Make these ads go away.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: next election cycle

  1. #1
    Senior Member charles_r51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    350
    Local Date
    05-28-2020
    Local Time
    02:43 AM

    Cool next election cycle

    george bush still has another 2 1/2 years before he gets the boot. anyone think this election will be a pre-cursor to the next presidential candidates chances of attaining the office? and who would you like to see as the candidate for the dems? the reps? a possible independent? i think mccain has a fair chance as the rep, but clinton seems an unlikely dem. what about lieberman as a dem, or independent? comments? other choices?
    i'm open for suggestions.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Bored_Wombat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Oceania
    Posts
    380
    Local Date
    05-28-2020
    Local Time
    05:43 PM

    Re: next election cycle

    If you can manage an independent, that's be funniest.

    And best.

  3. #3
    Senior Member charles_r51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    350
    Local Date
    05-28-2020
    Local Time
    02:43 AM

    Cool Re: next election cycle

    Quote Originally Posted by Bored_Wombat
    If you can manage an independent, that's be funniest.

    And best.
    if someone with the quality of ross perot, he may be able to pull in a fair percentage of votes, but i don't see anyone fitting the bill right now. someone may, but i don't see any independent ever getting elected due to the lack of backing by politicalk fundraisers who almost always back a democrat or republican. most independents are hard pressed to get onto all fifty states ballots and even harder pressed to do more than act as the spoiler in any election.

  4. #4
    Senior Member zinkyusa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    suckin' peoples blood
    Posts
    3,270
    Local Date
    05-28-2020
    Local Time
    03:43 AM

    Re: next election cycle

    I'd like to see McCain and Colin Powell run together, even though Powell has ruled that out.

    For the dem's John Edwards is stumping pretty hard. Being a southerner he would do much better nationally than Hillary..
    You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

  5. #5
    Senior Member charles_r51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    350
    Local Date
    05-28-2020
    Local Time
    02:43 AM

    Cool Re: next election cycle

    Quote Originally Posted by zinkyusa
    I'd like to see McCain and Colin Powell run together, even though Powell has ruled that out.

    For the dem's John Edwards is stumping pretty hard. Being a southerner he would do much better nationally than Hillary..
    mccain is a definite possibility, but he may be a bit to far right for many especially after bush which may be to his detriment. as for powell, he would probably sink a republican candidacy due to southern (and even) northern racial sentiments which have never really been overcome.
    hillary would be far to leftish to be acceptable in the south, but edwards is a poswsibility. obama would probably be notable, but like powell, color wouldmost likely destroy his chances.
    the biggest problem to overcome for the dems is conservatism in so much of the south and farm states. they would have to field someone who would not be concieved as leftish, but conservative which right now appears unlikely to get anyone who could draw the center and some rightist groups. he (or she) would have to have a proven moderate record, while republicans would have to field a real right winger to combat the centrist positions which are more likely to acceptable.
    either side could get a number of candidates, but it will probably be a centrist who'll have the best chance in '08. the question seems to be, who'll fit the bill without being to radical in either direction and be a compromise winner?
    that's where bush came from, but his agenda was far more rightish than anyone considered and has provewn to be a real detriment in this cycle. his political inexperience has proven to backfire in many areas, but the conservative congress has just followed right along without question and it has shown itself to be a bad idea. while a change in direction is sometimes justified, the changes he made have proven oddly not such a good idea and is having more and more fallout.

  6. #6
    Senior Member zinkyusa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    suckin' peoples blood
    Posts
    3,270
    Local Date
    05-28-2020
    Local Time
    03:43 AM

    Re: next election cycle

    Quote Originally Posted by charles_r51
    mccain is a definite possibility, but he may be a bit to far right for many especially after bush which may be to his detriment. as for powell, he would probably sink a republican candidacy due to southern (and even) northern racial sentiments which have never really been overcome.
    hillary would be far to leftish to be acceptable in the south, but edwards is a poswsibility. obama would probably be notable, but like powell, color wouldmost likely destroy his chances.
    the biggest problem to overcome for the dems is conservatism in so much of the south and farm states. they would have to field someone who would not be concieved as leftish, but conservative which right now appears unlikely to get anyone who could draw the center and some rightist groups. he (or she) would have to have a proven moderate record, while republicans would have to field a real right winger to combat the centrist positions which are more likely to acceptable.
    either side could get a number of candidates, but it will probably be a centrist who'll have the best chance in '08. the question seems to be, who'll fit the bill without being to radical in either direction and be a compromise winner?
    that's where bush came from, but his agenda was far more rightish than anyone considered and has provewn to be a real detriment in this cycle. his political inexperience has proven to backfire in many areas, but the conservative congress has just followed right along without question and it has shown itself to be a bad idea. while a change in direction is sometimes justified, the changes he made have proven oddly not such a good idea and is having more and more fallout.

    Don't know about Texas but here in NC Powell is very popular because of his miltary service...McCain would be enough to carry the south IMO even with Powell on the ticket. Powell would bring more of the black vote to repbulicans than they'ev ever seen..It's a mute point though as he is quite clear about not running.
    The dems need to find some new faces if they expect to win even with the mess Bush has caused...The same old Kerry, Gore, Gephart have no prayer, nor does Hillary nationally..

    We may see some governors emerge from the midwest to run as well..
    You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

  7. #7
    Senior Member cherandbuster's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    8,485
    Local Date
    05-28-2020
    Local Time
    02:43 AM

    Re: next election cycle

    What do you guys think of Joe Biden? I like him a lot.
    Live Life with
    PASSION
    !




  8. #8
    Senior Member zinkyusa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    suckin' peoples blood
    Posts
    3,270
    Local Date
    05-28-2020
    Local Time
    03:43 AM

    Re: next election cycle

    Quote Originally Posted by cherandbuster
    What do you guys think of Joe Biden? I like him a lot.

    I think he has to much baggage Cher, with the cheating on the tests etc...
    You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

  9. #9
    Senior Member cherandbuster's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    8,485
    Local Date
    05-28-2020
    Local Time
    02:43 AM

    Re: next election cycle

    Quote Originally Posted by zinkyusa
    I think he has to much baggage Cher, with the cheating on the tests etc...
    What baggage, Zinkster? Would you inform me?
    Live Life with
    PASSION
    !




  10. #10
    Senior Member zinkyusa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    suckin' peoples blood
    Posts
    3,270
    Local Date
    05-28-2020
    Local Time
    03:43 AM

    Re: next election cycle

    Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by cherandbuster
    What baggage, Zinkster? Would you inform me?
    He ran for the White House in 1988, but dropped out after rival Democratic candidate Michael Dukakis distributed a videotape that showed Biden lifted parts of his speeches from remarks made by British Labor Party leader Neil Kinnock. He also was accused of and admitted to cheating and plaigirism during his college years. He was young then of course but those things come out during presidential races..
    You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. No comments on the election?
    By buttercup in forum Scotland
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 05-14-2007, 05:46 AM
  2. Hamster spin cycle
    By dedo in forum Political Humor & Satire
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-02-2007, 04:08 PM
  3. Looking for re-election
    By Wolverine in forum Just For The Fun Of It
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-02-2006, 11:37 AM
  4. Election overkill?
    By john8pies in forum Current Events
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-30-2005, 02:30 AM
  5. Election
    By Bothwell in forum Current Events
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 04-11-2005, 02:14 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts