Make these ads go away.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The price of gas

Local Date
    10-17-2019
    Local Time
    04:55 PM

The price of gas

The price of gas is taking it's toll.. no, it's not the end of the world, it's just something that I have to take into consideration when doing things...

We are painting the house.. and I figured we would just brush it on.. it's not rocket science you know... They've been brushing paint on houses for thousands of years!!! (well.. maybe a few hundred...) but it's an awful lot of work.. and I really don't like work that much... So I decided to buy a paint sprayer.

Bi-mart and Lowes has the same model Wagner power painter that I want.. both priced identically.... but... Bi-Mart is 2 miles away, and Lowes is about 25 miles away.. Lowes will give me a 10% discount to beat Bi-Marts price.. but unfortunately the price for the gas eats up 75% of the discount.

So, is it worth it to save a net of $5.00 to drive to Lowes, or just spend the 5 minutes to go to Bi-Mart and pick it up.. I feel like I should go to Lowes just because they offer the discount..

I dunno.. just something to think about...

Raymond

I think, therefore I post chonsigirl's Avatar
    Local Date
    10-17-2019
    Local Time
    06:55 PM

Re: The price of gas

Always factor in the cost of gas, if it's only $5, it's not worth the extra drive.

Starting Over in 2007! LilacDragon's Avatar
    Local Date
    10-17-2019
    Local Time
    07:55 PM

Rollers.

Bigger then brushes but don't use gas. Those spray things get paint all over the place.

I worked with a painter for a summer. Brushes are for doing trim and tight spots. A good roller is worth gold.
    Sandi

Scrat

I was planning a trip to the Pacific coast out to the sea stacks west of Lake Ozette when my sigo comes back next weekend.

Her car is out of the question, its a gas hog. My truck gets better milage than hers and I calculated it would cost the following.

Short route. To Seattle-Bainbridge ferry dock taking into account time spent on clogged roads and waiting in the ferry line - $6.50. Ferry ride to Penninsula - $28.00. Cost of gas from Bainbridge to Lake Ozette- $18.00

Scenic route across the Tacoma Narrows. Roundtrip this would be about 400 miles. About $25.00 in gas. I fully expect this to double because of traffic congestion. You sit in the traffic jam and waste gas, this will happen in Tacoma, at the Narrows bridge in Bremerton and most likely Port Angeles.

The shorter ferry route is the one to take but because that way it is about the same cost but much quicker. Going through the cities and Narrows is ludicris.

The main problem here is not the price of gas or what route to take. The main problem is the people involved. And what they drive.

I will seriously enjoy the misery of people who are chained to their gas guzzling suburban assault vehicles and the like. Not so much so for my sigo but then she is riding the bus to work. At least she can adapt.

Local Date
    10-17-2019
    Local Time
    06:55 PM

Combine your trips. Get the beer and chips on the way back from Lowes.

San Diego, California (Native born and raised)
    Local Date
    10-17-2019
    Local Time

Exactly JB or what's the point..

ALOHA!!
    MOTTO TO LIVE BY:
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.
    WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Local Date
    10-17-2019
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbbarker1947

That's the winning idea right there! Had to go into town anyway to pick up William, Plus I found a $10.00 customer appreciation card that Lowes sent us the last time we bought stuff there.. and we had to go buy the grocery store anyway, and the Safeway in the city is much nicer than the one here in town.. (Huge produce section, and their butcher is much better.. London Broil on sale for $1.99!! It's Kabobs night at my house.. anyone who can be here by 6 pm is invited!)

So.. as soon as I get this thing put together, and figure out how to prime/purge it.. I'm painting!

I love America!!

Raymond

+ Reply to Thread