Make these ads go away.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Don't accidently poision your pet!

Local Date
    12-14-2019
    Local Time
    12:33 PM

Don't accidently poision your pet!

Today we are treating two absolutely gorgeous black cats that are fighting for their lives this afternoon. The problem isn't that the owner neglected them, or abused them, in fact the lady is very attached and loves these cats very much!
    The poor dear was given some very bad information, by the receptionist at her primary Vet, no less. She was told it would be perfectly fine to treat her two lovely felines with the same topical flea product that her husband had uses to treat his Lab and his Chesapeake.
    There are AT LEAST 21 different types of these topical products that are used to get rid of flea and ticks; Frontline, Advantage, Advantacs, etc...
    I know that our forum is full of very intelligent people, and I am not trying to insult that AT ALL. That being said, please be aware that you CAN NOT use K-9 formula of ANYTHING on felines.
    The topical products are many times cat/dog specific, and at ALL times weight specific. Overdosing leads to toxicity, seizures, multiple system shutdown. If it's not treated it can be a very long and very painful death.
    I make a long and definate point about this because we continue to see this, year after year. Most of the people are otherwise well informed, educated people that have just underestimated this product, that is now sold over the counter.
    If you have questions at ALL, call a vet, if you can't get your own vet, call another one. Don't take advice from the receptionist, ask for a tech or a DVM.

Thank you for you time. It's just a huge bone of contention for me right now. Just read the box! Please...
    "My body is the earth but my head is in the stars."

God Bless BR!!!

Local Date
    12-14-2019
    Local Time
    10:33 AM

Re: Don't accidently poision your pet!

Quote Originally Posted by CheshireCat
    Today we are treating two absolutely gorgeous black cats that are fighting for their lives this afternoon. The problem isn't that the owner neglected them, or abused them, in fact the lady is very attached and loves these cats very much!
    The poor dear was given some very bad information, by the receptionist at her primary Vet, no less. She was told it would be perfectly fine to treat her two lovely felines with the same topical flea product that her husband had uses to treat his Lab and his Chesapeake.
    There are AT LEAST 21 different types of these topical products that are used to get rid of flea and ticks; Frontline, Advantage, Advantacs, etc...
    I know that our forum is full of very intelligent people, and I am not trying to insult that AT ALL. That being said, please be aware that you CAN NOT use K-9 formula of ANYTHING on felines.
    The topical products are many times breed specific, and at ALL times weight specific. Overdosing leads to toxicity, seizures, multiple system shutdown. If it's not treated it can be a very long and very painful death.
    I make a long and definate point about this because we continue to see this, year after year. Most of the people are otherwise well informed, educated people that have just underestimated this product, that is now sold over the counter.
    If you have questions at ALL, call a vet, if you can't get your own vet, call another one. Don't take advice from the receptionist, ask for a tech or a DVM.

Thank you for you time. It's just a huge bone of contention for me right now. Just read the box! Please...

(Except, that should be "species specific", not "breed")
    Tamsen's Dogster Page
    http://www.dogster.com/?27525

SnoozeControl

Fingers crossed for the kitties, black cats are my favorite.

Local Date
    12-14-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by valerie

(Except, that should be "species specific", not "breed")
    I realize that, thanks. I changed it. I was on a roll.

God Bless BR!!!

Local Date
    12-14-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by SnoozeControl
    Fingers crossed for the kitties, black cats are my favorite.
    These cats will be fine. (Lord willin') This lady is so upset and can not believe that she actually "did" something that could harm her babies.
    We got them om anti seizure and fluids less than an hour after she noticed them "acting funny". They'll be fine.

Seen others not so lucky!

God Bless BR!!!

Local Date
    12-14-2019
    Local Time

And I don't want to forget, thank you to you and all there for doing
    your utmost to help!!
    Tamsen's Dogster Page

Local Date
    12-14-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by valerie
    And I don't want to forget, thank you to you and all there for doing
    your utmost to help!!
    Yeah, I got called in today too. But I am so at home here, it's weird.

Oh, we also have the sweetest dog in here for mysterious symptoms. Just a general kind of clumsiness, and urinating in the house. We radiograph the dog, 38 beebees in it's hind quarters. THe dog has lead poisioning! How do you not notice that you're dog has been shot 38 times?

I'm just on a general rant today. I'm so very glad to be here for these babies, but some of these "owners", come on people. How hard is it to just pay attention?

God Bless BR!!!

SnoozeControl

Quote Originally Posted by CheshireCat
    Yeah, I got called in today too. But I am so at home here, it's weird.

Oh, we also have the sweetest dog in here for mysterious symptoms. Just a general kind of clumsiness, and urinating in the house. We radiograph the dog, 38 beebees in it's hind quarters. THe dog has lead poisioning! How do you not notice that you're dog has been shot 38 times?

I'm just on a general rant today. I'm so very glad to be here for these babies, but some of these "owners", come on people. How hard is it to just pay attention?
    I'd like to get my hands on the sick **** that shot that dog!

Local Date
    12-14-2019
    Local Time

That dog shouldn't have been left out where things like that could happen.

It might have been running livestock. In my county, you can shoot any dog
    doing that.

A bunch of Alaskan Malamutes ran my horse through a barbed wire
    fence one time.

Tamsen's Dogster Page

Local Date
    12-14-2019
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by SnoozeControl
    I'd like to get my hands on the sick **** that shot that dog!
    You and me both, oh sweetie, the things these animals have to endure. And these are the ones that have "decent" homes. You should see our rescue cases.
    I tell ya, my heart breaks if not daily, weekly. Fortunately we have several great rescue groups around here and a lot of support for our Humane Society.

God Bless BR!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast