Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Why?

Hybrid View

Local Date
    01-19-2020
    Local Time
    12:52 PM

Why?

I hate to post this on a beautiful Sunday morning, but I'm sitting here between tears and rage.
    I worked third shift last night at the Animal Hospital. This couple came in with a beautiful Cocker Spaniel/Chow mix. Wonderful dog! They thought he had an engorged tick in his ear, turns out he had a small tunor. He had scratched it and it was bleeding. The dog needed surgery, but it was so minimal the dog would only have to be gassed (kind of like when you go to the dentist) it didn't have to "go under" and would have been able to go home after only a couple of hours of recovery.
    They opted to euthinize it!
    It was a 10 year old dog and they took that as a sign that it was "going down hill" and just told us to kill it.
    They signed the legal papers, we had no choice. We had to put a perfectly healthy dog with a good home down. I was phisically ill, still am. I just don't understand.
    AND they just left him in the exam room, no good byes, no nothing, just kind of like he was nothing. We felt more for him than the people he had lived with for 10 years did. I am wiping tears out of my eyes right now! I just don't get it.
    Anyway, just needed to vent for a minute.
    Cher, I promise I'll post that happy story, this one I just had to get off my chest this morning.

"My body is the earth but my head is in the stars."

God Bless BR!!!

Hamster

Re: Why?

Thats awful...I feel for you CC

Local Date
    01-19-2020
    Local Time
    01:52 PM

I think this is why I could never work in an animal hospital, or even a rescue center. I would want to bring them all home with me.
    Unfortunatly there are those people who see thier pets as "just an animal" and therefore expendable. At 10, the dog had , what..about 6 or 7 good years left, if not more? No excuses, but wonder if there was something else going on there?

Local Date
    01-19-2020
    Local Time
    02:52 PM

That just sucks,Strang world we live in.Just a quik question,Was it less money too put it down or operate?

Local Date
    01-19-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Shweet tatersalad
    That just sucks,Strang world we live in.Just a quik question,Was it less money too put it down or operate?
    About the same. He was afraid of incurring further costs down the road.

God Bless BR!!!

Local Date
    01-19-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Marie5656
    I think this is why I could never work in an animal hospital, or even a rescue center. I would want to bring them all home with me.
    Unfortunatly there are those people who see thier pets as "just an animal" and therefore expendable. At 10, the dog had , what..about 6 or 7 good years left, if not more? No excuses, but wonder if there was something else going on there?
    You're right, it is hard sometimes. We see a lot. But his case is especially hard to take.
    The woman stormed out of the clinic, it was her dog. She let her husband tell her that the dog had to die. But it DIDN"T!!!
    It was about a five minute debate. I would have stayed in there and put up more of a fight for my friend!

God Bless BR!!!

Local Date
    01-19-2020
    Local Time
    01:52 PM

I am suddenly reminded of January, 2005, when my Guinea Pig, Scooter had been ill, off and on for a couple of months. Finaly we realized that he was going down hill with little hope of recovery. I had made an apointment for January 5th, 2005 for another check up, and shots for pain management. Late in the evening of the 4th, my hubby and I came to the decision that if Scooter made it through the night, I would keep the appointment but have Scooter humainely excorted over the rainbow bridge. He was SO unwell. Sadly, or maybe a good thing, At 9:30 in the evening of January 4th, 2004, Scooter took the decision out of our hands, and silently slipped away, while Rick was holding him in his lap.

There are some who would have seen Scooter as "just a guinea pig" but he was a good companion to me!!

SnoozeControl

That's a terrible thing to happen, CCat... that poor dog.

Local Date
    01-19-2020
    Local Time

I am suddenly reminded of January, 2005, when my Guinea Pig, Scooter had been ill, off and on for a couple of months. Finaly we realized that he was going down hill with little hope of recovery. I had made an apointment for January 5th, 2005 for another check up, and shots for pain management. Late in the evening of the 4th, my hubby and I came to the decision that if Scooter made it through the night, I would keep the appointment but have Scooter humainely excorted over the bridge. He was SO unwell. Sadly, or maybe a good thing, At 9:30 in the evening of January 4th, 2004, Scooter took the decision out of our hands, and silently slipped away, while Rick was holding him in his lap.

There are some who would have seen Scooter as "just a guinea pig" but he was a good companion to me!!
    Oh Marie, there is a point where we can't be selfish and they do need help. That's what we can do for our animals that we can't do for family.
    I just think that it wasn't the case this time. I know, there are even Vets that would disagree with me on this one. Maybe I'm just tired. But this one stuck in my crawl.
    I would never tell you that your companion was " just an animal", not a rat or even a snake. Especially not a guinea pig!

God Bless BR!!!

Local Date
    01-19-2020
    Local Time
    02:52 PM

That would be me. I'd probably have ended up bringing home yet another dog. It has to suck putting an animal to sleep, but it has to feel great to see one pull through that you weren't so sure could.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast