+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Technological Dependency

Local Date
    07-23-2019
    Local Time
    03:43 PM

Technological Dependency

China now has the ability to selectively destroy satellites.

How dependent on satellites are we? What damage could be done to the economy of a western country by taking out our satellites?

What would happen to our ability to navigate?
    What if we couldn’t predict weather as accurately?
    How dependent on satellites is our communications infrastructure?
    How vulnerable would our military operations and troops be?

It seems the more we rely on technology the weaker and more vulnerable we become.
    Schooling results in matriculation. Education is a process that changes the learner.

Local Date
    07-23-2019
    Local Time
    11:43 PM

Re: Technological Dependency

Does the USA have the ability to selectively destroy satellites, Clint?

Oh - answers to questions. Very, and a catastrophic impact on the economy and defence capability of the country.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

Local Date
    07-23-2019
    Local Time

Does the USA have the ability to selectively destroy satellites, Clint?

Without a doubt. I don't think using that ability would be as useful for us as it would be for others against us. We are much more dependant on satellites than others.

I keep thinking we have used technology to the point it is no longer our friend.
    Schooling results in matriculation. Education is a process that changes the learner.

Local Date
    07-23-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    Without a doubt. I don't think using that ability would be as useful for us as it would be for others against us. We are much more dependant on satellites than others.

I keep thinking we have used technology to the point it is no longer our friend.
    Perhaps if your demented administration were to negotiate a treaty to ban space weapons, like every other country on Earth wants, the overdependency you identify would be less at risk. Or do you know of any other country that doesn't want such a treaty negotiated? Or do you think the current administration isn't refusing to even consider talks toward getting one? "Russia and China have advocated such a treaty, but President Bush rejected those calls when he authorized a policy that seeks to preserve 'freedom of action' in space", as that world opinion leader the Orlando Sentinel put it this morning.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.

Local Date
    07-23-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    Perhaps if your demented administration were to negotiate a treaty to ban space weapons, like every other country on Earth wants, the overdependency you identify would be less at risk. Or do you know of any other country that doesn't want such a treaty negotiated? Or do you think the current administration isn't refusing to even consider talks toward getting one? "Russia and China have advocated such a treaty, but President Bush rejected those calls when he authorized a policy that seeks to preserve 'freedom of action' in space", as that world opinion leader the Orlando Sentinel put it this morning.
    That’s exactly what I’m concerned about. The pursuit of technology by the world is leading to the need for treaties. The one with the most advanced technology is going to be the most reticent when the others want restraint. I don’t care if it’s your country’s leader or mine. Treaties like laws are made with complete understanding they will be broken. Why would a nation at war agree to something that would potentially make it weaker?

We just keep holding our courses, afraid to make a correction because the new course will just result in a different collision.

Local Date
    07-23-2019
    Local Time

Welcome to the 21st century everybody.

Get used to it.
    "We are never so happy, never so unhappy, as we imagine"

Le Rochefoucauld.

"A smack in the face settles all arguments, then you can move on kid."

My dad 1986.

Scrat

The space arms race is here. Next it will be projectile carrying vehicles in space that are capable of wasting entire cities and ultimately entire continents with kenetic weapons flying at hypervelocities and the potential to make nuclear weapons obsolete.

It seems the more we rely on technology the weaker and more vulnerable we become.
    I only have one thing to say to that.

Duh!!!!

It may be really pretty or mean looking and have a HUGE price tag but it doesn't mean it's a better mousetrap.

Diuretic

Perhaps we should revist the old Soviet doctrine. If I remember rightly they eschewed such things as fly-by-wire for their aircraft in favour of less advanced but more robust systems. I also read somewhere that a Mig-29 Fulcrum could allegedly land on a paddock and that its undercarriage resembled that of a tractor in its strength. Of course Russia, with an eye on export sales, may have dumped all that and gone with the flashy approach these days but who knows?

Local Date
    07-23-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Diuretic View Post
    I also read somewhere that a Mig-29 Fulcrum could allegedly land on a paddock and that its undercarriage resembled that of a tractor in its strength.
    That story got started as a result of a mistranslated article from the Soviet Air College's quarterly magazine which described an incident which had resulted in a female Fulcrum pilot ejecting. The original text commented that such bail-outs almost always resulted in back injury but that on this occasion the unharmed woman landed in soft mud and straw, and that she was better protected than the average pilot as she'd spent years weight-lifting in her spare time. These attributes were inadvertently applied by Western Intelligence analysts to the plane itself and have been recopied ever since.

Diuretic

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    That story got started as a result of a mistranslated article from the Soviet Air College's quarterly magazine which described an incident which had resulted in a female Fulcrum pilot ejecting. The original text commented that such bail-outs almost always resulted in back injury but that on this occasion the unharmed woman landed in soft mud and straw, and that she was better protected than the average pilot as she'd spent years weight-lifting in her spare time. These attributes were inadvertently applied by Western Intelligence analysts to the plane itself and have been recopied ever since.
    Then it should have read:

"Mig-29 pilots are recruited mainly from the Tractor Corps of the Soviet Women's Farming Collective - Uzbhek Brigade. This practice was followed by the Soviets due to the easy transferability of skills from driving a tractor to flying the Mig-29. Some pilots have reported that the tractors had better handling...."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast