yard?

Best thing you can probably do for your dog right now is keep him close,
    off of any possibly treated areas, and follow your vet's advice.
    Tamsen's Dogster Page
    http://www.dogster.com/?27525

Local Date
    08-25-2019
    Local Time

Just keep us posted.

Local Date
    08-25-2019
    Local Time
    05:07 PM

I really hope your dog recovers, Rainbow. My thoughts are with you.

Local Date
    08-25-2019
    Local Time

Sorry to hear your doggie's been so poorly,
    i'm sure that if the vet's sent him home he's on the road to recovery.
    You say you "Let" him out to go to the toilet, maybe you should take him out on a leash so that you can keep an eye on him.

Local Date
    08-25-2019
    Local Time

poor lil doggie, i'd be knocking on the neighbours doors & confronting them
    if they dident do it they should at least be aware someone in the neighbourhood is sick & to monitor thier pets OR if using pesticides in future to alert everyone with pets so they can be kept indoors until its safe, im so angry about this i almost have steam coming out my ears

Local Date
    08-25-2019
    Local Time

Rainbow, hugs and best wishes to you and your little doggie, I hope that he is recovering but what a dreadful shock for you.

If it was a deliberate act by someone near you then it was a despicable thing to do but there are some very strange and cruel people about.
    In the UK there have been instances of people putting anti-freeze in meat to feed to dogs to poison them, could this have happened?

Hope that you both get over this quickly and your dog is up and about again soon.

Local Date
    08-25-2019
    Local Time

Rainbow, like Val asked, had you sprayed your lawn or garden recently? I dealt with many poisoned dogs and cats when I worked in that field, and if your vet sent him home, he must have been pretty confident that your dog was out of danger.
    I'm assuming he took blood, right? A thorough screening can usually tell the doctor what the dog was poisoned with, and that could help you in your search, if this was a deliberate act.
    Watch your dog VERY closely. Watch for any odd behavior like head tilting, or if it looks like he's chewing on the air. (Sounds weird, but that's the best way to describe it. And if you SEE it, you'll know exactly what I mean.)
    How did the vet treat your dog? Fluids, I assume, and did they force feed him a liquid charcoal looking substance? Any other onjections, like antibiotics, or anything like that?
    I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you, and your poor puppers. Keep us updated, won't you?
    I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
    ~Darrel Worley~

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

Senior Member pantsonfire321@aol.com's Avatar
    Local Date
    08-25-2019
    Local Time

Yes my ex neighbours dog was poisoned and it died as a result .Where i used to live we had a neighbour who absolutlely detested dogs , she had been bitten as a child and this irrational fear had never left her - she just lived to cause problems for every one else who owned a dog.
    Over the years she was my neighbour i had countless problems with her - she would always complain about dog mess( knowing full well it wasn't my dog) and would pick on my other neighbour just because she was old and she knew she wouldn't retaliate (unlike me )although she did once try to steal my cat - i caught her red handed letting my cat into her house i got him back and she never tryed anything with me again ( now i dont let my cats out )
    About a year after i moved to my present house i found out that the old lady my old neighbour (who had three dogs) had had her dog poisoned .The vet said the dog had definitely been poisoned but because the woman hadn't seen a person do it and had no proof there was no one to point the finger at so there wasn't much anyone could do .When i found out i just called the RSPCA it sooo could have been my dog.The woman was a real wack job and over the years i had called the police on her a few times - it goes to show you never know just what a person is really capable of and to poison a persons dog is about the most cruel thing a person could do and i really hope your dog recovers - my fingers are crossed for you
    Can go from 0 - to bitch in 3.0 seconds .

Smile people

yep, this bitch bites back .

ArnoldLayne

Register to remove this ad.
    I hope your dog is pulling through Rainbow. How any body could be so cruel as to poison an animal is beyond me, however annoying it may be. No excuse. Hopefully the vet will be able to tell if it was deliberate, or it was from some pesticide from the garden.

You should be able to tell if any neighbours are animal friendly. Any potential cruelty normally manifests itself in their every day behaviour or character. Your immediate neighbours, I'm sure, would have indicated to you any dislike of dogs or cats.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast