+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Why?

Local Date
    12-08-2019
    Local Time
    07:34 PM

Re: Why?

Oh CC, that is SO sad! And it's why I could never do the job you do.
    Hugs to you for your bravery and sensitivity!

Local Date
    12-08-2019
    Local Time
    12:34 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Rapunzel
    Oh CC, that is SO sad! And it's why I could never do the job you do.
    Hugs to you for your bravery and sensitivity!
    Thank YOU Rap, ..
    People always thank us, I love what I do, I should thank people like you (us), that give me the opportunity to do this kind of work.
    If people didn't care for their pets, I'd be out of a job. I see it as kind of a community affair, do you know what I mean?
    "My body is the earth but my head is in the stars."

God Bless BR!!!

Local Date
    12-08-2019
    Local Time

Well, I'm gonna risk everyone getting mad at me and ask a question. The cost for putting an animal down is about $25 here. I can't imagine the tumor surgery would be that cheap but perhaps it was. I'll certainly concede to CC's superior knowledge on this issue. Let me give you a little anecdote and then I'll ask my question. A few years back our cat was prego's. She delivered four kittens but I could tell there was still one kitten she had not delivered. After a couple of hours of being in severe pain and unable to deliver, my wife rushed her to an emergency vet clinic (it was after hours and our regular vet was closed). The vet clinic said the last kitten was in a U-turn position and couldn't pass through the birth canal. An x-ray and C-section was going to cost $800. That's $800 up front, on the spot. I raise a family on a meager public service income and didn't have $800 for a cat. The vet said our cat would not be able to deliver and that she would ultimately die. But my wife brought the cat home. We didn't know what would happen to her but decided we just had to let nature take its course while keeping her a comfortable as possible. The next morning we awoke and I immediately noticed something in her box. It was a stillborn kitten. Fortunately, she had managed to deliver during the night. That's the story, here is my question. Why do vets insist on full payment at the time of visit. For expensive procedures, why don't they arrange to let the pet owner pay in installments? I've never come across one that does. Perhaps more people would be willing to give their pets medical care rather than euthanize if the impact on the family budget was not severe. I know, someone is going to say that if you can't afford a pet then don't get one. That's fine too, but many pets are rescued from shelters where they would otherwise be putdown by families who can afford to routinely care for the pet but can't afford hundreds and thousands of dollars for emergency procedures. Last Wednesday, I had to rush my daughter to the ER. I paid a $100 co-pay and will get a bill for the remainder of expenses that my insurance doesn't cover. The hospital will allow me to pay that balance in installments. Why won't my vet?

Local Date
    12-08-2019
    Local Time
    10:34 AM

Some of them will, AZ, but they've all been burned soooo many times,
    they have to get the money up front or they never would. There are
    actually people who bring pets in and never come back, too.

Unfortunately, there are too many who don't feel the same way about
    their furkids as their skinkids. If they weren't made to pay up front,
    they skip and leave the poor pet behind.

And now I'll let CC take over, I'm sure she has something to say.

It's a very sad situation, all the way 'round.

Tamsen's Dogster Page
    http://www.dogster.com/?27525

Local Date
    12-08-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Zapple
    Well, I'm gonna risk everyone getting mad at me and ask a question. The cost for putting an animal down is about $25 here. I can't imagine the tumor surgery would be that cheap but perhaps it was. I'll certainly concede to CC's superior knowledge on this issue. Let me give you a little anecdote and then I'll ask my question. A few years back our cat was prego's. She delivered four kittens but I could tell there was still one kitten she had not delivered. After a couple of hours of being in severe pain and unable to deliver, my wife rushed her to an emergency vet clinic (it was after hours and our regular vet was closed). The vet clinic said the last kitten was in a U-turn position and couldn't pass through the birth canal. An x-ray and C-section was going to cost $800. That's $800 up front, on the spot. I raise a family on a meager public service income and didn't have $800 for a cat. The vet said our cat would not be able to deliver and that she would ultimately die. But my wife brought the cat home. We didn't know what would happen to her but decided we just had to let nature take its course while keeping her a comfortable as possible. The next morning we awoke and I immediately noticed something in her box. It was a stillborn kitten. Fortunately, she had managed to deliver during the night. That's the story, here is my question. Why do vets insist on full payment at the time of visit. For expensive procedures, why don't they arrange to let the pet owner pay in installments? I've never come across one that does. Perhaps more people would be willing to give their pets medical care rather than euthanize if the impact on the family budget was not severe. I know, someone is going to say that if you can't afford a pet then don't get one. That's fine too, but many pets are rescued from shelters where they would otherwise be putdown by families who can afford to routinely care for the pet but can't afford hundreds and thousands of dollars for emergency procedures. Last Wednesday, I had to rush my daughter to the ER. I paid a $100 co-pay and will get a bill for the remainder of expenses that my insurance doesn't cover. The hospital will allow me to pay that balance in installments. Why won't my vet?
    The fact that we ar an "emergency" hospital requires us to charge a fee just for beiing available, This has only been available here in the last few months,
    I have worked for emergancy ER for years

I'm afraid you are speaking OUt of turn
    "My body is the earth but my head is in the stars."

God Bless BR!!!

I think, therefore I post chonsigirl's Avatar
    Local Date
    12-08-2019
    Local Time
    01:34 PM

Oh, that is such a sad story, CC. The poor doggie..................

Local Date
    12-08-2019
    Local Time
    01:34 PM

Adam Z..not sure where exactly you are, but when Scooter was sick, and I had to bring him in several times, once for surgery, the vet let me pay over time.

SnoozeControl

I'm guessing if you have an existing relationship with a vet, they'd allow payments. But the way Adam told it, they had to go somewhere that didn't know them. So I can understand why the vet would want all the money up front.

SnoozeControl

By the way, Adam, how's your cat? She must've been exhausted after that delivery, the poor thing.

Local Date
    12-08-2019
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    Marie, I think you have a smart and compassionate vet. Seems to me the pets will get better and consistant healthcare this way.

CC, why am I speaking out of turn? I simply asked a question. I'm not suggesting that the service be free if that is what you are thinking. I understand that the vet has to charge for its services, but how many people have a $1000 bucks sitting in a jar just waiting for ol' Fido to need surgery. Why can't vets use collection services just like anyone else for those who don't pay. Again, I'm talking about expensive emergency procedures, not routine vet care. As for people who abandon pets at the vet, they will do that whether there is a charge or not. And perhaps fewer would do so if they knew they could pay the bill over a period of time.

If someone is faced with $800 to $1000 on the spot for pet care or $25 to put them down, sometimes the only choice they really have is to put the pet down. But if given a choice to put a hundred down and maybe a hundred a month, then more pet owners would be able to save their pets would they not?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast