Make these ads go away.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Muslims Aren't the Only Ones ....

Bristol, think right from Wales and a bit above Glastonbury.
    Local Date
    01-24-2020
    Local Time
    02:37 AM

Re: Muslims Aren't the Only Ones ....

Quote Originally Posted by Lulu2
    Not at all Adam. What I'm finding objectionable is a group trying to stop an event which is ticketed, not free on media.
    Yep Lulu, it made my blood boil. There was a similar incident not that long after whereby a play that showed domestic abuse within a Hindu family was stopped. This was in an obscure theatre in an inconspicuous part of northern England, they said it was a slur on their religion in some way.

With rehards to the church and state issue I agree. Personally I don't need a hereditary 'representative' who is in to way representational of my beliefs or way of life. Yes, maybe good for tourism and she throws a jolly good garden party but other than that.....

The powers that The Queen may hold with regards to parliament (other than being an intrinsic part of the 'ceremony' of it all) are nil really.

Local Date
    01-24-2020
    Local Time
    03:37 AM

Madonna was raised a Catholic but is now a devout follower of the Kabbalah, a mystical off-shoot of Judaism.
    The only altar at which Madonna worships 'devout'ly is the altar of self-promotion.
    If the Catholics don't like what they HEAR about the possible program Madonna has prepared, they certainly aren't compelled to attend.

Therefore, the effort to shut her down reminds me very much of the Taliban!
    Lu, as a Catholic I agree with you. I do not find in the posted material, however, any effort by Catholics to do that. The Churches cited are the Russian Orthodox and Dutch Reformed. Remember, both of these are, to the best of my knowledge, ESTABLISHMENT countries, where the churches mentioned are the official churches of that country and have at least some influence in those countries' political affairs, which is to say, such pronouncements are not out of line as they would be in the USA and other countries that are religiously neutral..

To most Catholics, Madonna is an enormous embarrassment. But we are not to judge such people, that authority belongs to God alone.

Local Date
    01-23-2020
    Local Time
    07:37 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Felinessa
    I don't see the problem with them expressing disagreement. Or is the ability to disagree limited to causes we find acceptable?
    You have hit the nail on the head. I may not agree with the tactics chosen by the protesters but they have the right to protest and sue if they wish. Is there a day that goes by that some group isn't protesting something, liberals groups especially? Are they all the Taliban? Any American who compares free expression, religious or otherwise, with the Taliban doesn't really understand what the Taliban was all about. I'll paraphrase Barry Goldwater in order to sum up my friend's views on the matter. "I would remind you that extremism in the condemnation of religion is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the defense of Christianity is no virtue.”

Local Date
    01-23-2020
    Local Time
    09:37 PM

I have no problem with them suing as long as they have to pay the court costs if they lose. The courts are the not place for relgious or political demonstrations...

I have a huge problem with frivolous lawsuits which are becoming an American way of life and this is one of the most frivolous I have ever heard of..

If they want to waste other peoples time and money in court they should have to pay for it.
    You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Local Date
    01-23-2020
    Local Time
    08:37 PM

They're Dutch, Zinky Maybe it's catching on?
    The power of MEOW

Local Date
    01-23-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Felinessa
    They're Dutch, Zinky Maybe it's catching on?

eh eh eh, oops
    You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Bristol, think right from Wales and a bit above Glastonbury.
    Local Date
    01-24-2020
    Local Time
    02:37 AM

Quote Originally Posted by zinkyusa
    I have no problem with them suing as long as they have to pay the court costs if the lose. The courts are the not place for relgious or political demonstrations...

I have a huge problem with frivolous lawsuits which are becoming an American way of life and this is one of the most frivolous I have ever heard of..

If they want to waste other peoples time and money in court they should have to pay for it.
    Yup, it's peoples greed and desire for something for nothing that has come back and bit us in the arse. You fall over in school and break your leg? Sue the school who is already in financial deficit and make a quick buck, so your kid hasn't got any books? Never mind, they've got an X Box 360 with the 'winnings' so it doesn't matter does it.....

Local Date
    01-23-2020
    Local Time
    05:37 PM

BRONWEN

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lulu2
    Madonna was raised a Catholic but is now a devout follower of the Kabbalah, a mystical off-shoot of Judaism.

+++++++++++ I'm not offended...but I didn't say this.
    My candle's burning at both ends, it will not last the night. But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--It gives a lovely light!--Edna St. Vincent Millay

Local Date
    01-23-2020
    Local Time
    05:37 PM

If the Catholics don't like what they HEAR about the possible program Madonna has prepared, they certainly aren't compelled to attend.

Therefore, the effort to shut her down reminds me very much of the Taliban!
    I think I detect a weakness in the argument . It is true that Catholics who find the thing offensive are not obliged to attend but it is equally true that those who do attend are going to be influenced by what they see at the show and this, in terms of mass behaviour, will effect a wider wider cross section of society than those who were present.
    Personally I am not keen on censorship but I can understand that a great deal of this Madonna nonsense is performed as a form of social rebellion - and one that the woman herself ought to have grown out of some years ago.
    I wouldn't be too concerned if during her crucifixion scene, an element of reality was injected.

Local Date
    01-23-2020
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by William Ess
    I think I detect a weakness in the argument . It is true that Catholics who find the thing offensive are not obliged to attend but it is equally true that those who do attend are going to be influenced by what they see at the show and this, in terms of mass behaviour, will effect a wider wider cross section of society than those who were present.
    Personally I am not keen on censorship but I can understand that a great deal of this Madonna nonsense is performed as a form of social rebellion - and one that the woman herself ought to have grown out of some years ago.
    I wouldn't be too concerned if during her crucifixion scene, an element of reality was injected.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast