Make these ads go away.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Muslims Aren't the Only Ones ....

Local Date
    01-20-2020
    Local Time
    03:54 AM

Muslims Aren't the Only Ones ....

Muslims aren't the only ones trying to suppress free expression! Look here+++

Madonna's Mock Crucifixion Causes Religious Groups To File Complaint

September 12, 2006 8:08 a.m. EST

Maira Oliveira - All Headline News Reporter
    Holland, Netherlands (BANG) - Some believe that Madonna has taken a self-crucifixion scene that is part of her latest world tour concerts a little too far. The music icon has mostly recently infuriated young Christians in Holland who have decided to take legal action into their own hands and stop the singer from continuing her shows.

The youth wing of the protestant party SGP have filed a legal complaint against the "Material Girl" singer accusing her of "blasphemy" and "insulting a religious group."

The group - whose compliant has been supported by 50 different organizations - was incensed by a mock crucifixion scene during two sell-out concerts in Amsterdam earlier this month.

It's not the first time a religious group has been upset by Madonna's antics on her current "Confessions" world tour.

Last month, the Russian Orthodox Church attacked the singer for her mock crucifixion stunt, going so far as to urge Christians to boycott her Moscow show.

Spokesman Father Vsevolod Chaplin said, "This is not the first year that this lady has been mixing songs about human passion with Christian symbols - crosses, statues of the virgin, beads, and now it's self-crucifixion."

The outburst came just weeks after her performance in Rome prompted some Catholic leaders to call for her ex-communication from the church. Madonna was raised a Catholic but is now a devout follower of the Kabbalah, a mystical off-shoot of Judaism.

Meanwhile, a 63-year-old Dutch clergyman confessed last Friday to making a hoax bomb threat in an attempt to stop Madonna's concert because he objected to the crucifixion scene.
    My candle's burning at both ends, it will not last the night. But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--It gives a lovely light!--Edna St. Vincent Millay

Local Date
    01-20-2020
    Local Time
    05:54 AM

Re: Muslims Aren't the Only Ones ....

Oh, gimme a break, LuLu. I noticed you didn't compare the Democrats (threatening to sue if ABC didn't cancel a miniseries that didn't glow about Clinton) with Muslims. Voicing displeasure with something that is blatantly disrespectful to someone's religion is not the same thing as blowing up school buses and you know it. Is your objecting to their objecting comparable to Islamofascism too?

Local Date
    01-20-2020
    Local Time

Not at all Adam. What I'm finding objectionable is a group trying to stop an event which is ticketed, not free on media.
    My candle's burning at both ends, it will not last the night. But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--It gives a lovely light!--Edna St. Vincent Millay

Local Date
    01-20-2020
    Local Time
    04:54 AM

So we've got clergymen putting in fake bomb threats? That's disturbing.

I cannot believe that anyone is shocked or upset by what Madonna does anymore. She's old hat. I mean she's done everything except sex with sheep (gosh I hope that's still undone) and has lost the ability to shock anymore, IMO.

These people need to get upset by something that actually is worth getting upset about.

Local Date
    01-20-2020
    Local Time

"gosh I hope that's still undone"

(Thanks, Glitt! I just spit tea all over my desk!)

Local Date
    01-20-2020
    Local Time
    06:54 AM

As hard as I looked, I couldn't see any mentions of anything or anyone being burned or bombed, of any decapitations, executions, violent rallies, threats, etc. I just read about law-suits and boycotts ... Sounds pretty civilized to me. The only connection I can think of is with the moderate Muslims in Canada, who proposed boycotting Danish cheese after the cartoons
    The power of MEOW

Local Date
    01-20-2020
    Local Time

In any democratic country anyone is allowed to protest and even to try a court challenge.

On the other hand I think that making an issue of Madonna's stunt only gives her ideosyncrasies credibility. It will go away just like the others. The money wasted might be better spent looking after the oppressed and destitute. That would be a far better Christian response. Shock value works well for Madonna and makes her money. Smart move if you're interesting in expanding your bank account.

Shalom
    Ted

Local Date
    01-20-2020
    Local Time

My issue with this is simple...Madonna is selling tickets to a concert which is optional and not mandatory. If the Catholics don't like what they HEAR about the possible program Madonna has prepared, they certainly aren't compelled to attend.

Therefore, the effort to shut her down reminds me very much of the Taliban!

Local Date
    01-20-2020
    Local Time

lulu

I can go along with that.

Shalom
    Ted

Local Date
    01-20-2020
    Local Time
    06:54 AM

Register to remove this ad.
    I'm an advocate of freedom in art, so I don't agree with art being censored. But, at the same time, protesting something you don't agree with or suing is an expression of freedom of speech, just as Madonna's use of Christian symbols is one. Catholics have the same rights as Madonna does. Furthermore, I see absolutely no comparison with the Taliban - they didn't protest or sue, but executed and prohibited.

However, if the judge decided in their favour, now that would be tantamount to limiting freedom of speech. Since Catholics don't have the authority to stop anything from happening, I don't see the problem with them expressing disagreement. Or is the ability to disagree limited to causes we find acceptable?
    The power of MEOW

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast