Make these ads go away.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: This House supports the application of military armed force beyond national borders

Local Date
    12-12-2019
    Local Time
    10:49 AM

This House supports the application of military armed force beyond national borders

Tony Blair spoke about the the role of the UK's Armed Forces in the 21st century in the latest of his Our Nation's Future lectures today.

The full text of his address is on http://www.number-10.gov.uk/output/Page10735.asp

In it, he invites ForumGarden (among many other meeting places) to debate whether "the combination of hard and soft power is still the right course for our country". He concludes his lecture with:
    It is not easy to have this debate with the swirl of recent publicity about the conditions of our Armed Forces - however wrong or exaggerated it might be; or when we are in the middle of two deeply controversial engagements of our troops. Yet this is the right time to debate and decide it precisely because of such stormy argument.

The reason for the storm is not this or that grievance or conflict. Its origin is the new situation we face. The post Cold War threat is now clear. The world has changed again. We must change with it. I have set out the choice I believe we should make. I look forward to the debate.
    I would be pleased to engage in Tony Blair's national debate by opposing this motion.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

England's troubles will increase until the bishops open Joanna Southcott's box.
    It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

Local Date
    12-12-2019
    Local Time

This House supports the application of military armed force beyond national borders

Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    Tony Blair spoke about the the role of the UK's Armed Forces in the 21st century in the latest of his Our Nation's Future lectures today.

The full text of his address is on http://www.number-10.gov.uk/output/Page10735.asp

In it, he invites ForumGarden (among many other meeting places) to debate whether "the combination of hard and soft power is still the right course for our country". He concludes his lecture with:
    It is not easy to have this debate with the swirl of recent publicity about the conditions of our Armed Forces - however wrong or exaggerated it might be; or when we are in the middle of two deeply controversial engagements of our troops. Yet this is the right time to debate and decide it precisely because of such stormy argument.
    The reason for the storm is not this or that grievance or conflict. Its origin is the new situation we face. The post Cold War threat is now clear. The world has changed again. We must change with it. I have set out the choice I believe we should make. I look forward to the debate.
    I would be pleased to engage in Tony Blair's national debate by opposing this motion.
    Well I certainly couldnt argue FOR it. I cant think of a thing I would vehemently argue against more, than this.
    ~Quoth the Raven, Nevermore!~

Local Date
    12-12-2019
    Local Time

Re: This House supports the application of military armed force beyond national borde

This seems a good week to find people supporting, perhaps. Far? Clipper? bozooka? Any other gung-ho vets out there listening?

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.

Local Date
    12-12-2019
    Local Time

Re: This House supports the application of military armed force beyond national borde

This seems a good week to find people supporting, perhaps. Far? Clipper? bozooka? Any other gung-ho vets out there listening?
    I am a vet of the first gulf war too. I still oppose.

Clipper

Sorry. I don't go sticking my nose into other Country's affairs. I refer to that as respect.

Now altho I am no longer on Active Duty I can assure you that I was gung ho then and I am gung ho about protecting a sacred Memorial from desecration.

Also....I have never gone on record here as to opposing or supporting this war in Iraq and I defy you to find any such posting by me.

Local Date
    12-12-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Clipper View Post
    Sorry. I don't go sticking my nose into other Country's affairs. I refer to that as respect.

Now altho I am no longer on Active Duty I can assure you that I was gung ho then and I am gung ho about protecting a sacred Memorial from desecration.

Also....I have never gone on record here as to opposing or supporting this war in Iraq and I defy you to find any such posting by me.
    LOL! Clipper! I would do no such thing!

Local Date
    12-12-2019
    Local Time

I think my stance on this subject is well documented in the garden.

Clipper

Quote Originally Posted by Raven View Post
    LOL! Clipper! I would do no such thing!
    LOL! Raven my post was NOT directed at YOU.....

ps: I did the Gulf War as well back in 91....no fond memories about that one either.

Local Date
    12-12-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Clipper View Post
    Would that your wretched President were of the same mind, Clipper. You remember how he weaseled his way into his first term saying he'd listen to other nations?
    If we're an arrogant nation, they'll resent us. If we're a humble nation, but strong, they'll welcome us. And it's -- our nation stands alone right now in the world in terms of power, and that's why we have to be humble. And yet project strength in a way that promotes freedom. So I don't think they ought to look at us in any way other than what we are. We're a freedom-loving nation and if we're an arrogant nation they'll view us that way, but if we're a humble nation they'll respect us.

http://www.debates.org/pages/trans2000b.html
    Respect doesn't seem to have figured highly on his agenda since he got into the White House.

The proposed motion isn't country-specific at all, you'd not be sticking your nose into anything but a limited-post explanation of your position. Four posts each, that's all.

Clipper

Register to remove this ad.
    Would that your wretched President were of the same mind, Clipper. You remember how he weaseled his way into his first term saying he'd listen to other nations?
    If we're an arrogant nation, they'll resent us. If we're a humble nation, but strong, they'll welcome us. And it's -- our nation stands alone right now in the world in terms of power, and that's why we have to be humble. And yet project strength in a way that promotes freedom. So I don't think they ought to look at us in any way other than what we are. We're a freedom-loving nation and if we're an arrogant nation they'll view us that way, but if we're a humble nation they'll respect us.

http://www.debates.org/pages/trans2000b.html
    Respect doesn't seem to have figured highly on his agenda since he got into the White House.

The proposed motion isn't country-specific at all, you'd not be sticking your nose into anything but a limited-post explanation of your position. Four posts each, that's all.
    Here is my 3rd post........COUNT ME OUT.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast