Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10

Thread: Are there any Buddhists here?

Local Date
    06-16-2019
    Local Time
    01:53 AM

Re: Are there any Buddhists here?

Quote Originally Posted by Philadelphia Eagle View Post
    I was born into Christianity but became a Buddhist while living in a buddhist country (Thailand). My wife is Thai and so has been a Buddhist since birth. Buddhism is a very compassionate religion and never attempts to convert or otherwise influence people of other persuasions. It seems to be the only major religion not to have conflicts fought over it. With its peaceful and tolerant outlook on life many think of it as the exact opposite of Islam.
    I was looking for this.....great quote. I am going to meet someone from the Buddha religion tomorrow for a school assignment and a little nervous because of my lack of knowledge of their beliefs, I've just began reading about the religion and I have to admit, that it is very interesting to me.

LIFE IS SHORT...LIVE HARD Nomad's Avatar
    Local Date
    06-16-2019
    Local Time
    12:53 AM

Im listening to an audio book on Buddhism now and so far Ive got to tell you Im not impressed.

"The mind cannot be identified as real unless in conjunction with the I in the body which may or not be real. To say the I is real without first identifying the outer and inner I is absurd because while the I may seem real it is impossible to prove on the molecular level but is proveable on a coarser scale. The I is real and unreal simultaneously while the I in body is not real or unreal"

Someone just douse me in gasoline and set me on fire please !
    I AM AWESOME MAN

Local Date
    06-15-2019
    Local Time
    11:53 PM

Smile Re: Are there any Buddhists here?

I am a Buddhist and Daoist

Local Date
    06-16-2019
    Local Time
    02:53 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Liling View Post
    I am a Buddhist and Daoist
    Are you from China Liling?

Local Date
    06-15-2019
    Local Time
    10:53 PM

Hi,
    I'm a Shingon Buddhist monk living in Nara, Japan, but moving back to the states this winter. There is a video of the temple and garden that I'm affiliated with here if you are interested: Japanese Temples And Their Serene Gardens . Someone mentioned it earlier, but it really is just a journey. It think it is also quite difficult to lump all of the Buddhists into one category. Each sect, country, and individual teacher have their own beliefs and ways of doing things.
    Having passion for something is great, but fanaticism in any religion is naive and often close-minded.

Local Date
    06-16-2019
    Local Time
    02:53 AM

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bez View Post
    HI Jen...I belong to a Buddhist organisation that follows the teachings of Nicherin Daishonin (The SGI) There are thousands of Groups in the US. Try this link for a group near you www.sgi-usa.org (go to 'Find Us' link)

I don't know about the issue of the 'creation', but I do know several people that can help. I'll make some enquiries. Regarding the 7 heavens and 7 hells.....we study the 10 states of life and hell is 1 of these and may be heaven is represented by 'Rapture'. I guess there are many forms of buddhism, but as far as I know it all started with Shakyumani Buddha who is claimed to be the first of many.
    I'll be interested to know what you think of the SGI link....good luck. xxxx
    I was raised in to a mosh of catholicism (uncle), and SGI Buddhism (grandmother from japan). Both of which i am glad prayed/chanted for me while I battled and survived cancer at the age of 5. As I read about these religions as and traced them back to how they originated, I found that being Buddihsm started long enough before christianity for its philosophy, and theology to reach the mideast, as I see that many christian beliefs are adopted from older religions ( Easter, Christmas, The idea of resurrection.) the Golden rule, some of the ten commandments, turning the other cheed, and keeping your enemies closer are very similar to Buddihst beliefs. Me personaly though I still chant every night to my dai gohonzon (dont attend regular chapel meetings for there are no SGI centers close enough to wher I live now). I believe that more importantly that I chant every day, pay respects to Ikeda, or promote buddhism, is that I treatiothers as a buddhist respectably, and help others become better people as best I can, as I believe if I help them better them they being a better person will only better myself.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10